VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I'm working, at times I've got to diagnose connectivity/drivers issues with printers. I've got two windows tools that make my work easier, but sometimes they won't work on some PCs (permissions issues). OTOH, I always have a Linux pendrive (S15Pup) so I could boot a PC and run tools from it.

The two tools that I would like to have on Linux...
- usblist2.exe: I got it from the firmware package of HP Color Laser 150nw (OMG, I HATE that printer!). It's a command line tool that dumps any file to any USB connected printer, bypassing driver and printer queues.
- DirectPrint.exe: From TypeHaus, Inc (I think I got it from a Xerox printer). It's a GUI tool that dumps a file to any given IP, again bypassing port definitions, driver and printer queues.

The thing is that if you dump a file to a printer that supports it and it prints it, the printer is fine and you surely have a software problem. Besides that, usblist2.exe may be used to update firmware on printers.

Any one knows about Linux counterparts to those tools?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Printing is a bit different in the world of Unix. Most printer systems expect the device at the end of the print queue to accept plain text or postscript. If your device doesnt support that input natively, and needs a driver, sending anything to the printer is generally going to cause it to go crazy.

It's why in most scenarios on UNIX like systems it is usually easier to use a network device that talks lpd and accepts either PCL or vanilla PostScript.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 6, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, essentially you have every option available, as long as you have a print driver in linux, or even better, the printer supports postscript natively. There is also a new web printing standard (forgot the name) which also allows for generic drivers.

lpr is the command line tool to send print jobs. Cups is the print system that application can integrate with directly too. Cups supports IPP, the internet print protocol for sending jobs over TCP/IP. Finally, hplip is the HP printer driver, if you are interested in those printers.

Reply 4 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How about using a laptop or a MiniPC with at least a currently supported version of Windows and possibly Linux installed for printer testing purposes.

If there is a doubt about user hardware issue, booting a PC from a USB flash drive with a Windows To Go installation on it could be an option [1].

[1]
https://www.intowindows.com/rufus-to-create-w … o-go-usb-drive/

Reply 6 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the answers.

As keenerb said, netcat was the right answer. I was able to send a test file using nc <ip> 9100 < test.pdf. I've used port 9100 because I think port 515 requires some kind of "talk" between the host and the printer before printing (opposed to 9100 that seem to print everything is thrown at).

Also keep in mind that my test printer supports PCL, PS and PDF (as well as it's own PDL), so sending that page had no issues. I remember having some issues sendind PCL files and plain text, so I'll test each PDL.

Still I don't know if I can do the same trick using USB (like that usblist2.exe tool I mentioned).

The goal is to "print" tests bypassing almost everything on the computer (spooler, driver and queues) to check if the problem is on the printer or the software.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!