VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So recently I decided to build myself a new fairly modern PC and while putting everything physically together went okay, this thing is turning into a nightmare trying to get it working right.

Current specs are:
MSI B550 Tomahawk Motherboard
Ryzen 9 5900X CPU
RX 5700 XT Red Devil GPU
32GB G. Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz/CL16 DDR4 RAM
Samsung 980 Pro 1tb M.2 SSD
Crucial MX500 1tb SATA SSD
SATA DVD Drive and a 1tb and 2tb HDD I borrowed from my old computer.

So, the issue is that I installed Windows 10 (21H2) onto my M.2 drive and at first it was doing what you'd expect where the BIOS splash screen would come up and it would seamlessly transition to the windows loading circle and get to the desktop in like a few seconds. But for some unknown reason after a couple more boots it stopped doing this and now it goes to the BIOS splash, then the screen blanks and then it goes to a windows loading circle with no logo whatsoever. I have tried so many things to try and fix this and I'm pulling my hair out at this point, below is a video showing this issue (sorry it looks so bad, this camera tends go out of focus in dark lighting).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTkgjTFqCwI

I removed every SATA drive, removed the BIOS battery and put a new one in, re-installed Windows once, updated the BIOS to the very latest version as of this writing, swapped the GPU with a 6GB GTX 1060, used a Macrium Reflect rescue USB, etc etc... these are the suggestions I got from another forum I posted on about this issue (I wanted to post there first because I know this forum is much more about retro stuff but at this point I'm so frustrated that I wanted to see if anyone here could tell me anything different). Nothing fixes this at all.

And another problem, with both my RX 5700 XT and GTX 1060... I get lots and lots of stuttering in the games I've tried. For example, when loading No Man's Sky you see the scene of zooming into space, well for me I get an absolute ton of skips and pauses during that and it's not smooth at all. Even in-game there's random little and massive stutters here and there.

This is my very first ever totally custom modern build and I'm very disappointed with how this has turned out so far, there's no reason these specs should be performing like this. I'd seriously appreciate any help.

Reply 2 of 16, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-08-06, 22:56:

Give Windows 11 a try? It can't hurt, and perhaps it will reveal something.

I may try that on a spare SATA hard drive, it'll be slow of course but I want to see if it at least functions right.

Reply 3 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd wipe both drives and verify via diskpart or dismgmt that no partitions exist. It's likely that the UEFI is booting an old EFI partition or a corrupted one.
When troubleshooting follow the OSI model and troubleshoot just that issue. Don't bring alot of unrelated things into the mix.
No Man's Sky is not very well optimized, I remember on release a 1080 having similar issues. There have been a ton of updates since then and I don't any of those would be to optimize the game heh. What's more important is if the actual gameplay is okay or not, not the beginning. Use the lowest settings and start from there.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 16, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-08-06, 23:41:

Agree that NMS is not a good test. That starfield sequence (where it is loading shaders IIRC) is famously chuggy.

In-game NMS has some stutters like for example when I pull out the mining beam I can feel a slight stutter when doing so. One time when I was walking around too I experienced what seemed like a 1 second pause, too. The RX 5700 XT I have has a little bit of coil whine and the coil whine stopped during that pause too. Oh, and I checked and don't seem to be having any DPC latency issues.

The only three games I've tried so far are NMS, Flight Simulator 2020 and GTA V. All of them stutter to some degree in pretty much the same ways with either the RX 5700 XT or GTX 1060. I built this PC not only for faster productivity and stuff like that but also because my previous i7-4770/GTX 1060 machine had stuttering with a lot of games. The thing is, while the fps itself is higher on here, the stuttering in NMS for example is pretty much no better. Flight Sim is actually a bit better than on the 4770 but stutters still are very frequent (I know this game is known for some stutters but it doesn't seem like it should be quite to my level). And with GTA V I ran the built-in benchmark and in the log file there are single digit minimums. I'm pretty new to totally custom modern builds, but idk if I expected too much. I was hoping the stuttering would be dramatically reduced or gone entirely. Part of also why I went with what I thought would be fairly fast, low latency ram. And when I watch YouTube videos of games like these running on similar hardware to mine I don't notice these kinds of stutters. Honestly I find stuttering far worse than fps drops. I'll probably try some more games, I'd be more motivated to if I can get this other booting problem sorted out.

Speaking of that, I used diskpart to totally clear out the partitions on a SATA drive I had lying around. I checked before installing and diskpart after running clean showed no partitions whatsoever. I installed Win10 and... loading circle with no BIOS logo at all again just like from the M.2... I'll try Win11 soon just for the hell of it, but I doubt it'll be any different. Like I said, at first I installed Win10 on the M.2 and it behaved like it should, loading circle with the BIOS logo in place and it booted extremely fast. But it just stopped doing it like that for no reason all of a sudden and I have no clue why. It's so annoying.

Reply 6 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm,
Reset the BIOS to defaults
Make sure CPU isn't overclocked
Make sure memory isn't overlocked, disable XMP.
Test with memtest

I ditched the MSI mobo I bought for my living room build (7950x) since it was flaky AF, went with a gigabyte mobo. Because of that I won't be buying any MSI motherboards for 5 years....
Never have any issues with the MSI Meg X570 Unify in my desktop likely because it's a high-end mobo instead of the cheaper made B650M.

Reply 7 of 16, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2023-08-07, 02:10:
Hmm, Reset the BIOS to defaults Make sure CPU isn't overclocked Make sure memory isn't overlocked, disable XMP. Test with memtes […]
Show full quote

Hmm,
Reset the BIOS to defaults
Make sure CPU isn't overclocked
Make sure memory isn't overlocked, disable XMP.
Test with memtest

I ditched the MSI mobo I bought for my living room build (7950x) since it was flaky AF, went with a gigabyte mobo. Because of that I won't be buying any MSI motherboards for 5 years....
Never have any issues with the MSI Meg X570 Unify in my desktop likely because it's a high-end mobo instead of the cheaper made B650M.

Did all those steps, did not fix anything. I tried Win11 briefly too and not only was there no difference with how it booted, but it's actually the first time I ever installed it at all and that UI is literal hell.

I went with this mobo because one of my friends has the same mobo and CPU combo and he's been pleased with it. I told him about this weird behavior and he doesn't have it at all. Mind if I ask what Gigabyte mobo you have just in case I do end up buying another one?

Last edited by thepirategamerboy12 on 2023-08-07, 03:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 16, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apparently, having fTPM enabled in the BIOS can cause stuttering on some AMD systems. Try disabling fTPM, and if that fixes your issue, check if MSI has a BIOS update available for your board.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 9 of 16, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2023-08-07, 03:01:

Apparently, having fTPM enabled in the BIOS can cause stuttering on some AMD systems. Try disabling fTPM, and if that fixes your issue, check if MSI has a BIOS update available for your board.

I already did that, I don't want the TMP enabled in general, but thanks.

Reply 10 of 16, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess at this point I would try different RAM or another slot.

It's also possible that Windows or yourself has installed bad/wrong drivers for something.
You could install a Linux distro and run some Steam (Proton) games that are known to have good Linux support, to check if it's still stuttering.

Last edited by feda on 2023-08-07, 16:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 16, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feda wrote on 2023-08-07, 09:31:

I guess at this point I would try different RAM or another slot.

I guess I should have mentioned that I originally had Corsair Vengeance LPX ram of the same specs as the G. Skill sticks I have in here now. I returned that and got the G. Skill ones because XMP wouldn't work with the Corsair, however I had all these same other problems with those too. I have the sticks spaced out properly for dual channel in the two slots farthest away from the CPU.

Reply 12 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The main issue is AMD GPUs of this era and later ones has stutter issues. Not the drivers. Usually the settings. Turn off instant replay/instant gif feature, disabling Freesync in the Adrenalins--and of course, make sure you have disabled Enhanced Sync. If your monitor is old enough, lock to Vsync of 60Hz or lock to 74Hz. Monitor the temperature of GPU and CPU and make sure they are not too hot.
Also monitor the VRAM utilization, GPU and CPU temperatures during game is running.

Make sure you don't have any memory or CPU hogging stuff.

Make sure it is running at DDR4-3200 which is JEDIC standard. 3600 is overclocked at terrible timings.
Return the Geil memory and pick up set of Crucial Ballistrix memory. This should make PC more reliable. https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comment … ram_is_causing/

If this fails, might have to return the motherboard and get more appropriate chipset like X series for this R9-5900X. B550 is mid range chipset segment. Asus is well regarded with high end motherboards.

Make sure you have good power supply too, old power supply will not do get a Seasonic 700 or 800W Gold or Titanium.

TPM 2.0 is a requirement for windows 11 and supported CPU, yes the R9-5900X is supported too. You should migrate to widnows 11 by now, and be ready when 2025 comes around.

RX 5700 XT is 3 years old and is equivalent to GTX 1060.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 13 of 16, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My PSU I should have also mentioned is a Corsair 750w modular one, 80 Plus Gold and stuff. I looked it up and the Corsair Ballistix are so expensive and atm it's not even available directly from them...

I'm just using an early 2010s DVI monitor (in the case of the RX 5700 XT with adapters), a new fancy Freesync 1440p or whatever is not in the budget atm. Like I said, this is the first time I've ever tried to build a more modern PC (and I'm sorry if this thing sounds like a Verge-tier failure), normally I just don't have the money to do so, but I was able to gather just about enough recently to do so and I don't foresee me having that much cash again any time soon. I can't just keep buying more and more stuff to see what works, that's part of why I'm so frustrated. I had to return the Corsair RAM and I couldn't use the computer at all until I got the refund money to buy the G. Skill for example. I really wish I had someone to go to IRL to help me but I don't know anyone like that, I'm all alone basically.

Right now I have the GTX 1060 in the machine just because it's a lot easier to get to certain things with that installed instead of the big AMD card, and as I mentioned before, I still seem to have stutters with either card. I can't return the motherboard I have because it's one of the few things I bought used... perhaps I learned a lesson but at least it was one of the cheapest parts.

Honestly the most annoying thing for me atm is the bootup, like why did it start so fast before and then stop? Not a single BIOS setting fixes it and clearing it changes nothing either. One of my friends has this same CPU, motherboard and RAM combo and he has none of these issues. And another guy I know has the same GPU (and on a weaker CPU than mine) and he's been happy with it. Should I not go by what my friends have? 🤣

Reply 14 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

See what bios your friend is using and use that
Try your video card in your friends computer if they are local.
Make sure windows is fully updated with the latest amd chioset drivers.

It's frustrating when the issue is a mobo issue since there isn't much you can do about it and if that is the issue you gave to rip it out but on the plus side you get to rethink and clean up the shit you tossed in there. 😀

Reply 15 of 16, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2023-08-07, 21:09:
See what bios your friend is using and use that Try your video card in your friends computer if they are local. Make sure window […]
Show full quote

See what bios your friend is using and use that
Try your video card in your friends computer if they are local.
Make sure windows is fully updated with the latest amd chioset drivers.

It's frustrating when the issue is a mobo issue since there isn't much you can do about it and if that is the issue you gave to rip it out but on the plus side you get to rethink and clean up the shit you tossed in there. 😀

Yeah, I'm thinking about just getting another mobo. My friends I'm talking about aren't local sadly, I'll ask what BIOS he has. It's safe to downgrade a BIOS, right? And I'm using the latest chipset drivers and all.

The thing I hope the most isn't an issue is the CPU, that was the most expensive part of the entire build (and one of the other used parts but looking at it, physically it looked pretty much brand new but just the box was opened).

Reply 16 of 16, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I fixed the bootup problem. I downgraded the BIOS using the method involving the button on the back to version 7C91vAB from 2022... and it's doing the BIOS to Windows loading transition like it should. Crossing my fingers that it stays this way.