VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mandrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an old JBL 500bt headphone with a dead battery, it's charging for long hours and only lasts for 2 hours max.
I have a bunch of old smartphone batteries lying around, some of them are from broken phones that were barely used, like a Samsung 2000 mAh battery.
They are both 3.7V and li-ion type. Of course there is a size difference but I don't care, I'll just duct tape it to the side of the headphone, I only use it at home or during long, boring yard work. It's a workhorse.
The question is: is there some capacity limiter in these devices that prevent me from charging and using a 2000 mAh battery instead of the factory 600 mAh one?
It feeds from an external charger that is a standard 5V 3A USB phone charger.

Reply 1 of 6, by KungfuPancake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Single cell charging circuitries are pretty much always the same: depending on the battery type there is a voltage cutoff, regardless of the capacity. So in theory the new battery would charge with the same current as the old battery, thus taking longer for a full charge, it should fully charge nonetheless though. Other considerations might be heating of the involved components when charging over three times as long.
Very sophisticated charging mechanisms might measure the time/current and calculate the capacity of the battery, but this is usually done in laptops, smartphones and other devices that go through lots of charging cycles.

Reply 2 of 6, by Mandrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the info man, I installed the new battery, the headphone circuit charged it under 4 hours and it's been in constant use every since ( 9 hours of playtime so far). I didn't have to buy a replacement battery for $30. I added a clip lead so I can just switch around li-ion batteries without having to disassemble the headphone ever again. It won't win a designer award but it works.

Reply 3 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good stuff. The only way round you need to be more careful is putting a lower capacity in place of a higher capacity, when the charger could overheat it by charging too fast.

There is also maybe a problem with factory fresh new cells of larger capacity than design as apparently some need a particular charge rate and discharge to "intialise" them properly. So potentially you stick a brand new 2000mAh cell in your device that took 700mAh and only end up achieving 1500mAh with it or something. Should not happen with reclaimed cells though.

I got pouch cells going up like startled puffer fish round here. Even things I just bought cheap to steal the cells from for other stuff.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 6, by Mandrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-07-31, 18:20:

I got pouch cells going up like startled puffer fish round here. Even things I just bought cheap to steal the cells from for other stuff.

I never even considered using different batteries until I checked the original battery prices on these devices. C'mon, a 600 mAh battery for $30? That's a crime. I bought that headset for $45 new and they are still for sale $40 today! So battery prices made this otherwise good product disposable. Sad.

Reply 5 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, though they're a bit cheaper if you can find them on aliexpress or similar, but usually the shipping takes long enough I forget what I wanted it for, or time moved, project got stale, found a workaround etc.

I think I'm gonna move to putting external 16450 holders on stuff, or dangling on a dongle, dedicate a "universal" lithium charger I've got to just charging 16450s spare to keep swapping round... at least you're handling them often enough to catch timebombs.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 6, by Mandrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-07-31, 19:44:

Yup, though they're a bit cheaper if you can find them on aliexpress or similar, but usually the shipping takes long enough I forget what I wanted it for, or time moved, project got stale, found a workaround etc.

I think I'm gonna move to putting external 16450 holders on stuff, or dangling on a dongle, dedicate a "universal" lithium charger I've got to just charging 16450s spare to keep swapping round... at least you're handling them often enough to catch timebombs.

I don't trust anything from China, I bought a replacement battery for an Xperia X marketed as genuine a few years back and it was complete crap. Same with LCD assemblies, the quality varies too wildly for my taste.
The 16450 idea is good though, solves the headache of small capacity built-in batteries that start failing after 3 years.