VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone,

Just found out that there was a special release of Quick Basic 4.5 aimed at game development! 😀
- This was roughly a year before QBasic was bundled with MS-DOS 5 and up.

It also comes with a few sample games based popular genres, like Breakout, Tetris or Missle Command etc.
Or a music program..

The only downside is that the compiler is absent from regular QB 4.5x..
But that could have been fixed by using the regular Quick Basic (or a QB compatible, like Turbo Basic/Power Basic etc).
- In case someone wanted to eventually sell the final game commercially, I mean. A few more, QB compatible alternatives existed, too.

Read advertisement in an old computer magazine here.

A pair of low-res photos from the package are attached.
For higher res photos please see original article/blog entry >here<.

I think it's amazing that if you believe you've seen everything already, there's always something new to discover.
Personally, I've never even heard of that Game Shop, despite being a QB45 fan for ages! ^^

Best regards,
Jo22

Attachments

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 3, by TuesdaysGone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good stuff! I've always been a fan of QuickBasic and BASIC in general. This is something old that's something new to this old man! Thanks for sharing!

Best wishes,

Tony.

ASUS P2B-F 440BX BIOS Rev. 1014 Beta 003
Intel "Katmai" Pentium III 450Mhz
256MB, 80GB, Epson SD-800 Combo FD, Voodoo Banshee 16MB, SB Live, CT7160 MPEG-2 PCI Decoder, 3Com 3C905B-TX PCI NIC, Iomega Zip 100, Creative PC-DVD, Sony CDRW, Win 98SE

Reply 2 of 3, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very cool! I always wanted to learn how to program a game in QBasic as a kid. I used to drool over the source code of cool QBasic games I found online. I would have loved something like this as a kid.

Reply 3 of 3, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used QBasic but never saw QuickBASIC. I was never clear on the relationship between them, if any - the names just made me think they were related somehow. From that article I gather that QuickBASIC was actually older. For a while I remember wanting to track it down because it had a compiler. I think something in the QBasic documentation even suggested it as an upgrade.
The Babbage's store didn't have it but offered to special order it - but the price was like $130 or something. I guess the reason they didn't have it is because it was old.