VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I purchased a Beelink GTR7 Pro Mini PC. The seller did have 1 positive feedback, but the listing was a total scam. The seller gave 3 different tracking numbers originating from 3 different cities. The last one they gave was delivered to an address in my city to someone else trying to fake a delivered item. I already had an opened case with eBay when the item did not arrive on time. I responded back to eBay for resolution after the fake delivery notice. Within 15 minutes I had a response from eBay. I simply had to print out a declaration stating I did not receive the item and send it back. Within another 15 minutes I had my refund. I can only assume there must be some internal investigation going with this seller using other fake eBay accounts or I would not have gotten my money back so quickly. I can honestly say that even though eBay is a good deal more expensive than going through other selling sites, the buyer protection does make it all the more worthwhile. I have been buying on eBay for 15 years and have never had anything like this happen to me. It was nice to know that eBay really stands by the 100% buyer protection guarantee. I just wanted to share my experience and would like to hear back from others who have gone through a fake sale on eBay as well to see how things went for them.

Reply 1 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beelink is generic made quality too. We had one die for wall monitor serving advertising video.

Next time, if you want, I suggest HP elitedesk 800 G3 mini. Plenty of them for about 150 for i5 and 16GB. Supply your own SSD either Sata or NVME. Socket is 1151 LGA means you can upgrade.

If you need much newer hardware, to run windows 11, G5 mini. This means bit more cost.

Don't forget the COA key is built into the motherboard so you can activate the windows 10 or 11 without needing to pay.

Mine is doing great!

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 8, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-10-28, 23:20:
Beelink is generic made quality too. We had one die for wall monitor serving advertising video. […]
Show full quote

Beelink is generic made quality too. We had one die for wall monitor serving advertising video.

Next time, if you want, I suggest HP elitedesk 800 G3 mini. Plenty of them for about 150 for i5 and 16GB. Supply your own SSD either Sata or NVME. Socket is 1151 LGA means you can upgrade.

If you need much newer hardware, to run windows 11, G5 mini. This means bit more cost.

Don't forget the COA key is built into the motherboard so you can activate the windows 10 or 11 without needing to pay.

Mine is doing great!

Cheers,

I got a new in box HP t740 for $175 that I am using now instead. I am really happy with it and the build quality is really good. I also like the fact in runs Windows 11 with no problem. I had some Windows 10 Pro keys laying around and I used one for the Windows 11 license.

Reply 3 of 8, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jasa1063 wrote on 2023-10-28, 16:53:

I can only assume there must be some internal investigation going with this seller using other fake eBay accounts or I would not have gotten my money back so quickly.

I find Ebay sometimes issues refunds as a default response.

I had an item that had been held up with customs for a few weeks. I opened a ticket and stated I still wanted the item. Ebay responded that they thought maybe the item hadn't been shipped and straight up refunded my money. The response email was written really weird too, like it was an AI or bad Google translate or something.

About two weeks later the item in question showed up.

I emailed Ebay back saying I had received the item, but they stated they couldn't recharge my credit card. Then I reached out to the seller to make sure they hadn't been had their sale reversed, yet they said they had still be paid.

The whole thing was weird. I think that they refund things because it's easier.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 8, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

..even though eBay is a good deal more expensive than going through other selling sites..

What sites are a good deal less expensive than eBay? You peaked my interest because I have found eBay is usually the cheapest.

Reply 5 of 8, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
awgamer wrote on 2023-10-29, 01:02:

..even though eBay is a good deal more expensive than going through other selling sites..

What sites are a good deal less expensive than eBay? You peaked my interest because I have found eBay is usually the cheapest.

Yahoo Actions Japan is much cheaper on a lot of items, but I feel safer shopping on eBay overall. The biggest issue with Yahoo Auctions Japan is the shipping cost. If you go through a proxy bidding service like Buyee, you can combine shipping on items and save a lot of money that way.

Reply 7 of 8, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
awgamer wrote on 2023-10-29, 04:21:

What are some example items that are cheaper? My quick price check on 5960x, rtx 3090, 1080 ti, x99 asus/msi/asrock had the same or more expensive than ebay, before shipping.

I am speaking of vintage computer equipment mostly, not contemporary items. I have gotten Macintosh NuBus video cards way cheaper than eBay's asking price 1/3 to 1/2 half as much for example.