Rank

it was inevitable but great while it lasted. now no where is safe

iami

Reply 2 of 13, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do not see anything wrong with it, but again I live in a country. Where we pay taxes on every item we buy from a shop, and so forth. Again I know it is a non issue for me, or am I missing something ? 😀

Reply 3 of 13, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner given how long GoG has been around.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5 of 13, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
twiz11 wrote on 2023-11-27, 20:16:
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-11-27, 16:16:

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner given how long GoG has been around.

i think taxes curb spending, otherwise i would have spent alot more

I really doubt that.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 6 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there any country other than the USA where the sales tax / VAT is not already included in the price displayed?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 13, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2023-11-27, 20:52:

Is there any country other than the USA where the sales tax / VAT is not already included in the price displayed?

Yep.... https://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-6-countrie … -190008155.html

Reply 8 of 13, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote on 2023-11-27, 13:42:

I do not see anything wrong with it, but again I live in a country. Where we pay taxes on every item we buy from a shop, and so forth. Again I know it is a non issue for me, or am I missing something ? 😀

The issue is the tax rate and where to remit the tax varies depending on the state, county, and city of the billing and shipping addresses.
For a long time there was a decision that the buyer's government can't compel the out-of-state seller to collect the tax if they have no connection ("nexus") to the buyer's state. That was overturned recently.
When a resident brings in products they bought elsewhere at a lower (or no) sales tax, they are supposed to pay the difference as "use tax." Compliance is extremely low, to the point that many people believe such purchases are "exempt" from sales and use tax.
Amazon at one point flipped from being extremely resistant to being forced to collect these taxes to being extremely cooperative, probably both because with their increasing warehouse footprint there were few places they had no nexus too, and big companies don't mind bringing on more regulatory burden to keep new entrants out.

Reply 9 of 13, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2023-11-27, 20:52:

Canada

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 11 of 13, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2023-11-28, 03:19:

US has some states without sales tax but they'll want tax info regardless anyway

its an illusion that those states without sales tax or income tax often charge the highest standard of living like 4k rent a month

iami

Reply 12 of 13, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I live In France. Name something, there is a tax for it.

(But yes, also free university, hospital, retirement pensions, 5w (or more) of paid vacations, good wine etc...)

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)