Common searches

Reply 40 of 44, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-12-28, 07:46:
appiah4 wrote on 2023-12-28, 06:16:

That reminds me I started playing COD:MW again this year (not the remaster) only to ragequit (AGAIN) at the stupid sniper mission where you have to fend off wave after wave of hostiles. That game has absolutely SHIT mission design, and seeing it came out in 2007 I really fail to understand why it had the huge impact and following it did. Bad Company dumps all over this hot mess. It is mediocre at best, and utter trash at times. I guess the multiplayer was fun or something, but even that I can't see being better than Bad Company..

At the end under the ferris wheel? I beat that game several times even on the hardest difficulty. What worked out for me on that part is hiding in that small ticket box or whatever. It still sucks, but at least that's good cover. All CoD games up to 4 had a mission like that. Like the Pegasus Bridge mission in the first one and Hill 400 in the 2nd. All of them only works if you play as a dirty camper and hide in a place where the enemy can only shoot at you from one direction.

Yes, the ferris wheel mission indeed. And yes, it sucks ass 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 41 of 44, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh right, I wondered about that mission, like some sort of prank by the designers. I did beat it few times by being in that box and sniping them from it, not sure what's the catch, sometimes they do manage to hit you when you're standing there, but not most of the time. Maybe you have to be at some very exact coordinates in there.

Although the last time I played it, I found another spot where you can easily survive, if you go back past the building you came from to the ferris wheel area and to the left, you can hide inside the building there, normally this is an area where the enemies also spawn if you're not there. Then you should only have some of them left when the helicopter arrives.

Oh, the memories, many hours went into Call of Duty multiplayer back in those years, I spent the most in COD:MW2 and COD2. COD:MW2 was when they started locking tweakability, no dedicated servers etc. although one thing I liked about matchmaking, there was some variety, I often found servers people setup boring as they'd be running the same map(s) and gametype over and over. Though that's not specific to Call of Duty.

COD Black Ops released 1 year later by another developer retained the developer console, but I stopped following franchise afterwards. I've read the recent release broke the sales record for the franchise. Multiplayer of the new MW2 is supposed to be really fun, but one guy on YouTube said regarding the singleplayer campaign that they just didn't have the balls to be bold. Heh, I still remember there was some controversy over No Russian mission in the old MW2. Man, when did all those years go, the old MW2 runs even on Windows bloody XP...well maybe not the original anymore due to Steam, although it seems there was always someone who coded some mod for it lifting the original copy's limitations, no DRM is more like a side effect, but yeah, console and moddability. I guess debate over ethics regarding such mods are a debate for another topic.

COD World at War is an interesting one from the era, WWII again, but I think it is good at showing the misery of war. It has the gritty atmosphere and a fitting soundtrack. Also the first entry with zombies. Do they dare to remaster this one properly? But I'm also curious how COD1 and COD:UO would look if remastered. The first ones, no regenerating health and if I recall correctly, no medpacks on Veteran difficulty, but a good 'ol quick save/quick load feature.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 42 of 44, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Remasters.. It's in every form of media nowadays. Maybe we have all become too fat and lazy to invent anything new. I get it why they do it, it's probably a safe cash grab. But that's maybe just me being cynical.

At the bright side it's good that the owners of the intellectual property actually do something with it, instead of just using it as reasons to sue creative amateurs who try to fix old broken games.

I mean some parts of older games were not perfect, take GTA vice city 1sr person action on pc for instance. Don't know if that has been improved upon. Also being able to play online again in other games is cool I suppose.

Reply 43 of 44, by bobsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I prefer rereleases than remakes. Like the XBLA version of Doom, Duke 3D World Tour or at least remakes like POSTAL Redux or the Monkey Island remake because they retain a good chunk of the original experience and allow it to be enjoyed as it was. Remakes usually try way too hard to make everything shiny and new and I'd rather just have the same game made with modern tools so people can get at least most of the original experience. A good example of how not to do a remake would be the new Kingpin remake. Low effort Unity engine slop pushed out for little to no reason.

PIII : ASUS CUSL2-C, Pentium III @ 733MHz (Coppermine), Voodoo3 3000 AGP, 384 MB SDR, Audigy 2 ZS,
C2D : ASUS P5Q, Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz (Wolfdale), Radeon HD 5750, 4GB DDR2-1066, 256GB SSD

Reply 44 of 44, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bobsmith wrote on 2024-01-04, 16:24:

I prefer rereleases than remakes. Like the XBLA version of Doom, Duke 3D World Tour or at least remakes like POSTAL Redux or the Monkey Island remake because they retain a good chunk of the original experience and allow it to be enjoyed as it was. Remakes usually try way too hard to make everything shiny and new and I'd rather just have the same game made with modern tools so people can get at least most of the original experience. A good example of how not to do a remake would be the new Kingpin remake. Low effort Unity engine slop pushed out for little to no reason.

yes indeed. also there is a point in a remake that its not really a remake just an all new game "based on" the old one, nothing wrong with that in itself but some remakes are actually new games completely