VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone into them? I have this old thing taking up space. Lately I'm mildly interested in getting it running. Thoughts -

Reply 3 of 12, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In series with the mains input. The old incandescent light bulb acts as a current limiter, preventing major damages in case some tube shorts internally, or some cap is leaking/shorting.

Reply 4 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vstrakh wrote on 2023-12-05, 17:48:

In series with the mains input. The old incandescent light bulb acts as a current limiter, preventing major damages in case some tube shorts internally, or some cap is leaking/shorting.

+1

I second that, it's a classic tip! 🙂👍

Edit: It has to be a real incandescent bulb, of course, as mentioned.
A modern substitute won't do it. Just saying.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 12, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine has a phone plug, which I use with a little Bluetooth adapter to send audio to it from my phone. Works great and I don't have to listen to commercials. I looked into AM transmitters and there weren't many options, at least for a reasonable price.

Reply 10 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm more into non-broadcast radios..
Those with SSB reception are interesting.
Like the Trio/Kenwood 9R59.

Many AM shortwave radios with an 455 KHz intermediate frequency (IF) can be retrofitted with a BFO unit, a beat frequency oscillator.
That allows reception for telegraphy and SSB.

Tapping the IF also makes it possible to decode signals on a PC or tablet PC, by interfacing an SDR dongle and matching software (see RTL2832 chip).

What's also possible: Listening to 27 MHz CB radio.
There are CB converters which down convert that band to Medium Wave band (aka "AM band" to US people).

Of course, receiving SSB signals requires a suitable radio.
FM signals on the other hand, can be demodulated by any AM radio, if slope detection is being used.
To do so, the operator must detune the reception a bit (a bit to the right or left).

That trick was often used by CB oldtimers back in the day (here in EU) when FM was new.
That worked, because the higher end AM CB radios had a "fine tune" knob.

Edit: The converter..: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGBU43HFp8U
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/monacor_cb_conv … ter_cb_705.html

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//