VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my Windows 10 (spit spit) laptop, the standard icon for batch files (all batch files on the laptop) has been changed, somehow. The batch files themselves are unaltered and run fine, but the point of having icons is that they are easily recognized by the user and tell you what sort of file they represent, so I want to reset the icon back to the original one.

Please note that I don't want to manually change the icon for each batch file individually, I just want to change the default icon, which will then apply to them all. Well, all that I haven't manually assigned a different icon to, which is all of them, I think (I don't think I've manually assigned an icon to any batch file). In earlier versions of Windows, you could easily change icons, but somewhere along the way Microsoft thought it would be funny to hide this option.

So can anyone tell me how to manually change the default icon for programs with the file type ".bat", please?

Reply 2 of 3, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hail-to-the-ryzen wrote on 2023-09-18, 22:22:

Thanks for the suggestion. That program tells me that the icon graphics are stored in the file:

%SystemRoot%\System32\imageres.dll,-68

but there is no 'imageres.dll' file in 'C:\Windows\System32" on my laptop. I have searched the C:\Windows folder, and found four files called 'imageres.dll',and checking them byte for byte reveals that there are two different files, each one has an identical duplicate, so for the purpose of solving this problem, I have two different 'imageres.dll' files that I can put in the "C:\Windows\System32" folder, and see if that fixes the problem.

But I am cautious about messing about with system files (I don't trust Windows), and the two files, which are identical filesizes, have the CRCs of 42BC4464 and C24043B3. Which one is the one that should be in C:\Windows\System32, please? Or is it a different file, with another different CRC?

And would I have to just copy the right 'imageres.dll' file to 'C:\Windows\System32", or would I then have to alter the registry or something, to tell Windows 10 that the missing file is now present again?