VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 44, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You don't own a piece of software unless it's online DRM-free, and doesn't rely on any external server to work. Anything else is just an indefinite license that can be revoked at any time.

I probably have too many old laptops.

Reply 41 of 44, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The DLC for Forgotten Sands included a couple of alternate costumes and challenge arenas. Some were only through Uplay, some through pre-order bonuses. If you had them prior to the discontinuation of the servers - the will still be available. If not - probably no way to unlock them legitimately now.[/quote]

What about downloading them anyways?

dr_st wrote on 2024-01-11, 22:38:

Regarding the DRM doors - good question, I haven't tried replaying the game since they shut down the servers.

And of course, the cracked Skidrow releases just have everything working. 😆

This game introduced me to what DRM is. Back in the day, piracy was at peak in our country, game devs rarely imported a game so everything the 5th standard version of me knew were shops who would sell the games for Rs100/disc ( ~1USD), nor did I know what piracry/crack is. Once I got the 2 disc game with Skidrow crack of course, I was stuck at a door. I googled it and went from site to site. The v2 Skidrow crack ended up being my first download ever.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 42 of 44, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-01-12, 02:47:

What about downloading them anyways?

I don't know if there is anything to download. I believe it is just a setting that is unlocked in the saved game. I actually tested it by re-downloading the full game again last night (I had removed it from my main PC a while ago) - when I launched the game, all the costumes, arenas and my progress were intact.

The way I got them in the first place was another example of the annoyance of DRM. I bought a new unopened copy of the Russian Collector's Edition, which had extra codes to unlock the DRM. Uplay recognized the main key, but not the extra keys. I had to nag Ubisoft support for about 3 weeks until they sent me a new key to unlock the full content. I believe this was because originally, Ubisoft had a different, non-Uplay DRM for the Russian market, relying on some local services, which had been discontinued a long time ago.

dr_st wrote on 2024-01-11, 22:38:

This game introduced me to what DRM is. Back in the day, piracy was at peak in our country, game devs rarely imported a game so everything the 5th standard version of me knew were shops who would sell the games for Rs100/disc ( ~1USD), nor did I know what piracry/crack is. Once I got the 2 disc game with Skidrow crack of course, I was stuck at a door. I googled it and went from site to site. The v2 Skidrow crack ended up being my first download ever.

I remember that too. 😀 Still have the cracked version installed on an old PC somewhere.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 43 of 44, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Relevant article: The new Ubisoft+ and getting gamers comfortable with not owning their games

One of the things we saw is that gamers are used to, a little bit like DVD, having and owning their games. That’s the consumer shift that needs to happen. They got comfortable not owning their CD collection or DVD collection.

How much greedier can these people get?

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 44 of 44, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-01-17, 09:45:

Relevant article: The new Ubisoft+ and getting gamers comfortable with not owning their games

One of the things we saw is that gamers are used to, a little bit like DVD, having and owning their games. That’s the consumer shift that needs to happen. They got comfortable not owning their CD collection or DVD collection.

How much greedier can these people get?

Ubisoft is going to get a real surprise when people start sailing the high seas and "own" their games again. That's what I love about GOG being able to download the offline installers. Once I'm done building my nas I will be downloading all of the offline installers from my GOG library.