VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, I think the reddit website dropped a bad malware that broke my firefox while I was googling for any solutions to help with a guy in this vogons with their stuttering game on upgraded AMD computer. Happened just a hour ago.

What happened, at first I clicked back or anywhere click, Instead launched new firefox window right after closing the reddit tab. Definitely broken. So closed all firefox which promptly crashed, saying refresh needed when I clicked. I ended up with one tab meant I lost all the 150 plus open tabs. I tried several solutions to look into deleted files sessions, all of them, and only one tab was found which detailed about a tab open for vogons "search Geforce 5600" which I did long ago in July.

Is there a way to delve deeper into older deleted sessions to find lost tabs? I'm not liking the heavy handed way of firefox, with one backup made. What firefox needs is at least 10 generations of previous sessions. This happened before but that was years ago. Not happy again. So much rich history lost that I meant to read wikis and finish watching youtube videos, plus open tabs for ebay items lost too, not all are on watch list. I did set the hidden files as shown and previous files enabled in the advanced settings for folders.

That's is considered personal stuff lost same way as lost the data. Tabs is also precious data too, dumb firefox programmers. I wish there is third-party programs that let me back up them automatically and recreate them with few clicks at will, not firefox's way of torturous steps.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1 of 9, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love tabs too ... BUT...
To use Tabs as some kind of a bookmarking system is a little bit insane.
It probably crashed because 150 tabs in not the amount of tabs a normal person would have open.
I consider my 50 open tabs a lot, but all of them are bookmarked because systems can crash... When i go back to tabs that are opened a very long time it sometimes crashes the page because it cant reload.
In case of a crash it tries to open the last opened tabs. If i close it via the x it will not do that. My best guess is that closing the browser properly will clear the opened tabs.
Have you tried the browser history to trace back your visited sites?
And you should consider creating bookmarks... its just 2 klicks 😁 ... i had to learn that too.
I created folders in my bookmarks bar. If someting is useful i drop the url just in one of those folders.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 2 of 9, by wiibur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There exist browser extensions to save your tabs. If you aren't using such an extension, you can't recover your tabs - except maybe by going through your browser history to find the pages you had opened.

Reply 3 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now is irreparable lost. Tried everything I could. Oh well. I don't like firefox methods how this takes care of tab data. One mistake and it loses all. No third generation or more back ups.

Thanks for comments. Yes I have bookmarks but this is already vast too in catalogue form by tree form.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 9, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think any browser has any more than one level of backup, if that.

In any case Firefox has lots of bugs, most of them going back years. I wouldn't trust that it (or any browser) is going to keep working the way you want for any length of time.

Reply 5 of 9, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-08-07, 19:37:

What happened, at first I clicked back or anywhere click, Instead launched new firefox window right after closing the reddit tab. Definitely broken. So closed all firefox which promptly crashed, saying refresh needed when I clicked. I ended up with one tab meant I lost all the 150 plus open tabs.

I highlighted the most important part. I've had this happen to me once, trying to reopen firefox too quickly. The other session was frozen, and launching the new firefox overwrote the earlier session. So what happened is you started another session, before that frozen one closed out completely and then closed the new session triggering the overwrite of the tab information. The best thing I'd suggest if you run out of memory and don't want fix the problem inside the frozen firefox, is to issue the kill command in your task manager (another word, force termination) to all firefox process ids you have open, and watch it go away. Any that aren't frozen will disappear immediately. The frozen window still could take a little bit, but this is ensured if you give it the signal, it will happen as soon as the OS takes control. That will at least let you recover what was last saved when you restart, because it will detect it is a completely new session and ask if you want to restore.

Reply 6 of 9, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bad idea. It's like keeping a game running all the time instead of using its save system. Browsers do crash sometimes, the OS itself might crash, or there might be power outages. The restore function cannot be relied upon to always work correctly.

On top of that, some sites can cause a memory leak or very high CPU usage in the background (well, at least it has happened to me). I don't think I've ever left multiple tabs open permanently.

There are firefox add-ons that can save or set aside tabs. Some tab grouping add-ons can also save them. Another alternative would be to use Edge and its Collections feature.

EDIT: There's also FF's Pocket, but it needs an account. Haven't really used it much.

Reply 7 of 9, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-08-07, 19:53:

I consider my 50 open tabs a lot, but all of them are bookmarked because systems can crash...

I have 317 tabs open and no stability issues. I have personal issues for having that many tabs open 😁
Though I back them up monthly.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 9 of 9, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Generally firefox doesn't crash due to bugs, but it will if you exceed the amount of ram your OS can provide. I used to run firefox on only 4gb of ram, and in the most recent versions, it became easier to hit that, and firefox isn't the most lean here. I've since upped the amount of ram on all my systems, but still don't like when firefox goes above 4gb, because I'd rather have the most ram available for productive work. I don't like running more than 25 tabs because the ui makes it want to scroll off the edge, or other placement issues. But even that I tell others to please close tabs when they are done because I don't like sitting down at a machine that it's hard to hunt down where firefox sticks the tabs, and it really becomes a huge waste.

If you start keeping open 100s of tabs for a long time (only works really if the sites are pretty lean), while you can do that with lots of memory and don't care about wasting more cpu, firefox will start wanting to "idle" the tabs which is basically swapping the tabs to disk, and blanking them out to return memory if you aren't using it. But if you are trying to use 100s of tabs active at the same time, good luck. You are playing with chances to make your firefox "crash", especially when you hit that one demanding site and max out ram.