VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm finding it difficult to stop wondering about how the dream computer magazine would be and what would it talk about.

(I will keep re-editing this first post as ideas evolve and suggestions come in. Or should I copy-paste-update-post it newly each time??? 🤔)

I finally decided to post a hypothetical structure, which is a very early draft that will surely evolve countless times and make this dream grow and mutate incessantly.

First, some GENERAL SPECS:

• The retro portion of the magazine starts from January 1988 and then goes ahead, month by month. So, to have an easier feel, the magazine will start on January of the whatever future year the dream will come true. E.g.: Jan 2024 - Jan 1988, and so on... Or maybe, instead of setting up an arbitrary start date, one could decide to start the retro-part 40 years before the release date of this dream magazine, aiming for it to be born on a January. E.g.: This dream magazine's first issue is released on Jan 2025, minus 40 years = the retro portion starts from Jan 1985. But with a limit! No later than Jan 1989. So, if the dream magazine really comes true at any point in time late rthan Jan 2029, the retro portion still starts from Jan 1989. Cause, hey, I don't wanna miss my favorite period!!!
• The retro portion will progress as if we were truly living in January 1988, hence even the tone of the descriptions, texts, interviews, reviews, will act accordingly. Like: "The 386 SX has just been released" etc.
• Retro ads will be retrieved as much as possible and published as part of the retro portion(s) of the magazine. Heck, who didn't love or still doesn't love to look at those ads, all the price lists of PCs and parts... compare with current prices and parts and specs...
• Rigorously print, possibly using 100% tree-free, recyclable, moisture resistant synthetic paper (e.g.: BOPP) [I know, costs... remember: this is a dream. Besides, they claim that, on the long-term, with BOPP you save money down the line]
• Digital version available: but with 30 or 60 days delay from the print release, to encourage the purchase of the print version
Minimum 800 pages per issue [I know I know. Remember: this is a dream. But wait until you see the contents below... I'm sure it'll need even more than this]
• Glossy, smooth touch feel (like our good old magazines of past times)
• Retro-modern mirrored. For every article or review of a retro product, there shall be a corresponding article or review of nowadays' most probable corresponding/equivalent modern product. For example: a review of a Pentium Pro PC will correspond to a review of a Xeon PC. Which Xeon CPU, since there's a gazillion since many years? Again, corresponding. Was it an early or late Pentium Pro? It will be determined on a case by case basis... at the author(s)' discretion.
• The retro portion must perfectly imitate the visual style and layout of the classics (e.g.: early 90s PC Magazine, which in Italy was called PC Professionale, MC Microcomputer also in Italy https://www.digitanto.it/mc-online/ , that kind of stuff)
• The magazine will clearly state that this is a COMPUTER magazine. Therefore, you won't find in here fillers like smartwatches, smartphones, refrigerators, washing machines........ just because they got a computer inside. Those are computerized-products but are other products. This magazine will be a hardcore COMPUTER magazine: PCs and related components, peripherals, software, games, etc. For phones and that other stuff, there's already plenty of magazines around. The soul of this magazine is a retro computer magazine (80s-90s), and in those times such gadgets didn't even exist. The pages covering modern/current products will simply be 'corresponding' current products.
• Consoles will be covered, because of the gaming section and because they represent a strong pillar of the retro world, the same goes for Commodore 64, Amiga, etc.
• AI will be covered
• Everything covered (drivers, utilities, etc.), except in case of copyright restrictions, will be contained in:
   a) a DVD in the magazine, wrapped with the magazine, contained in a clear plastic thin sleeve to facilitate logistics
   b) The magazine's website
• The magazine's website: VERY SIMPLE. No messy stuff. Simply, you get to the home page, there's the big cover of the current print issue and then a "past issues archive" section (besides the basic standard sections, such as about us, contact us, career, etc.). You click on the main current cover and you can see the table of contents and then all the articles, just the initial excerpt (subscribers get the full text of course). A few selected articles are available in full text publicly for everyone. If you get in the archive, you see a long list of past years... with the list of the 12 issues for each month, little cover preview. You click on each cover and get the same story as the current issue. After 1 year from the release of any given issue, you can read publicly for free all the articles in full text

Main "parts" of the magazine (which will be divided into sections and subsections, see below), just conceptually, not in order:

• News
• Readers' mail (Q&A, Letters)
• Hardware
• Software
• Gaming
• Education
• Programming
• Audio-video: Actually, about this, I'm not sure whether to spread it through the hardware and software sections, or make a dedicted section, which will cover hardware, software, and stuff. Mmm... not sure.

SECTIONS (just putting draft notes here as they come to mind, not to forget them. Very incomplete)

1)...

2)...

3)...

X) GAMING
   * Open source DOS games 2 threads: One about Open source DOS games and Rare and lost demo/shareware releases wanted list (thanks WolverineDK)

X) TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS ALMANAC
   * All peripherals' FSB & Wait States
   * Motherboards

X) MALWARE: The virus of the month

x) PERFORMANCES OPTIMIZATIONS

x) TIPS & TRICKS & CHEATS

x) OPERATING SYSTEM(S)

x) EDUCATIONAL SECTION: There will be also a considerable educational portion on a variety of disciplines: Just follow the lessons, issue by issue, study and review them during each month, and do the exercises, and you will become automatically skilled and expert in such disciplines. Educational sub-sections (are they too many??? 🤔😅):
   * Cybersecurity
* Math: from A to Z. From the most basic to the most advanced/exotic/insane math
                  (If anybody is wondering: no smartphones cause it's a PC magazine, and we put math lectures? There's several reasons. Math is important for coding. Geometry and math for cad, game
                  programming. Math skills don't shine within the general population. The school system sucks but we need to reconcile relativity with quantum physics: we need brains. There might be
                  another Einstein out there and they don't know it. Who knows, maybe they'll discover their talent by reading our dream magazine...).
   * Literature: There will be a space exploration-focused, slightly dark, sci-fi novel, published issue by issue... actually, photo-novel, with illustrations made by AI, or at least contributed by it.

x) PROGRAMMING SECTION:
* Assembly
* C++
* Python
* JavaScript
* HTML
* CSS
* Excel VBA
* Azure
* Active Directory
* MS-DOS internal and external commands
* CMD
* PowerShell
* Bash
* MacOS Terminal
* Reverse engineering & Ghidra

The (ever evolving) list of sections and topics will follow... be added here over time...

Last edited by aries-mu on 2023-10-03, 17:19. Edited 20 times in total.

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 2 of 18, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote on 2023-09-27, 10:53:

A Tip & Tricks (cheats) section and a cover disc, if not more than one cover disc 😀

yesh!!! Thanks!

Wait what do you mean with "cover"? Like a disc within?

Reply 3 of 18, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-27, 10:56:

A Tip & Tricks (cheats) section and a cover disc, if not more than one cover disc 😀

yesh!!! Thanks!

Wait what do you mean with "cover"? Like a disc within?

cover means on the outside of the magazine, be it in a case or not 😀 So it could be a CD, or a DVD and so forth 😀 And what I mean by "be in a case or not", that the disc could be in a CD/DVD case 😀 Like in the "old" days where you bought a computer magazine with a CD on the cover, or a DVD later on 😀 heck I remember once, that I bought a magazine (GamesMaster), that had VHS tape with the magazine, that showed PSX/PS1 demos. Sadly I do not have that tape any more.

Reply 4 of 18, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote on 2023-09-27, 11:03:

cover means on the outside of the magazine, be it in a case or not 😀 So it could be a CD, or a DVD and so forth 😀 And what I mean by "be in a case or not", that the disc could be in a CD/DVD case 😀 Like in the "old" days where you bought a computer magazine with a CD on the cover, or a DVD later on 😀 heck I remember once, that I bought a magazine (GamesMaster), that had VHS tape with the magazine, that showed PSX/PS1 demos. Sadly I do not have that tape any more.

Oh WOW! Imagine the logistics of the poor people distributing the magazine, and the newsstands with all the issues with that brick packed inside!! 😳
Well you never know, you might find that tape somewhere for sale online...

Thanks again. I'm adding your suggestions.

Reply 6 of 18, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
megatron-uk wrote on 2023-09-27, 11:21:

It would have to have a type-in programme section! With lots of typos of course! 😁

🤣 !!!

Wait, what do you mean exactly with "type-in programme" ?

Reply 7 of 18, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-27, 11:31:
megatron-uk wrote on 2023-09-27, 11:21:

It would have to have a type-in programme section! With lots of typos of course! 😁

🤣 !!!

Wait, what do you mean exactly with "type-in programme" ?

in the c64 days programs could come in many different flavors.
Form a Datasette, from a floppy, from a cardridge OR you can just type in the whole program in basic.

The cheapest way to publish programs in magazines was just to print out the code of the program for the user to type it in.

guessing_game.jpg

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 8 of 18, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-27, 12:10:
in the c64 days programs could come in many different flavors. Form a Datasette, from a floppy, from a cardridge OR you can just […]
Show full quote

in the c64 days programs could come in many different flavors.
Form a Datasette, from a floppy, from a cardridge OR you can just type in the whole program in basic.

The cheapest way to publish programs in magazines was just to print out the code of the program for the user to type it in.

guessing_game.jpg

Oh that!
Yes of course!!! Plenty of those long lists!

Reply 9 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-27, 12:10:
[..] in the c64 days programs could come in many different flavors. Form a Datasette, from a floppy, from a cardridge OR you can […]
Show full quote

[..] in the c64 days programs could come in many different flavors.

guessing_game.jpg

On PCs there also were two other methods.
- typing down hex codes instead of text listings
- scanning bar codes with a simple scanner (had phototransistor)

Another alternative was calling the mailbox of the magazine/publisher and downloading files.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 18, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-09-28, 07:24:
On PCs there also were two other methods. - typing down hex codes instead of text listings - scanning bar codes with a simple sc […]
Show full quote

On PCs there also were two other methods.
- typing down hex codes instead of text listings
- scanning bar codes with a simple scanner (had phototransistor)

Another alternative was calling the mailbox of the magazine/publisher and downloading files.

😳

Reply 11 of 18, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"On this Cover BD-ROM you will find ISOs for 80 other classic cover discs."

Reply 12 of 18, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Instead of dreaming, why don't you start something? You could start a little online magazine and put it on itch.io. You could even put shareware games on a virtual DVD on the Internet Archive. It could grow over time if people are interested.

It almost sounds like you'd be interested in a gaming magazine book club. We could do one of the old PC magazines each month.

Reply 13 of 18, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Fujoshi-hime wrote on 2023-09-29, 04:31:

😳 ↑↑↑

Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-09-29, 04:44:

Instead of dreaming, why don't you start something? You could start a little online magazine and put it on itch.io. You could even put shareware games on a virtual DVD on the Internet Archive. It could grow over time if people are interested.

It almost sounds like you'd be interested in a gaming magazine book club. We could do one of the old PC magazines each month.

I wish my friend. These are all great ideas. Currently, my life is so messed up that, if I can manage to find a little free time, although I have a lot of things I would LOVE to do, I would have to prioritize one thing: sleep a little more. Since my sleep deprivation grows dramatically and I'm noticing cognitive performance drops (at 43 yo) similar to 80 yo people...

Finding ADDITIONAL free time for a REGULAR activity on top of that, considering that, statistically, it's not been weeks or months, but years, that I can't even manage to improve my sleep schedule, I consider it very unlikely 🙁

But anyhow, what do you mean with a gaming magazine book club / old PC magazines each month?

Reply 14 of 18, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your dream idea sounds like you want to sort of go through a DOS user's experience chronologically starting in the late 80s. You mentioned starting at a date and publishing new issues periodically afterwards. You also talked about including old products or advertisements. You could experience all this from a collection of old magazines. A book club would also let people chat about it. Rather than simply talk about your dream, you could have a similar experience without much work.

Reply 15 of 18, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-09-29, 08:38:

Your dream idea sounds like you want to sort of go through a DOS user's experience chronologically starting in the late 80s. You mentioned starting at a date and publishing new issues periodically afterwards. You also talked about including old products or advertisements. You could experience all this from a collection of old magazines. A book club would also let people chat about it. Rather than simply talk about your dream, you could have a similar experience without much work.

Sounds interesting. I'll think about it (when I stare scared at my chronically large To Do list...), really I'm not joking.

But the aspect you mentioned is not the ONLY one I would like to experience.

What bugs me with this old magazines market, as well as the overall retro hardware/software/computer market is that (as I mentioned in the other post I created recently about the strong engagement of Commodore 64 users in comparison with retro PC users) yes, there is a retro PC market, but it's basically dead. Its enginges are down and dead. It is only moving out of residual inertia. As long as the same old pieces of retro tech still exist and keep being exchanged on the used market, this market still exists... while more and more of those pieces of hardware keep being scrapped and recycled. And those who are not, but are well treated / stored or sold and acquired by passionate people, keep getting older and older... how long can they still last? The market is inevitably going to be extinct. Over time, the older time-period parts will die completely and disappear... When it comes to 70s/80s and maybe even early 90s pieces of hardware, we're living in a 'fade out' shade of the temporal edges of such a market, which will move ahead over the history's timeline as time passes. We're not like the Commodore 64 people, who have a renewed market as their MAIN product, the C64, has been fully remade new, from scratch.
Hence my wish that most of the old PC's parts also magically start being reproduced again. But that's utopia.

The same is happening with retro magazines: how long can they still be preserved and resist people's recycling sprees?

Also, there are aspects that CANNOT be offered by the use of old magazines:

• The waiting. Having every month something to look forward to: the wait for the new issue to come to the newsstands or in the mailbox... That's a huge part of the experience
• The emotion: When the new issue is released, you don't know for sure and in detail what you're gonna find in it. The surprise. The thrill of browsing it for the first time. Every month! And, there's so much stuff archived (both digitally and on paper by people who preserved old magazines) that this round of the 80s-90s years can be re-run in cycles. Like, 80s and 90s are 20 years in total. Suppose my dream comes true and, starting Jan 2025 the super magazine begins. After 20 years, that is on Dec. 2045, the 80s-90s period will have been covered entirely. So, from Jan 2046, the whole story can restart, with different retro ads, different retro products reviewed, etc. There's so much stuff online and offline that the cycle can be repeated several times. And after 4-5 times that is repeated, whoever experienced it is gonna be dead. So, even if the whole retro part of the magazine will simple be repeated reproduced identically (except for the CURRENT part of the articles, that will have to change always, because it's current) every 4 or 5 cicles, the people reading it will be different people, so it will always be a new surprise to the readers.

Reply 16 of 18, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Fujoshi-hime wrote on 2023-09-29, 04:31:

That would actually be extremely cool.. IF it was legal.

Reply 17 of 18, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suddenly thought of this, What about a section in the magazine about

Open source DOS games, like MrFlibble is having two threads. One about Open source DOS games and Rare and lost demo/shareware releases wanted list So the section could be a combination of those two threads as an example of what that section of the magazine could be about. Anyway it is just a thought 😀

Reply 18 of 18, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote on 2023-10-03, 16:55:

I suddenly thought of this, What about a section in the magazine about

Open source DOS games, like MrFlibble is having two threads. One about Open source DOS games and Rare and lost demo/shareware releases wanted list So the section could be a combination of those two threads as an example of what that section of the magazine could be about. Anyway it is just a thought 😀

That's another great idea! Thank you! I'll add it