VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 300 of 434, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kant explain wrote on 2023-11-08, 00:36:

So I'd like to ask, what percentage of homes in each European country had them?

Here in germany around 3 million c64 were sold (counted in 1995).
If only one c64 was owned by one of the 81 million germans (number also from 1995) it would be around 3.4 percent.

I dont know how to calculate homes... Is a home counted as 3 or 4 people? I think the average family has 1.45 children here... Does it depend on the country how many people are in a home?
How do i calculate the percentage of single homes compared to families?

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 301 of 434, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't rack your brain over it. I just wanted some kind of numbers.

3.4% really isn't a lot. I would like to say that's kind of representative of c64s in the US. Not many people at all. Similar to the percentage of people who actually read comic books growing up. Instead og getting their intro to marvel/dc via cartoons.

Reply 303 of 434, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kant explain wrote on 2023-11-08, 00:36:

So I'd like to ask, what percentage of homes in each European country had them?

Relatively few in England/Wales/Scottland/Ireland I reckon. They had so many native brewed systems.

The UK market was hugely mixed - you had the incredibly popular Spectrum models, as well as Amstrad CPC, Acorn (BBC and Electron), and of course the C64. In smaller numbers you had the Dragon, Enterprise, MSX (only MSX1, we never got an official MSX2/2+) any other models were in tiny numbers.

The big three in the 8bit home market were always Sinclair, Amstrad and Commodore.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 304 of 434, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hugely mixed indeed... in the UK we also had TexasTI/99... Atari something-or-other... Oric Atmos... Jupiter Ace...sometimes even came across the Tatung Einstein. There are probably others too.

What never seemed popular in the UK at the time (based on what I saw in shops and magazines) was Apple. I always assumed they were too expensive for home users, and schools went for BBCs and then the ARM Acorns (and RMs I suppose). Never came across Tandy much either (wasn't the Dragon a clone of one of the Tandy models?), though there was once a Tandy store in Bournemouth iirc, next to C&A.

Reply 305 of 434, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kant explain wrote on 2023-11-08, 04:03:

Similar to the percentage of people who actually read comic books growing up. Instead og getting their intro to marvel/dc via cartoons.

In the 60s there were few DC/Marvel cartoons in the UK, limited channels and limited broadcast times. We had the Adam Ward live action Batman and probably cartoon Superman, that's all I saw. No marvel on TV until that (imho crap) 1970s Hulk and Spiderman. Can't say what proportion read DC/Marvel comics before then, me and my friends all did. Once more cartoons came along (1990s or beyond), sure more people watched cartoons than read comics.

Reply 306 of 434, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There were Marvel cartoons in the 1960s. These were panels taken from stories that were.more or less comtemporaneous, but were animated sligjtly. Real hack jobs. I watched a few in 77/78. I believe I have 2 or 3 on super8 reals in my attic. I found them in a store in Florida when on vacation.

I actually was referring to more modern cartoons. Nowadays the comics seem prohibitively expensive, especially when you actually remember them selling for 30-50 cents each. Now 4 - 5 usd I guess. Many more cartoons and they're essentially free.

That was an extremely fond hobby of mine. Even though I almost never bought anyafter just prior to turning 13, it's a side of yourself you never really entirely move away from. Imho that was the absolute best time to be reading them (ok I did spend an ample amount of energy obtaining back issues. What I consider the bronze age to be the very end of the 60s to about 1980). Various periods had their appeal though. Many people may not be aware but Marvel produced virtually no costumed characters between 1950 and 1962. All horror/sci-fi/kaiju stories.

Reply 308 of 434, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kant explain wrote on 2023-11-09, 23:31:

There were Marvel cartoons in the 1960s. These were panels taken from stories that were.more or less comtemporaneous, but were animated sligjtly. Real hack jobs. I watched a few in 77/78. I believe I have 2 or 3 on super8 reals in my attic. I found them in a store in Florida when on vacation.

I actually was referring to more modern cartoons. Nowadays the comics seem prohibitively expensive, especially when you actually remember them selling for 30-50 cents each. Now 4 - 5 usd I guess. Many more cartoons and they're essentially free.

That was an extremely fond hobby of mine. Even though I almost never bought anyafter just prior to turning 13, it's a side of yourself you never really entirely move away from. Imho that was the absolute best time to be reading them (ok I did spend an ample amount of energy obtaining back issues. What I consider the bronze age to be the very end of the 60s to about 1980). Various periods had their appeal though. Many people may not be aware but Marvel produced virtually no costumed characters between 1950 and 1962. All horror/sci-fi/kaiju stories.

Even if you don't like the animation, I'd still argue that the soundtrack for Spiderman holds up today:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yCF8JU30gXI

Reply 309 of 434, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Different production. Those were from the 60s? I had thought 70s.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E0p-dSCqtEw&pp= … XJhdGhvbg%3D%3D

I am not familiar with the first jingle. Suffer through that, and you get to hear Captain America's song:

When Captain America throws his mighty shield
Those who chose to oppose his shield must yield
(Makes no grammatical sense)
When he's lead to a fight
And the duel is due
Then the Red, and the White, and the Blue come through
When Captain America throws his mighty shield!

It's all downhill thereafter (regarding jingles). The Spiderman song is probably the snappiest.

Last edited by kant explain on 2023-11-10, 03:16. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 311 of 434, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Poor Hulk fans. Spiderman got a great theme song and music in general. Hulk got whatever that was. I'm not into superheroes, but I'd assume that Spiderman was their top superhero. Maybe that's why he got a great soundtrack?

Reply 312 of 434, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What made Spiderman ( or the Xmen for that matter) so popular is beyond me. I think it might be that through the character Marvel (or Stan Lee specifically) could pander to a younger demographic.

Yeah. Those jingles, other then CA, the Hulk leading the pack, were pretty nauseating. The CA is shit also, let's be honest. But has something less crappy then the others.

Reply 313 of 434, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kant explain wrote on 2023-11-08, 04:03:

Don't rack your brain over it. I just wanted some kind of numbers.

3.4% really isn't a lot. I would like to say that's kind of representative of c64s in the US. Not many people at all. Similar to the percentage of people who actually read comic books growing up. Instead og getting their intro to marvel/dc via cartoons.

Isn't a lot??? Are You aware that in 80-ties weren't that many computers in homes like today??? You need to calculate that. There were 16 000 000 C64 sold, and maybe there were 25 000 000 computers in the world (in homes)! I don't know how old are You, but You don't understand those times when You claim something like that!

Reply 315 of 434, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kant explain wrote on 2023-11-10, 21:03:

Of people that owned c64s or even computers the numbers weten't high. Whether in Europe or the US. That was the jist of what I was saying.

Where in Croatia are you?

Well, You're wrong! Never before (and after), one PC had such dominance in numbers over all the others!
Kutina

Reply 316 of 434, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Um, were there clones/kits of the 64, by any chance ?
The Apple II, ZX81 and ZX Spectrums had seen quite a few, um, "compatibles" during their lifetime.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 317 of 434, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
butjer1010 wrote on 2023-11-10, 21:10:

Of people that owned c64s or even computers the numbers weten't high. Whether in Europe or the US. That was the jist of what I was saying.

Well, You're wrong! Never before (and after), one PC had such dominance in numbers over all the others!
Kutina

I can't understand why you're so angry. Maybe it's a Croatian thing (I'm half) 🤣. Maybe you misunderstand. There weren't many homes with computers in the 80s, by comparison to today. Many had c64s, regardless of what continent we're examining. I think those are accurate statements.

Kutina is west and south of Zagreb. My mother was from a town about an hour south of Rijeka.

Reply 318 of 434, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kant explain wrote on 2023-11-10, 21:27:
butjer1010 wrote on 2023-11-10, 21:10:

Kutina

I can't understand why you're so angry. Maybe it's a Croatian thing (I'm half) 🤣. Maybe you misunderstand. There weren't many homes with computers in the 80s, by comparison to today. Many had c64s, regardless of what continent we're examining. I think those are accurate statements.

Kutina is west and south of Zagreb. My mother was from a town about an hour south of Rijeka.

I'm not angry at all, i just realized that You are not old enough to understand the "Greatness" of C64 😀 Sorry if You thought i was angry!
My grandmother lived in Rijeka (Trsat). I was there every Year for 2 months 😀 Rijeka is my second home 😀