Common searches

Reply 100 of 407, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2024-01-07, 10:58:
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-01-07, 10:34:

Edit - If you like Vintage games I recently found a channel called "Retro Game Mechanics Explained" which has some really in depth stuff on there .. great channel for people with some programming knowledge. https://www.youtube.com/@RGMechEx

I'm not into gaming at all, but this channel is really interesting one because of showing how those games were actually designed.

And if speaking about games, back in the days I stumbled upon channel called Top Hat Gaming Man where I enjoyed his historical reviews of many different gaming consoles. Even though I'm not a gaming consoles fan at all I found it interesting just to watch videos about what kind of consoles ever existed and what is the history behind them.

Yeah, not really into games but digging into how they functioned and some of the interesting weird things they did to get "Features" into games I do find entertaining. Some of the in depth NES and SNES stuff is super great to watch, the lengths the programmers went to to extract every ounce of power the consoles had is quite amazing to watch.

The most recent example ive seen is the guy who got a small version of portal running on the N64, never thought I would see a N64 being able to do the portal effect completely let alone seeing pretty much every effect portal has running on that system.

Reply 101 of 407, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-01-07, 10:34:

Edit - If you like Vintage games I recently found a channel called "Retro Game Mechanics Explained" which has some really in depth stuff on there .. great channel for people with some programming knowledge. https://www.youtube.com/@RGMechEx

Along those lines there is also GameHut: https://www.youtube.com/@GameHut

It's a channel by Jon Burton who worked on a variety of console games back in the 90s and 2000s. He explains some of the programming tricks used to pull off some of the effects and mechanics on older consoles.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 103 of 407, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is something for the topic...

What do you guys think of the newest ad the 8-Bit guy uploaded just an hour ago?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qHdTKjPXww

🙂

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 104 of 407, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2024-01-08, 22:21:
Here is something for the topic... […]
Show full quote

What do you guys think of the newest ad the 8-Bit guy uploaded just an hour ago?

🙂

Seems like a low effort cross over episode.

Having different personalities of the community meet is never a bad thing and if the 2 platforms get cross platform compatibility /portability that isn’t a bad thing either.

I never really understood the backlash the 8 bit guy gets. He’s best on point and dry doing his retrobrite and history segments.

But he is passionate about the various 8 bit recreations and even if I never own the bare metal I don’t mind seeing new developments in the community, there is always an emulator for those who want to back seat drive.

ThinkpadIL wrote on 2024-01-07, 10:58:

back in the days I stumbled upon channel called Top Hat Gaming Man where I enjoyed his historical reviews of many different gaming consoles. Even though I'm not a gaming consoles fan at all I found it interesting just to watch videos about what kind of consoles ever existed and what is the history behind them.

I like THGM and Lady Decade but there is a lot of rage and drama around them mainly from UK individuals, after an incident with a copyright troll. They do a good job of hitting the various points of a particular subject and regardless of their use of clickbait titles, gimmicks, tropes and meh advertising partners I’m glad they are able to make it work.

One of my friends introduced me to their channel as he followed wrestling and was already familiar with him before the gaming channel

A lot of people like to crap on people giving them free content, easy to move on to another channel if you don’t like what’s on serve.

The content creator owe the fans nothing and have the right to make things they enjoy even if it tanks the channel.

We’ve seen YouTube tank several times in the past, this is yet another boom bust cycle.

Streaming in general is loosing money and trying to consolidate content back into a cable like scenario, enjoy the variety we get while it lasts.
The current American toxic tipping culture that supports all online videos isn’t sustainable and is to blame for most of the perplexing decisions channels make.

Reply 105 of 407, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2024-01-08, 22:21:
Here is something for the topic... […]
Show full quote

🙂

Well, I have mixed feelings. Even though I'm not a fan of new projects, I find interesting those videos where new projects are reviewed. I also like interviews with people who develop now or developed in the past a hardware or a software. Comparison videos are also fine. But this one looks more like a trailer - there is a very superficial review, developer of Mega65 is used mainly as a stand for its product and comparison is made mainly with David's own project Commander X16 which is also weird cause there are only couple of hundreds folks in the whole world who own it and have a real idea what it actually is. Ah, yes, there is also a lot of David's products placement, and when I say I lot, I mean really A LOT.

So all in all, if taking into account that there are already many reviews of Mega65 in existence, their developers have their own Youtube channel and David's products are mentioned in almost every David's video for the past year of so, this video contributes nothing new and therefore I personally wouldn't consider it as an interesting one.

rmay635703 wrote on 2024-01-08, 22:53:
... A lot of people like to crap on people giving them free content, easy to move on to another channel if you don’t like what’s […]
Show full quote

A lot of people like to crap on people giving them free content, easy to move on to another channel if you don’t like what’s on serve.

The content creator owe the fans nothing and have the right to make things they enjoy even if it tanks the channel.

We’ve seen YouTube tank several times in the past, this is yet another boom bust cycle.

Streaming in general is loosing money and trying to consolidate content back into a cable like scenario, enjoy the variety we get while it lasts.
The current American toxic tipping culture that supports all online videos isn’t sustainable and is to blame for most of the perplexing decisions channels make.

Why do you call critique a crap? And their content isn't free at all - it not only demands you to pay with the most valuable asset, a time, but as a rule they also include ads. If you do not value your time, it is another thing.

I also can't agree with a statement that the content creator owe the fans nothing. I could agree with you if they were shooting those videos for themselves by making them private on Youtube, however they not only publish their videos, but also ask their viewers to like, subscribe, comment, come back and view another video and some of them even ask viewers to support them with donations on platforms like Patreon. In such a circumstances, as a viewer, I feel I have a full right to expect them meeting my expectations and if they are not doing so after me sending them feedbacks in the comments, I feel I also have a right to criticize them for not doing so.

Reply 106 of 407, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rmay635703 wrote on 2024-01-08, 22:53:

That's true... with a couple of caveats if the content creator monetizes the channel.

1.) Even if it's just youtube ad revenue, income depends on viewership/engagement, which incentivizes making content with appeal to the target audience. So they have the right to do whatever they want, but their financial interest may be opposing.

2.) Is there direct community support? Patreon, subscribe star, merchandise, whatever else. Then the same thing applies even more so. People pay you as a content creator because you made specific content and if you switch to something your donors aren't interested in as much if at all, then they may stop donating.

But if you run your platform purely to live out your creativity and everything else comes after, then yes, you are free to do whatever you want and you can ignore all the complaints. But if someone runs their platform as a side hustle or switches to do it as a full time job, then you have to serve your audience because they provide a service the expect to earn money from.

As for myself as an audience member, I don't do warning shots and complain at content creators if they stray from what I'm interested in. I just stop following them. Because as much as they have the right to make whatever content they want, none of us owe them our time or money indefinitely. Well... with a caveat. If they commit flat out hypocrisy, then I may point it out right before quit following.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 107 of 407, by Matchstick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Honestly 8BitGuy analysis was quite off of the current state of things. He should just rebrand at this point, it wouldn't be the first time he has.

I also look at Adrian's Digital Basement, who has been around just as long as 8BitGuy, does just as many conventions and speaker engagements, is doing well enough that he actually just quit his job.

But CTRL-ALT-REES actually put it all together best in his rambles video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdnymfnN3UE

Reply 109 of 407, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't been watching 8-bit Guy for the last few years. His issue is not saturation, but himself IMO. Apparently other NRA nuts aren't flocking in to fill my void. I am happy for his loss. That's what you get for using the influence you gained through this hooby to further your pro-gun propaganda. Go ahead and find a job you can do with an open carry gun now, jerk. What goes around comes around.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 110 of 407, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am pro gun even before i started to watch 8-bit guy, but yes even I can say that the quality is dropping. Last video of MEGA65 was just like a little advertisment.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 111 of 407, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Matchstick wrote on 2024-01-09, 09:12:

...well enough that he actually just quit his job.

Only time will tell if this was a good choice...

One can only repair 50 C64´s and use "all right" 100 times per video until it feels repetitive...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 112 of 407, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The C64 repair thing is something that has actually reached an unbearable level of saturation to me, not talking about any channel in particular. I can die happy if I never see another C64 repair video again, especially when 99% of the time it's one (or more) of those stupid MOS chips that decided to die. They sure did a lot of cost cutting in those factories!

Reply 113 of 407, by eM-!3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't know that 8-bit guy is a NRA activist and I wouldn't pay attention to it as I'm from Europe. But now that I know I will have another reason to watch him. But really what some of you are saying here is childish. It's like expecting from every person in the world to share your own views on every single topic. And to expect him to pretend that he's be someone else during retro conventions it's like you want him to be schizophrenic. It's not like he's using a company to spread his own beliefs. He always acts as himself and is totally entitled to do and say everything he wants. If he likes to talk about pizza it's up to him. If he likes to open carry and it's allowed where he lives it's up to him.

Reply 114 of 407, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Matchstick wrote on 2024-01-09, 09:12:
Honestly 8BitGuy analysis was quite off of the current state of things. He should just rebrand at this point, it wouldn't be the […]
Show full quote

Honestly 8BitGuy analysis was quite off of the current state of things. He should just rebrand at this point, it wouldn't be the first time he has.

I also look at Adrian's Digital Basement, who has been around just as long as 8BitGuy, does just as many conventions and speaker engagements, is doing well enough that he actually just quit his job.

But CTRL-ALT-REES actually put it all together best in his rambles video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdnymfnN3UE

Meh, he’s an adult and can figure it out

Lest we forget the true original channel and its fall during the first YouTube shrink in revenue

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oYdfxNZ_DPU

eM-!3 wrote on 2024-01-09, 17:26:

I didn't know that 8-bit guy is a NRA activist and I wouldn't pay attention to it as I'm from Europe. But now that I know I will have another reason to watch him. But really what some of you are saying here is childish. It's like expecting from every person in the world to share your own views on every single topic. And to expect him to pretend that he's be someone else during retro conventions it's like you want him to be schizophrenic. It's not like he's using a company to spread his own beliefs. He always acts as himself and is totally entitled to do and say everything he wants. If he likes to talk about pizza it's up to him. If he likes to open carry and it's allowed where he lives it's up to him.

Being pro hunting , pro conservation/management
and “anti gun” (certain guns and pro regulation ) I support the above sentiment, the vast majority of his gun related content was on air gun and other tangential sources 20 years ago and I was never aware .

I honestly don’t care for Texans but like much of his modern content even if he is burned out similar to CGR and AVGN.

‘‘Tis a season for everything, enjoy things while they last.

Reply 115 of 407, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...He always acts as himself and is totally entitled to do and say everything he wants. If he likes to talk about pizza it's up to him. If he likes to open carry and it's allowed where he lives it's up to him.

As long as Creators make videos for themselve and people that are exactly like them thats totally fine...

That is a very very small circle of people. And you have to live with that.

Showing a computer is the same on every channel. The presentation makes the videos today.
And if you are not a presenter i can relate to... i have different choices...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 116 of 407, by demonized999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-01-04, 10:52:

Phil still makes good content.

And lately, I've been really enjoying repair focused retro channels like Necroware, vswitchzero, Bits und Bolts etc.

Absolutely! Necroware, vswitchzero and BuB are the ones I watch the most nowadays.
I am not sure why the 8-bit guy needs to find a job - last time i checked his channel was big enough to (supposedly) sustain him without working something else. But I don't know his situation.

Reply 117 of 407, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
demonized999 wrote on 2024-01-10, 08:47:

Absolutely! Necroware, vswitchzero and BuB are the ones I watch the most nowadays.
I am not sure why the 8-bit guy needs to find a job - last time i checked his channel was big enough to (supposedly) sustain him without working something else. But I don't know his situation.

speed reading the thread (without accuracy) i'd say he needs the money to open-carry pizza or something 😀

Reply 118 of 407, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not just the fact he's a gun-ownership advocate. I can respect people who believe in responsible gun ownership and that there are legitimate reasons to own one.

The issue with 8-Bit Guy was the infamous Home Depot video where he stated he was doing open carry specifically to piss off gun control advocates following the Sandy Hook Shooting. The latter if you didn't know was one of the deadliest school shootings in the U.S. involving the deaths of 20 children.

This type of insensitivity on his part speaks to deeper issues than just wanting to own guns. That this turned off a lot of people and had them not wanting to support his channel should surprise nobody.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 119 of 407, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting thread. I have some formed opinions about it but all around many great points were made.

Instead I'll just drop a video that for me still has the right amount of pace, jankyness and ingenuity that I'm sure we all miss about YouTube in a way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lpTfVxwwSU

Plus it just made me laugh