VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 280 of 434, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kant explain wrote on 2023-10-07, 04:39:

The past has always fascinated me in one way or another. I don't want to go back though. Things often sucked really hard. When I was about 9 years old I had a stint where I took in every silent movie I could. I started reading about the Norse myths around that time. I've always been kind of a medieval guy, loved that crap since I was 4 (they bought me a medieval playset for my birthday. It turned me into quite the weird kid. And an even weirder adult). I started reading comic books at about 10. When I found out they had a 40+ year history, I did everything I could to read and learn about that. Now I didn't live through those years, but still found the historical nature quite irresistable.
So it shouldn't seem so strange that people who never experienced the classics when they were current still take immense interest in them. Technology is everything these days. People really don't want to be without it. The problem is they overburden themselves with it. I still take in much of what I need from AM radio. I never watch tv, don't even own cable/satellite
There just isn't enough there to interest me. And with so few hours in the day as it is who has the time.

I can really relate to this. Retro tech is like a portal to the past for me. I have an antique radio that I use to listen to old radio shows. I listen to mainly old sci-fi shows, so despite being similar to how people had fun in the past, I'm also enjoying a vision of the future. Similarly, old computers are also a trip to the past for me. The C64 was before my time, but I still love that era of computing. Today I can get a taste of the best parts of various eras, not just the one I grew up in.

I also feel like there's so much stuff to experience than I will be able to consume in a lifetime. Instead of cutting cable, I had to cut out social media. Looking back, it was such an unhealthy habit spending a good chunk of my time on sites like Twitter getting outrage bait fed to me. My time is far better spent reading or doing something productive.

Reply 281 of 434, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-10-07, 06:14:
kant explain wrote on 2023-10-07, 04:39:

The past has always fascinated me in one way or another. I don't want to go back though. Things often sucked really hard. When I was about 9 years old I had a stint where I took in every silent movie I could. I started reading about the Norse myths around that time. I've always been kind of a medieval guy, loved that crap since I was 4 (they bought me a medieval playset for my birthday. It turned me into quite the weird kid. And an even weirder adult). I started reading comic books at about 10. When I found out they had a 40+ year history, I did everything I could to read and learn about that. Now I didn't live through those years, but still found the historical nature quite irresistable.
So it shouldn't seem so strange that people who never experienced the classics when they were current still take immense interest in them. Technology is everything these days. People really don't want to be without it. The problem is they overburden themselves with it. I still take in much of what I need from AM radio. I never watch tv, don't even own cable/satellite
There just isn't enough there to interest me. And with so few hours in the day as it is who has the time.

I can really relate to this. Retro tech is like a portal to the past for me. I have an antique radio that I use to listen to old radio shows. I listen to mainly old sci-fi shows, so despite being similar to how people had fun in the past, I'm also enjoying a vision of the future. Similarly, old computers are also a trip to the past for me. The C64 was before my time, but I still love that era of computing. Today I can get a taste of the best parts of various eras, not just the one I grew up in.

I also feel like there's so much stuff to experience than I will be able to consume in a lifetime. Instead of cutting cable, I had to cut out social media. Looking back, it was such an unhealthy habit spending a good chunk of my time on sites like Twitter getting outrage bait fed to me. My time is far better spent reading or doing something productive.

Whoa! This thread stirred quite a discussion!!!

Guys, your last 2 replies... I also can relate and I so understand you!
Cutting social media! I, who am chronically time-deprived and sleep-deprived, really should consider it and hopefully find some times for my beloved hobbies (permanently sacrificed to zero).
Thanks!

About the 8ish... previous pages of replies and discussions... Well, speaking of time... I'll have to catch up!

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 283 of 434, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kant explain wrote on 2023-10-10, 02:34:

I recommend you call it quits and not read the prior pages 😀

🤣

Reply 284 of 434, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi again. I've searched the web for some C64 related information and found two interesting articles.

One is a modern "port" of Google Maps to C64,
while the other is about a C64 running for 25 years in a car repair shop.

https://hackaday.com/2023/02/04/the-wic64-bri … -maps-included/

http://www.merkur.de/multimedia/commodore-64- … zr-6796875.html

English Translation

14457522_1279382015413316_2384529375572747534_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s350x350&_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=3c63d6&_nc_ohc=T49WcgOEYN4AX8VMyZk&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&edm=ANzqmoQEAAAA&oh=00_AfCa1ADPcBVJQYCNlbrAYuaq7PVVkeXuAemAvz8XzJAySA&oe=655FE884

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 285 of 434, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Btw, speaking of vintage radios and old radio shows..
There's an old website once called "The Interval Signals".
It has audio clips of ancient times gone by.

http://www.intervalsignals.net/

Have fun. 🙂

PS: Back in time, such sites use Real Audio format. So you may need Real Player or Quick Time.
If that's still the case, a Windows 98SE PC running era specific software may help here.

Edit: I forgot to mention, there's also WebSDR of Uni Twente.
In case you want to ride the air waves. 😉

http://www.websdr.org/

Edit: To make a C64 reference, there are also FM receivers (VHF broadcast band radio receivers, actually. American language somewhat simplifies here).

https://lyonsden.net/commodore-64-fm-radio-module/

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 286 of 434, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-10-25, 00:34:
Hi again. I've searched the web for some C64 related information and found two interesting articles. […]
Show full quote

Hi again. I've searched the web for some C64 related information and found two interesting articles.

English Translation

14457522_1279382015413316_2384529375572747534_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s350x350&_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=3c63d6&_nc_ohc=T49WcgOEYN4AX8VMyZk&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&edm=ANzqmoQEAAAA&oh=00_AfCa1ADPcBVJQYCNlbrAYuaq7PVVkeXuAemAvz8XzJAySA&oe=655FE884

that photo is wonderful! the dust, equipment nearby, green text on screen - it's a scene from a 90's B movie depicting a small rebel group hacking the authoritarian global government in a dystopian future!

Reply 287 of 434, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-10-25, 01:17:
Btw, speaking of vintage radios and old radio shows.. There's an old website once called "The Interval Signals". It has audio cl […]
Show full quote

Have fun. 🙂

PS: Back in time, such sites use Real Audio format. So you may need Real Player or Quick Time.
If that's still the case, a Windows 98SE PC running era specific software may help here.

Edit: To make a C64 reference, there are also FM receivers (VHF broadcast band radio receivers, actually. American language somewhat simplifies here).

Hi again. I've searched the web for some C64 related information and found two interesting articles. […]
Show full quote

English Translation

😳 WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gerry wrote on 2023-10-25, 09:21:

that photo is wonderful! the dust, equipment nearby, green text on screen - it's a scene from a 90's B movie depicting a small rebel group hacking the authoritarian global government in a dystopian future!

True indeed!!!
(PS: Not a very distant 'future'... just wait a little more)

Reply 288 of 434, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aries-mu wrote on 2023-10-25, 09:58:
:O WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! […]
Show full quote
Btw, speaking of vintage radios and old radio shows.. There's an old website once called "The Interval Signals". It has audio cl […]
Show full quote

Have fun. 🙂

Show full quote

English Translation

True indeed!!!

I didn't read all the pages, so maybe someone offered same explanation like i will now!
COMMODORE 64 was the FIRST home computer that offered something good, and it didn't cost too much. We all remember the FIRST!!! First love, first sex, first car, first pet, first computer.... You get the point? COMMODORE 64 was the first computer that took peoples heart, and it was sold in milliones (cca 16 000 000)!!!! In that era, there was maybe 20 000 000 home computer in the world, and 16 000 000 were Commodore 64!!!! I lived in Yugoslavia (Croatia today), and it was prohibited to import computers here until 1988 i guess!!! But we all own a Commodore 64! We all had some relatives who had some relative who had some friend who worked in Germany 😀 That guy had to smuggle Commodore under the driver seat of his car (i don't know who owned a original box back than), and we all waited the moment he came back and give us a call and said - He's here!!!! So that feeling, having a home computer in eighties, that is priceless. almost 10 Years after, we all owned a PC, but this was not first love! Commodore was!!!!!!
Sorry for my english, i hope You understood my point.

Last edited by butjer1010 on 2023-10-29, 00:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 289 of 434, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
butjer1010 wrote on 2023-10-25, 11:32:

I didn't read all the pages, so maybe someone offered same explanation like i will now!
COMMODORE 64 was the FIRST home computer that offered something good, and it didn't cost too much. We all remember the FIRST!!! First love, first sex, first car, first pet, first computer.... You get the point? COMMODORE 64 was the first computer that took peoples heart, and it was sold in milliones (cca 16 000 000)!!!! In that era, there was maybe 20 000 000 home computer in the world, and 16 000 000 were Commodore 64!!!! I lived in Yugoslavia (Croatia today), and it was prohibited to import computers here until 1988 i guess!!! But we all own a Commodore 64! We all had some relatives who had some relative who had some friend who worked in Germany 😀 That guy had to smuggle Commodore under the driver seat of his car (i don't know who owned a original box back that), and we all waited the moment he came back and give us a call and said - He's here!!!! So that feeling, having a home computer in eighties, that is priceless. almost 10 Years after, we all owned a PC, but this was not first love! Commodore was!!!!!!

Your English is correct. I understood very well, as you have conveyed the concept perfectly. Good point!

Thanks for your contribution

Reply 290 of 434, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yea, I second that.
And I want to expand on that by going back to what was said earlier:
The Commodore 64 may not have been the first of its kind, and it may not have been the best machine on the market. But it was cheap and easily available (where computers were usually only sold in special electronics/computer stores, Commodore moved to department stores, toy stores and such), and a lot of bang for the buck.
That's why it was the first computer for so many people.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 291 of 434, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agreed. Especially on the being cheap/affordable part. It's being mentioned very often on the net and in old magazines (just recently noticed that in an article about ham radio fair in '89, btw).
Commodore was very successful at being cheap financially competitive, not much unlike McDonalds was/is (makes me wonder why they never teamed up).
Their business strategy seems to have had triggered human basic emotions on a large scale, which is interesting from a sociological point of view.
- Not that there weren't other qualities. Kids for example, care little about price. They value things in other ways; maybe smarter ways, even. And the C64 surely was better than the equally popular Atari VCS ever was.

People seem to feel satisfied if they have an advantage over someone, if they saved money on something or outsmarted someone. A friend of our family, Heinz, is just like that.
This is a concept I never really understood, still don't understand. Emotionally, I mean. But I also don't get drunk (get a headache instead) or feel jealousy or malicious joy, so.. Hm. I'm weird. 🤷
To me (poor), money always just has been an item for exchange. A momentarily possession. Nothing that lasts or can be saved (hi inflation!). It comes and goes, like the tides.
To others, some of my relatives included, it seems to be the centre of their life. They want to be the richest at the graveyard, it seems.

Personally, I never understood this concept, as much as I tried to. But according to science, it's related to the way the rewarding centre of the brain works.
Proper stimulation releases Dopamine, which makes the people feel happy. For a short moment, at least. Interesting.
Getting "high" by getting views and "Likes" (social media) causes same phenomenon.
Personally, I merely felt that way for a compliment if having done something right.

But yeah, for many money seems to be a very part of everything, as much as it saddens me to accept (still hoping for a better future). 🙁
To give an example, in my personal environment, I still hear stories of people who tell me that they paid a hefty sum for something long long ago.
Also about their first computers or cars, when they had to pay the initial price, rather than the later discount price.
They repeat it over and over - for years, always with a teary eye and a slightly psychotic facial expression.

This way of thinking/feeling deeply saddens me, because I feel they miss out on life that way. Lost money is just lost money.
A missed opportunity or the loss of a beloved pet, friend or relative is something I'd rather cry about.

Personally, if I was them, I think I would feel different. I think I wouldn't mind the lost money so much, but rather be glad I was capable to spend it in first place.
Looking back, I'd be glad to have been allowed to be alive back then, to be a part of the early user community of the day, being an "early adopter" so to say.
Being a witness of the pioneering days of computing. It would be making me feel proud, kind of. That's something priceless that money can't buy.

Edit: Now that I think of it, butjer1010 did sum it up pretty well. It's about the positive memories. 😄 👍

I mean, if something I need/want is out of reach, financially, I'd just save up money and wait a bit longer (say, a few months).
That's why my PC project take so long, also, suppose. But on the bright side, waiting may increase the anticipation. 😀
Which makes it even more special, maybe. Like watching a VHS with friends on the weekends used to be a special event to many people.
But if time is due, an installment payment is a possibility, too. Like if the washing machine or refrigerator fails and must be replaced soon.

All in all, I think, the only emotional bond I have to money is the feel of safety/security it may provide.
Having a bit of money in reserve, for emergency purpose, provides a bit of emotional support.
Being able to say, pay the vet or to buy a medication at the pharmacy.
That being said, that's just me, of course. Each to his own.

_
Anyway, back on topic of computing. I've always wondered why we (at home) haven't really noticed the C64 throughout all the years before.
But other systems, like the Ti99, Apple II, ZX81, Atari 400/800, IBM PCs and so on.
I wondered if it was because we had been focusing on productivity software, being early computer users or being just weird. 🤷

To my joy, I think I've finally found an (partial) explanation (at least) as to why we (at home) haven't heard of the C64 so much (as I wrote a few pages earlier).

Just recently, while searching the web for the rare "Quick Disk" add-on, I stumbled over an interesting computer site, which covers the market situation of the day..
In parts, I think, it could be because we were early adopters of Sharp computer line from before the C64 was cheap/omnipresent, before it had developed such an ecosystem.

But it wasn't exactly the price difference, maybe, since we (actually, my father) didn't ever own the cheap basic model but one of the higher end ones (plotter+tape drive, MZ-731).
Judging by the market situation mentioned below, I think it rather was because of the installed user base and quality (keyboard, PSU etc).

I mean, the earlier model the MZ-700 series was compatible to, the MZ-80K, was around since the late 1970s.
So there already had been expansion hardware, user clubs, magazines, etc.

So maybe, in Germany, for a while, the Sharp series was a bit like a C64 before the C64, so to say. In terms of popularity. I find this thought to be amusing. 😁
The fact that it could boot CP/M also surely helped to gain ground (third-party floppy controller need).
- After all, that's what the Commodore 128 made stand out (to us) - even it was very late to the party.

Edit: What's also interesting here, maybe a bit ironic, too: Both the Commodore and Sharp MZ datasettes are technically related.
Both use 1200 Baud and the standard FSK tones (1200/2200Hz ?). There's even a modification to read MZ tapes on PC using the ViC-20/C64 datasette drive.
Similarly, the internal MZ Plotter unit was used on other platforms, as well. It must have been some sort of standard component, I guess.

"In terms of performance, the MZ-700 series was no miracle right from the start.
Even though the overall design, the modular concept and the quality of the components are clearly better than the COMMODORE C64 introduced at the same time,
the new SHARP suffered heavy losses against this new miracle computer, especially in Europe.

The fact that both computers had fairly similar sales prices when they were launched didn't make things any better for SHARP.
For an MZ-711 without any expansion, around 1000 DM were due in 1983, for a C64 the price was first 1495 DM and then, just a few months later, only 698 DM.
SHARP couldn't even begin to lower prices that much.

Because SHARP had now penetrated directly into the home computer market, it suddenly found itself exposed to enormous competition, especially in Europe and the USA.
Unfortunately, high quality and modularity were not enough and sales remained sluggish.
The relatively low level of software coverage and the hardly any exchange opportunities among colleagues or in schoolyards naturally did not improve the situation either.
"

Translation. Source: https://www.kultboy.com/kultsysteme/109/

_
It seems that In Europe, the Sharps were popular among users in UK, Germany and Czechoslovakia.
With the latter having developed a small but fine MZ-800 community over the years.
But in the grand picture of computing, we've become just a footnote, merely.
I assume, just like with the EG-2000 users, no one really remembers us or our systems.
By comparison, even the lesser known MSX scene is far bigger.

Edit: My apologies. After reading my posting, I believe that was a bit too much again. I didn't mean to sound negative, either. 🙁
To my defense, it's nighttime in my place. A time in which all kinds of thoughts come to mind, were you can easily get philosophical about things.

I think Scali was spot on about the big presence of the C64, as well. (A picture of ToysRus just shows up in my mind.. 😁)
What's not to be forgotten is that the C64 was being available in all sorts of hard/software bundles, as well. Game bundles, too.
So grand parents and parents likely found them appealing to their (grand) children, no matter the price tag.

Here's an example.

VideoSuperGame64_Bamse.jpg

Source: https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/Bundle

Edit: The ToysRus comment was real (the logo and the giraffe really came to mind), but I didn't check if it was true that it sold C64s (I assumed it).

There's even an old Christmas advertisement. What's interesting is the mentioning of GEOS, in 1986. GeoPaint can be seen, even.

geopaint3.gif

Source: https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/File:geopaint3.gif

The application looks like this, it shares visual similarities with PC Paintbrush, which is cool.

As I mentioned a few pages before, GEOS was a respectable achievement (not poking fun here).
If only the C64 had an extra graphics board or something that GEOS could have used..

//My video channel//

Reply 292 of 434, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-10-26, 01:37:
Agreed. Especially on the being cheap/affordable part. It's being mentioned very often on the net and in old magazines (just rec […]
Show full quote

Agreed. Especially on the being cheap/affordable part. It's being mentioned very often on the net and in old magazines (just recently noticed that in an article about ham radio fair in '89, btw).
Commodore was very successful at being cheap financially competitive, not much unlike McDonalds was/is (makes me wonder why they never teamed up).
Their business strategy seems to have had triggered human basic emotions on a large scale, which is interesting from a sociological point of view.
- Not that there weren't other qualities. Kids for example, care little about price. They value things in other ways; maybe smarter ways, even. And the C64 surely was better than the equally popular Atari VCS ever was.

People seem to feel satisfied if they have an advantage over someone, if they saved money on something or outsmarted someone. A friend of our family, Heinz, is just like that.
This is a concept I never really understood, still don't understand. Emotionally, I mean. But I also don't get drunk (get a headache instead) or feel jealousy or malicious joy, so.. Hm. I'm weird. 🤷
To me (poor), money always just has been an item for exchange. A momentarily possession. Nothing that lasts or can be saved (hi inflation!). It comes and goes, like the tides.
To others, some of my relatives included, it seems to be the centre of their life. They want to be the richest at the graveyard, it seems.

Personally, I never understood this concept, as much as I tried to. But according to science, it's related to the way the rewarding centre of the brain works.
Proper stimulation releases Dopamine, which makes the people feel happy. For a short moment, at least. Interesting.
Getting "high" by getting views and "Likes" (social media) causes same phenomenon.
Personally, I merely felt that way for a compliment if having done something right.

But yeah, for many money seems to be a very part of everything, as much as it saddens me to accept (still hoping for a better future). 🙁
To give an example, in my personal environment, I still hear stories of people who tell me that they paid a hefty sum for something long long ago.
Also about their first computers or cars, when they had to pay the initial price, rather than the later discount price.
They repeat it over and over - for years, always with a teary eye and a slightly psychotic facial expression.

This way of thinking/feeling deeply saddens me, because I feel they miss out on life that way. Lost money is just lost money.
A missed opportunity or the loss of a beloved pet, friend or relative is something I'd rather cry about.

Personally, if I was them, I think I would feel different. I think I wouldn't mind the lost money so much, but rather be glad I was capable to spend it in first place.
Looking back, I'd be glad to have been allowed to be alive back then, to be a part of the early user community of the day, being an "early adopter" so to say.
Being a witness of the pioneering days of computing. It would be making me feel proud, kind of. That's something priceless that money can't buy.

Edit: Now that I think of it, butjer1010 did sum it up pretty well. It's about the positive memories. 😄 👍

I mean, if something I need/want is out of reach, financially, I'd just save up money and wait a bit longer (say, a few months).
That's why my PC project take so long, also, suppose. But on the bright side, waiting may increase the anticipation. 😀
Which makes it even more special, maybe. Like watching a VHS with friends on the weekends used to be a special event to many people.
But if time is due, an installment payment is a possibility, too. Like if the washing machine or refrigerator fails and must be replaced soon.

All in all, I think, the only emotional bond I have to money is the feel of safety/security it may provide.
Having a bit of money in reserve, for emergency purpose, provides a bit of emotional support.

_
Anyway, back on topic of computing. I've always wondered why we (at home) haven't really noticed the C64 throughout all the years before.
But other systems, like the Ti99, Apple II, ZX81, Atari 400/800, IBM PCs and so on.
I wondered if it was because we had been focusing on productivity software, being early computer users or being just weird. 🤷

To my joy, I think I've finally found an (partial) explanation (at least) as to why we (at home) haven't heard of the C64 so much (as I wrote a few pages earlier).

Just recently, while searching the web for the rare "Quick Disk" add-on, I stumbled over an interesting computer site, which covers the market situation of the day..
In parts, I think, it could be because we were early adopters of Sharp computer line from before the C64 was cheap/omnipresent, before it had developed such an ecosystem.

But it wasn't exactly the price difference, maybe, since we (actually, my father) didn't ever own the cheap basic model but one of the higher end ones (plotter+tape drive, MZ-731).
Judging by the market situation mentioned below, I think it rather was because of the installed user base and quality (keyboard, PSU etc).

I mean, the earlier model the MZ-700 series was compatible to, the MZ-80K, was around since the late 1970s.

So maybe, in Germany, for a while, the Sharp series was a bit like a C64 before the C64, so to say. In terms of popularity. I find this thought to be amusing. 😁
The fact that it could boot CP/M also surely helped to gain ground (third-party floppy controller need).
- After all, that's what the Commodore 128 made stand out (to us) - even it was very late to the party.

Edit: What's also interesting here, maybe a bit ironic, too: Both the Commodore and Sharp MZ datasettes are technically related.
Both use 1200 Baud and the standard FSK tones (1200/2200Hz ?). There's even a modification to read MZ tapes on PC using the ViC-20/C64 datasette drive.
Similarly, the internal MZ Plotter unit was used on other platforms, as well. It must have been some sort of standard component, I guess.

"In terms of performance, the MZ-700 series was no miracle right from the start.
Even though the overall design, the modular concept and the quality of the components are clearly better than the COMMODORE C64 introduced at the same time,
the new SHARP suffered heavy losses against this new miracle computer, especially in Europe.

The fact that both computers had fairly similar sales prices when they were launched didn't make things any better for SHARP.
For an MZ-711 without any expansion, around 1000 DM were due in 1983, for a C64 the price was first 1495 DM and then, just a few months later, only 698 DM.

Because SHARP had now penetrated directly into the home computer market, it suddenly found itself exposed to enormous competition, especially in Europe and the USA.
Unfortunately, high quality and modularity were not enough and sales remained sluggish.
The relatively low level of software coverage and the hardly any exchange opportunities among colleagues or in schoolyards naturally did not improve the situation either.
"

_
It seems that In Europe, the Sharps were popular among users in UK, Germany and Czechoslovakia.
With the latter having developed a small but fine MZ-800 community over the years.
I assume, just like with the EG-2000 users, no one really remembers us or our systems.

Edit: My apologies. After reading my posting, I believe that was a bit too much again. I didn't mean to sound negative, either. 🙁
To my defense, it's nighttime in my place. A time in which all kinds of thoughts come to mind, were you can easily get philosophical about things.

I think Scali was spot on about the big presence of the C64, as well. (A picture of ToysRus just shows up in my mind.. 😁)
What's not to be forgotten is that the C64 was being available in all sorts of hard/software bundles, as well. Game bundles, too.
So grand parents and parents likely found them appealing to their (grand) children, no matter the price tag.

Here's an example.

Edit: The ToysRus comment was real (the logo and the giraffe really came to mind), but I didn't check if it was true that it sold C64s (I assumed it).

There's even an old Christmas advertisement. What's interesting is the mentioning of GEOS, in 1986. GeoPaint can be seen, even.

geopaint3.gif

The application looks like this, it shares visual similarities with PC Paintbrush, which is cool.

As I mentioned a few pages before, GEOS was a respectable achievement (not poking fun here).
If only the C64 had an extra graphics board or something that GEOS could have used..

Wow! What an analysis! I have no experience in the products you mentioned, but well done and thanks!

Reply 293 of 434, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
butjer1010 wrote on 2023-10-25, 11:32:
I didn't read all the pages, so maybe someone offered same explanation like i will now! COMMODORE 64 was the FIRST home compute […]
Show full quote
aries-mu wrote on 2023-10-25, 09:58:
:O WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Have fun. 🙂

Show full quote

English Translation

True indeed!!!

COMMODORE 64 was the FIRST home computer that offered something good, and it didn't cost too much. We all remember the FIRST!!! First love, first sex, first car, first pet, first computer.... You get the point? COMMODORE 64 was the first computer that took peoples heart, and it was sold in milliones (cca 16 000 000)!!!! In that era, there was maybe 20 000 000 home computer in the world, and 16 000 000 were Commodore 64!!!! I lived in Yugoslavia (Croatia today), and it was prohibited to import computers here until 1988 i guess!!! But we all own a Commodore 64! We all had some relatives who had some relative who had some friend who worked in Germany 😀 That guy had to smuggle Commodore under the driver seat of his car (i don't know who owned a original box back that), and we all waited the moment he came back and give us a call and said - He's here!!!! So that feeling, having a home computer in eighties, that is priceless. almost 10 Years after, we all owned a PC, but this was not first love! Commodore was!!!!!!

Your English is spot on, and I understood what you said 😀 thanks for a nostalgia trip 😀 It reminds me of, when I got a certain Depeche Mode album back in 2001, three months before it came out 😁 And man what a great concert it was in Parken in Copenhagen 😀

Jo22 : I hoped you liked the GEOS video I linked to, on page 8 in this thread 😀

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2023-10-26, 14:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 294 of 434, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Agreed. Especially on the being cheap/affordable part. It's being mentioned very often on the net and in old magazines (just rec […]
Show full quote

_

"

_

Here's an example.

geopaint3.gif

I was in a mood to wrote this kind of analysis, but i thought no one would read all that! I was wrong, i read Your whole comment 😀 So, there is so much to write about Commodore, but I need to be concentrated on many stuff. Your comment was enjoyable to read, even though is so extensive. Thanks for sharing all of this with us. There was much more subjects than just Commodore, but they were all related to our lives in eighties (and todays life, unfortunately, it is not so great like than).

Reply 295 of 434, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a concept I never really understood, still don't understand. Emotionally, I mean.

just to pick out a tiny bit of an interesting post, there is satisfaction in getting something that normally costs $100 for $50, but that isnt about outsmarting others its more the positive gap between expectation and reality

i suppose some people also tie money to self perception of relative social status, being high status in a social group has advantages - i can even see why it would be selected for and thus become a common trait. being happy to be of 'high status' isnt in itself bad imo, but being happy to see others lowered is (as it requires no personal effort combined with enjoyment of others suffering)

anyway, interesting post - let yourself flow in text as often as you like 😀

Reply 296 of 434, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No way to treat a lady/yer baby.

Do love that green screen though.

Reply 297 of 434, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kant explain wrote on 2023-11-07, 01:02:

No way to treat a lady/yer baby.

Do love that green screen though.

Nah, I think it suits her. She's a worker class girl, after all. 😁

Or she's a pavement princess, maybe, since this article is car related? 😉

Seriously, though, there's another picture were she's clean.

https://en.indir.com/news/this-commodore-64-i … -used-in-poland

What's also has to be kept in mind, is that the C64 isn't unprotected.

Inside a pristine C64, there's an RF shield that covers the whole PCB.

So even if there's a lot of dirt on the shell,
it's unlikely that it has reached the motherboard. 🙂👍

Edit: About the monitor.. I second that! The little guy is tough.
It still looks fine and no burn-in damage! 😎

Edit: The second article mentioned the monitor, its an Neptun 156. Cool little fellow!

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neptun_156

//My video channel//

Reply 298 of 434, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi again, found something interesting again.
It maybe fits the title, even. It's about how the C64 shaped a whole generation, after all.

Ok, long story short: In my country's Wikipedia, there's a wiki for "Generation C64", which is in a similar context to "digital natives".

It says :
"Generation C64 or C64 generation refers to those ages who grew up
with the first generation of home computers and PC games in the 1980s.
[..]
From 1983 onwards, the namesake Commodore 64, with its extensive hardware equipment,
gave an entire generation of young people access to a powerful home computer for the first time at an affordable price.
[..]
In terms of vintage, the Generation Golf and Generation X, named after other focuses, are included.
The C64 generation is on the threshold from digital immigrants to digital natives,
who have had the new technologies around them from an early age.
[..]"

Source: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_C64

English Translation .

As you see, the C64 seems to be about everywhere. It's haunting me! 😂🥲

Btw, that's likely also in parts the root cause for my little love/hate relationship with the C64.
I've never been a mainstream person, often swimming against the stream.

I guess all that retro hype of the past years makes me feel unconsciously uncomfortable with it at times. 🤷‍♂️

//My video channel//