VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I left the house for 4 hours today. As I was leaving the lamp started flickering. It's an old lamp with a rotary switch on the cord. I don't bother turning it off that way, I just unscrew the bulb partway. So I assume it wasn't unscrewed enough, I unscrew it a little more. At thar instant I smell a slight burning odor. I unscrew the bulb all the way, sniffit, smell nothing. I assume it was just something that came in the window, diesel or whatever. For safe measure I unplug the terminal cord. Good thing I did, as 5 minutes ago I pick up the end of my phone charging cord, and it's hot.

20231001_003215.jpg
Filename
20231001_003215.jpg
File size
790.7 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

They tell me I'm insane for worrying about shit. Leaving windows ajar as an escape route (for pets). I'll only get worse in my old age when this sort of thing happens.

Reply 1 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What are you talking about? A lamp with a USB-C cable? No way, I never heard of this unless that is fancy wifi lamp but your implies it is not. That what I'm confused. You are talking about one item: lamp.

Now you mention the second item, the USB-C cable also burnt? Keep in mind, that USB-C cable is related with portable devices like phone and tablets. A lamp ever rarely have UBS-C port so I was asking.

What is the takeaway from this? How did two items get burnt at same time?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 7, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The lamp wasn't burning. I suspected it was the source of the smell. I mentioned it was flickerimg. I didn't investigate further, simply unplugged the power strip from the wall. The lamp and usb charger were plugged into the power strip. If I hadn't unplugged it, the usb cable would have had 4 additional hours to sizzle. No telling what could have happened.

I'm not leaving anything plugged in anymore. I generally will unplug electronics anyway, as a freak lightning storm could happen while I'm away.

Edit: when I returned from my journey I plugged the power strip back in the wall, mainly so I could use my lamp. The usb cable was therefore plugged in for 2 hours I think. Actually maybe 4 hours. Regardless I'm being much more cautious in the future.

2nd edit - that cord is not old either. I had it in a backpack for data transfer. The one I had been using for 2 years needed replacing.

Reply 3 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, more sensible.

This cable where do you bought that from? This matters. If cheap 1 buck thing, that will give problems and break down easily with use as they were not made correctly.

Good cords costs more and much more safer.

Back in the day, in early days of DSL, bulky SMD ceramic capacitor *across* the AC input of 9V supply in a DSL modem short and take out the wall wart transformer. As expected due to safety design, the transformer primary side blew open after overheated for awhile.

To get back online, I replaced that capacitor and pulled down a old VCR pulled from parts shelf wall and soldered cut off cord from that dead transformer direct to the transformer output. The transformer has a true fuse in the input side. Worked for another several years then we converted to cable modem for another several years then provider replaced modem for upgraded units. Another several years and service starting to degrade so we switched back to another provider when Bell Fibe finally came online.

I was working at TV shop at that time that how I have access to old parts.

Cheers,

Reply 5 of 7, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-10-01, 17:19:
What are you talking about? A lamp with a USB-C cable? No way, I never heard of this unless that is fancy wifi lamp but your […]
Show full quote

What are you talking about? A lamp with a USB-C cable? No way, I never heard of this unless that is fancy wifi lamp but your implies it is not. That what I'm confused. You are talking about one item: lamp.

Now you mention the second item, the USB-C cable also burnt? Keep in mind, that USB-C cable is related with portable devices like phone and tablets. A lamp ever rarely have UBS-C port so I was asking.

What is the takeaway from this? How did two items get burnt at same time?

Cheers,

I used to work retail, and where I worked they sold many lamps with built-in USB ports and for the most part they were crap.

Reply 6 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Correct. I rather use a power blocks that is OEM or meets OEM specs and pay bit more and use quality USB cables. So far at work no issues and they were on 24 hours a day.

Anything else I would not do this due to quality issues like you had.

Cheers,

Reply 7 of 7, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The cable came with the phone. I don' t know if this was due to a manufacturing defect, or a freak accident. I just wonder if there ever was an instance where a charging cable, while not charging, albeit plugged into the walwart, started a fire.