VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Were there any that ran * only* above 4.77mhz?

Reply 1 of 12, by Deano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Upto 10Mhz for sure, 8Mhz being very common and where the turbo button comes from. Turbo will reduce the clock down to 4.77Mhz exactly matching the IBM PC and XT.

Mine is an 8Mhz even has the rom slots for Basic (though didn't come with them)

Game dev since last century

Reply 2 of 12, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Up to 10 MHz, usually what you'll want to look for is something in an IBM PC XT style case with the elongated case badge indent in the front, or one of those DTK Chassis since DTK made a lot of "AT Style" XT Clone computers. They turn up on ebay pretty frequently. You'll want to be careful though because people often upgraded these to 286/386/486 or even some were made as a 286/386 based system (even seen at least 1 486 in the last 20 years), so getting gut shots would be a good idea.

Most of these would be "Turbo XTs" with CPU in the 6MHz-10MHz clock speed range.

Attachments

• xtclone.jpg
    Filename
    xtclone.jpg
    File size
    22.47 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Generic 80's XT Clone Style Machine
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • dtkxt.jpg
    Filename
    dtkxt.jpg
    File size
    82.5 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    DTK Style XT Clone Style Machine
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 4 of 12, by Deano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It wouldn't be 100% IBM compatible if it didn't run optionally at 4.77mhz. If you throw that out then you get single frequency machines using 8088 cpus at various clocks. From as low as 3.5Mhz (Sanyo 1000??) upto 10Mhz. They however were DOS compatible but not PC, as frequency matching was the easy part of being PC compatible.

Some also had no turbo button but did have keyboard shortcuts (Compaq IIRC) and of course if you didn't connect the turbo button then it would run at its higher clock.

Game dev since last century

Reply 5 of 12, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kant explain wrote on 2023-11-29, 20:38:

Only means exclusive of. The presence of a turbo button defies the notion of only. A board can run atb6,8,10mhz... But not 4.77mhz.

I get your question and I'm wondering if the issue is that the board inevitably has a 14.31818 MHz oscillator and the 8284 chip anyway, so it wouldn't make any sense not to offer a turbo button and use them, even if the turbo speed is higher (30 MHz or 24 MHz oscillator).

Reply 6 of 12, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's plenty of Turbo XTs without Turbo button, but many of them can be switched to de-turbo using some key combination or an utility, see eg. Commodore PC 10-III/20-III.

But as far as I know, the following can't be switched:
- IBM PS/2 model 30 - 8086 @ 8 MHz
- Amstrad PC1512 - 8086 @ 8 MHz
- Amstrad PC1640 - 8086 @ 8 MHz

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 7 of 12, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deano wrote on 2023-11-29, 21:03:

It wouldn't be 100% IBM compatible if it didn't run optionally at 4.77mhz.

IBM PS/2 model 30 obviously isn't 100% IBM compatible 🤣

But it should be noted that there's the 8086 inside, so even at 4.77 MHz it would be faster than the original IBM PC series of 8088 @ 4.77 MHz.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 8 of 12, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As long as we're straying from the beaten path, don't leave out the model 25. And the 286 vetsions of the model 30 and 25 also I think.

Oh did anyone mention the Lisa? Or the Victor Vicki? Shoot better not leave them out. They're close enough.

Reply 9 of 12, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kant explain wrote on 2023-11-30, 05:22:

As long as we're straying from the beaten path, don't leave out the model 25. And the 286 vetsions of the model 30 and 25 also I think.

8086 models belong in the Turbo XT category.
Those with 286, however, are AT-class, therefore off topic.

Oh did anyone mention the Lisa? Or the Victor Vicki? Shoot better not leave them out. They're close enough.

Lisa has 68000, nothing to do with PC.

Reply 10 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Edit: Posting about differences between XTs and AT removed.
It's the OP's thread, after all. If it's not wanted, then I do respect that.

Last edited by Jo22 on 2023-11-30, 06:52. Edited 2 times in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 12, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-11-30, 06:37:

Edit: Posting about differences between XTs and AT removed.
It's the OP's thread, after all. If it's not wanted, then I do respect that.

No worries. Have a ball. Everyone else is mucking it up:)