VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 44, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Apparently they „clarified“ now that only empty accounts, without any games, can be deleted

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 21 of 44, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In GOG I still have the "classic" version of Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics, I bought them at least 10 years ago now they are no longer sold, more "modern" versions are the ones available I guess, but I can still download my classic versions without problems, and they still work on XP and on Win7 which was what I used at that time, GOG complies with its clients, not like others.
I'm not trying to advertise or anything like that. Everyone is free to decide where they put their money.
Square Enix did not close my account but although they appear in my collection I can no longer download the classic versions of Final Fantasy VII and VIII, so it is useless. The same as if my account had been closed, if I can no longer access my games.

Reply 22 of 44, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've already had my "uPlay Account" deleted years ago for "inactivity" despite the fact I registered Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 to beable to play it online. (Despite owning the game on Steam it should have been using Steamworks API for everything, but whatever I guess)

So I'm a little late to this party, I don't really care. R6Vegas2 was the only uPlay required thing I had and it was a extremely mediocre, embarrassingly bad entry in Rainbow Six.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 23 of 44, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A bit off-topic... Looks like it's not just Ubisoft that's purging inactive accounts. Other companies are also following suit.

I just received a mail from Google on my other email addresses (that was set as recovery email) and they're going to make a similar 2-year window for "inactive accounts" as well. It's not yet an issue for me as my account is still active to a limited extent, mainly through microG on my Android devices.

The wording in the mail is clear. "An inactive account and any content in it will be eligible for deletion from December 1, 2023." So anything you bought with it will be gone for good if your Google account is deemed inactive and deleted. While it does state that "After a Google Account is deleted, the Gmail address for the deleted account cannot be used again when creating a new Google Account." so by principle, no one should be able to register another Gmail account (?) using the same name to deceive others masquerading as you minus typosquatting, one can't really believe in every word Google said.

Not to mention Google is considering making something that could possibly be used as a "DRM for web pages" and the authors of the proposal are now in panic mode following community backlash -- they've locked down the repo since a few days ago so only those who have contributed in the past can post now.

(?) EDIT: I think Google's wording here kind of confused me after a bit further reading... I think I might have made a mistake to consider Gmail and Google account the same thing... but from what I remember I do need to use a Gmail to access other parts of Google stuffs, and that was a long time ago, when Android was still 2.x at that time. Now I'm wondering if the inactive Gmail account itself would still remain after the purge of the Google account associated to it...

Reply 24 of 44, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it's the same as with streaming movies

if you buy a movie on dvd it is there unchanging and can be watched as long as the dvd and your dvd reader lasts

if you rent a movie over streaming (and subscription to something like netflix is a form of renting) then you are agreeing to the terms - which mean the provider can remove it and/or edit it and the only option you have is stay subscribed or unsubscribe

if you are 'buying' games that are in any way reliant on a service provider then you are renting and as much as you may feel cheated should you lose it all when the company decides to switch off (or collapses!) you did agree to it

however good a game might be, if its relies on services then i just wont buy it - it really isn't a loss

most though will carry on 'buying' (ie renting) and younger generations, more used to it, will perceive that as "the way we do things" and see those who bemoan the negatives as out of touch with "how things are done" in the same way we might see older folk complaining about automated systems, lack of bank tellers, automated customer service systems and online everything as being stuck in the past

Reply 25 of 44, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This feels kind of an advertisement for the Xbox Game Pass and the equivalent Ubisoft has. But it can't and doesn't apply to all games.

An example can be given for old GTAs, they have an extensive singleplayer modding community and a user would want a lifeline possession of the game instead of when the game is on the subscription.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 26 of 44, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

God, I hate when publishers mess with older games making mandatory updates.
https://www.ign.com/articles/killer-instinct- … side-big-update
It should be considered them violating their own EULA and grounds for a refund. These are not the conditions we agree to when we buy games.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 27 of 44, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-11-26, 08:48:

It should be considered them violating their own EULA and grounds for a refund. These are not the conditions we agree to when we buy games.

EULAs will typically include clauses that the software or service may be updated at any time.

I wonder if such clauses have ever been challenged in court.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 28 of 44, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-11-26, 14:40:
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-11-26, 08:48:

EULAs will typically include clauses that the software or service may be updated at any time.

There are also times when the publisher makes a one sided change to the EULA with an update and if you don't agree to it you lose access to the old version while don't gain access to the new version. Especially if/when you can't disable auto updates.

This is the first game I ever refunded. I would have refunded more for this exact reason, but it's rare that publishers mess with the games I bought at such a convenient time (within the refund window).

Maybe I'll buy an XBone and the retail version of the game. If anyone has an XBone and, how does it fare with game updates? Are they mandatory? Can they be declined like on the 7th gen consoles? I don't care if it blocks me from online multiplayer, I don't care about anything other than local multi when it comes to fighting games.

Reply 29 of 44, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And they do it again.
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-crew-deliste … down-early-2024
It was a decent racing game. A little sad to see it go. If you own it, enjoy while you can.

I consider this reverse piracy. At least I got it on a free giveaway, but imagine for the people paid for it AND its DLC.

Reply 30 of 44, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-11-26, 14:40:

If they are against the law, they can very easily be used against a publisher.

See: how Valve now offers refunds for Steam purchases

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 31 of 44, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The interesting question is - does purging an account "free" all serial keys attached to it?
Probably not, because well, the driving force here is greed, but if it did - it would be somewhat easier to justify.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 34 of 44, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rain wrote on 2024-01-11, 13:52:

noticed rayman legends and origins removed from my account 🙁(

That game was part of a previous killing spree.
https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/ubisoft- … -titles-3260586

Reply 36 of 44, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2024-01-11, 13:59:

Huh? What does shutting down of online services or purging of empty accounts have to do with removing specific games from existing accounts?

I just verified - both Origins and Legends ("purchased" for free when Ubi had giveaways) are still present and playable from my Ubisoft Connect account.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 37 of 44, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2024-01-11, 15:26:

Huh? What does shutting down of online services or purging of empty accounts have to do with removing specific games from existing accounts?

I just verified - both Origins and Legends ("purchased" for free when Ubi had giveaways) are still present and playable from my Ubisoft Connect account.

Weird, i think gonna email them what happened my games

Reply 38 of 44, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's been some time, what was the downloadable content in Brotherhood and The Forgotten Sands anyways?

(About forgotten sands, did they patch the Ubisoft drm locked DOORs?)

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 39 of 44, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-01-11, 19:15:

It's been some time, what was the downloadable content in Brotherhood and The Forgotten Sands anyways?
(About forgotten sands, did they patch the Ubisoft drm locked DOORs?)

The DLC for Forgotten Sands included a couple of alternate costumes and challenge arenas. Some were only through Uplay, some through pre-order bonuses. If you had them prior to the discontinuation of the servers - the will still be available. If not - probably no way to unlock them legitimately now.

Regarding the DRM doors - good question, I haven't tried replaying the game since they shut down the servers.

And of course, the cracked Skidrow releases just have everything working. 😆