VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As Christmas rolls around for another year I'll have a few quick games of ROTT, and maybe Christmas Jetpack and Lemmings.

But I find depending on the season I'll have the urge to play certain games every year, few examples.
eg when summer begins, I want to play Warcraft 2 and Red Alert. I got both these games for Christmas (which is in summer growing up in Australia) plus the holidays meant many opportunities for LAN games with my mates.

Spring I'm in the mood for C&C, I'm not sure why, maybe it was the first time I played it at a mates house or the fact that every ANZAC day (somewhat like remembrance day)
a few of us would have a memorial game.

Funny thing is even while living in the UK the nostalgia was attached to the season not time of year.

Other things can trigger it like every time I go back to my parents home I want to play Red Alert 2, or something reminds me of a level in Duke3d.

Does anyone else find this is the case or am I just a creature of habit?

Reply 1 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IDK, maybe I have a tendency to hit up the ascii roguelikes in the ass end of winter.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only pattern is play games on weekends when I can. Difficult during the weekday since I work all day on the computer. Mabye if a game is really good I may. I don't replay games unless they are really good and typically 5+yrs from the last time I played them if I do replay them.

Oh only PC games or emulated console games on a PC. No consoles or handhelds etc. I like quality, control, and no DRM and keeping costs low. Too many games to play.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For some reason, I always think think of Loom at the end of the year.

I never replay it, though.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 6, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh God! finally another person with a seasonal tendency, i have that too, gothic for example is a game i love playing june (that's when i first played it) and most RPG in spring, RTS games in winter and deus ex i love playing it in October\November.
There are many other patterns, graphic adventures in late spring and so on but i totally understand your feelings OP.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 5 of 6, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The main pattern I've noticed over the last few years is that Christmas holidays is the only time of year I can really give myself over to a game, and it's usually an old open world RPG. The rest of the year is hectic and tiring and stressful so I just don't have the energy or imagination left at the end of a day - I still do stuff, some hardware projects, game modding, etc - but the games I start generally don't stick.

Ah Christmas holidays - long, hot, sunny days, occasional summer storms, and most importantly, time off work! And we're only weeks away 👍

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Around October there's always a mood for vsav and melty. December though I tend to associate with a lot of the anniversaries of some big games out that month. 93, 94, and 99 were some busy ones...

apsosig.png
long live PCem