VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys,

I need advices. Although this is not literally a vintage project, I suspect it requires that mental flexibility and deep experience that you people here have.

The problem:
• Water service meter located on the street, outside of the house, inside a manhole covered by a cast iron manhole lid that is heavier than heck
• Water provider requiring users to "read" the meter every 3 months and sending the reading to them to avoid insane bills (they'd just make a 'predictive' calculation and blast your bank account with what they expect you consumed)
• The procedure is very inconvenient. Not to talk about my 2 broken bones in my lower back, 2 damaged discs, and slipped spine, needing to find somebody to help me every time to lift that piece of neutronium
• The cast iron would shield wireless transmissions most likely

Solution:
I was thinking of placing some sort of camera inside the chamber, pointed at the water meter and accessible remotely

Challenges:
• Very close distance of the camera from the meter, requiring great auto-focus and zoom abilities
• Transmission: cast iron lid... Ways to work around?
• Choice of technology
• Light: the camera must be IR capable of course (unless I wanna also install a remotely-controlled LED light inside the hole... mmm....)
• Power: I still need to supply power to the rig, somehow...

And, of course, any possible retro-looking aspect would be a nice addition!

Thanks.

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 1 of 10, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sure you could put some kind of arduino project down in the hole to take snapshots of the meter at the appropriate time and communicate with it over bluetooth/wifi but I think that would be solving the wrong problem. A better plan would be to install a water meter inside the house, if you don't have one already, correlate the reading on there with the one in the hole, and figure out your usage that way. Or just do what the utility wants to do and make an estimate without even looking at any meter.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 2 of 10, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bakemono wrote on 2023-09-26, 13:38:

I'm sure you could put some kind of arduino project down in the hole to take snapshots of the meter at the appropriate time and communicate with it over bluetooth/wifi but I think that would be solving the wrong problem. A better plan would be to install a water meter inside the house, if you don't have one already, correlate the reading on there with the one in the hole, and figure out your usage that way. Or just do what the utility wants to do and make an estimate without even looking at any meter.

mmm.... thanks.

Well, the estimation won't work. At least once/year they demand a physical reading of the actual thing, and a related adjustment (which always ends up in having to pay more, a big bill for the difference. Because, even if you diligently communicate the readings every 3 months, still, you cannot communicate the readings earlier than 1 month before the next bill time, so, they are still going to make predictions for that 1-month period each time, even if you communicate your reading the last useful day. And it always ends up being underestimated, with you being billed all of the sudden for the difference).

Reply 3 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If there are any holes in the 'cast iron manhole lid' you could perhaps use one of those inspection cameras. they tend to have lighting integrated.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 10, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2023-09-26, 16:38:

If there are any holes in the 'cast iron manhole lid' you could perhaps use one of those inspection cameras. they tend to have lighting integrated.

Ooooh that's an idea! And I do have one! And I might drill a hole and put in some sort of rubber cap... mmm... Columbus' egg? Thanks!

Reply 5 of 10, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sue them and claim a compensation for personal injury. Then they will be happy to install a water meter inside your house with a convenient lightweight cover.

Ah, a retro-looking aspect - compose a statement of claim on a vintage computer and print it on a vintage matrix printer. 🙂

Reply 6 of 10, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-09-26, 17:15:

Sue them and claim a compensation for personal injury. Then they will be happy to install a water meter inside your house with a convenient lightweight cover.

Ah, a retro-looking aspect - compose a statement of claim on a vintage computer and print it on a vintage matrix printer. 🙂

🤣!!!

But my spine's damages were not due to the neutronium manhole lid! They were older. I won't even attempt lifting it.

Reply 7 of 10, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-26, 17:23:
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-09-26, 17:15:

🤣!!!

But my spine's damages were not due to the neutronium manhole lid! They were older. I won't even attempt lifting it.

It doesn't matter. You have a spine's damages and they force you to make your health problem even worse. By the way, who told you that when you tried to open it, this didn't cause problems to your damaged spine?

Reply 8 of 10, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-09-26, 17:27:
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-26, 17:23:

It doesn't matter. You have a spine's damages and they force you to make your health problem even worse. By the way, who told you that when you tried to open it, this didn't cause problems to your damaged spine?

Because it was an old accident occured in the gym during a heavy deadlift.

Reply 9 of 10, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-26, 17:43:

Well, I'm not trying to convince you to sue them. In your place I'd sue them. But you, of course, may install a video studio in a water meter compartment instead. 🙂

Reply 10 of 10, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-09-26, 17:57:
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-26, 17:43:

Well, I'm not trying to convince you to sue them. In your place I'd sue them. But you, of course, may install a video studio in a water meter compartment instead. 🙂

🤣