VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 321 of 407, by bobsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Question for you all. If I were to make videos (thinking of Druaga1 style "you're in windows hell with me" type videos), what's your opinion on cursing? Does anyone know how much cursing gets you in trouble with monetization?

Main PC : MSI PRO B650M-P Ryzen 5 7600, 32GB DDR5-5600, XFX RX 7600
P3 build : ASUS CUSL2-C, Pentium III @ 733MHz (Coppermine), Voodoo3 3000 AGP, 384 MB SDR-100, Audigy 2 ZS, Netgear GA311

Reply 322 of 407, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bobsmith wrote on 2024-03-13, 12:56:

Question for you all. If I were to make videos (thinking of Druaga1 style "you're in windows hell with me" type videos), what's your opinion on cursing? Does anyone know how much cursing gets you in trouble with monetization?

AFAIK, profanity can lead to demonetization.

I recall LTT doing a segment about this (I think it was on a WAN show ages ago), where they spoke about examples of it happening and why they bleep profanity on their channels. I believe it also resulted in a Summoning Salt video being demonetized, where one of the clips had some brief profanity in it.

If you're doing things with the intent of monetization it's probably best to ere on the side of caution and either bleep or exclude any profanity.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 323 of 407, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To be honest, it would probably be really hard to make money as a new retro gaming YouTuber. Outside of a few big channels, most don't get many views. Another consideration is that some people like watching with kids in the room. You might lose that audience with swearing.

Reply 324 of 407, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
megatog615 wrote on 2024-03-11, 14:34:
appiah4 wrote on 2024-03-11, 05:05:
megatog615 wrote on 2024-03-09, 02:15:

Man, what is this trash? Why can't they just use screenshots or photos from the things they're talking about instead of creating this garbage? Most egregious in my opinion is the 386 Ram Drive one where it could have just been a photo of a 386 board's RAM section. Or the Amiga video about CGI... could have just been a screenshot of the software in question.

Get with the times.

A stunningly-ironic thing to say on this website.

Enjoying the past does not necessitate having a total disconnect with the contemporary.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 325 of 407, by bobsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-03-13, 18:15:

To be honest, it would probably be really hard to make money as a new retro gaming YouTuber. Outside of a few big channels, most don't get many views. Another consideration is that some people like watching with kids in the room. You might lose that audience with swearing.

I always thought I could refrain from swearing on YouTube videos, but on livestreams I swear. That seems like a decent balance.

Main PC : MSI PRO B650M-P Ryzen 5 7600, 32GB DDR5-5600, XFX RX 7600
P3 build : ASUS CUSL2-C, Pentium III @ 733MHz (Coppermine), Voodoo3 3000 AGP, 384 MB SDR-100, Audigy 2 ZS, Netgear GA311

Reply 326 of 407, by revolstar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Speaking of AI and youtube videos, have you seen Saxon's latest joint? 🤣 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfca2Kz4064

Win98 rig: Athlon XP 2500+/512MB RAM/Gigabyte GA-7VT600/SB Live!/GF FX5700/Voodoo2 12MB
WinXP rig: HP RP5800 - Pentium G850/2GB RAM/GF GT530 1GB
Amiga: A600/2MB RAM
PS3: Slim model, 500GB HDD, mostly for RetroArch, PSX & PS2 games

Reply 327 of 407, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
revolstar wrote on 2024-03-14, 14:27:

Speaking of AI and youtube videos, have you seen Saxon's latest joint? 🤣 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfca2Kz4064

Watched a minute, the ai generation is 'ok' as far as ai goes, but it just feels lifeless, like a power point presentation. When you watch it something just feels off, cheap and sloppy.

Reply 328 of 407, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2024-03-16, 21:21:

Watched a minute, the ai generation is 'ok' as far as ai goes, but it just feels lifeless, like a power point presentation. When you watch it something just feels off, cheap and sloppy.

All of these AI-generated videos/trailers feel the same, with each shot where everything pretty much stands still, while the camera slightly zooms in/out.

Not saying it won't get better with time, but it definitely needs more work. And this is without even considering all the strange "artifacts" that pop up very often, which give the videos that weird feeling.

Reply 330 of 407, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even if you like the AI styled videos, they have the problem of often looking the same. I follow some channels with new heavy metal releases and now a lot of bands are using AI to make music videos. They all end up looking the same. I understand that they don't have the budgets for fancy music videos, but they could just film themselves playing the song like many bands did in the past.

Reply 331 of 407, by revolstar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-03-17, 18:56:

Even if you like the AI styled videos, they have the problem of often looking the same. I follow some channels with new heavy metal releases and now a lot of bands are using AI to make music videos. They all end up looking the same. I understand that they don't have the budgets for fancy music videos, but they could just film themselves playing the song like many bands did in the past.

Amen to that! I'll take any cheesy metal video over this. Yes, even Dio's "Rainbow in the Dark."

Win98 rig: Athlon XP 2500+/512MB RAM/Gigabyte GA-7VT600/SB Live!/GF FX5700/Voodoo2 12MB
WinXP rig: HP RP5800 - Pentium G850/2GB RAM/GF GT530 1GB
Amiga: A600/2MB RAM
PS3: Slim model, 500GB HDD, mostly for RetroArch, PSX & PS2 games

Reply 332 of 407, by mcyt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-03-10, 05:06:

Even with analytics, how would they know the more recent success had anything to do with telling people to like and subscribe, AI art, click bait video titles, etc.?

In terms of thumbnails, at least, YouTube does have an A/B testing tool. Not everyone has access to it yet but those that do have posted videos of their own telling everyone else what works. If you're a small channel, you can look at what those creators say in common and use their findings to tune your own thumbnails while you wait to get the tool yourself. Supposedly everybody's going to have it by the end of this year.

Reply 333 of 407, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mcyt wrote on 2024-03-18, 06:15:
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-03-10, 05:06:

Even with analytics, how would they know the more recent success had anything to do with telling people to like and subscribe, AI art, click bait video titles, etc.?

In terms of thumbnails, at least, YouTube does have an A/B testing tool. Not everyone has access to it yet but those that do have posted videos of their own telling everyone else what works. If you're a small channel, you can look at what those creators say in common and use their findings to tune your own thumbnails while you wait to get the tool yourself. Supposedly everybody's going to have it by the end of this year.

That's interesting! I don't think it would work in the long-term if everyone adopts it though, as no one would stand out in that situation. Maybe I'll be wrong and we'll be flooded with this stuff forever. Lol.

Reply 334 of 407, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Recently, I get the feeling that many YouTubers end up "chasing the algorithm" instead of simply making good content. Got to tick all of those boxes for maximum engagement! And worst of all, YouTube keeps rewarding this behavior.

As others have mentioned before, some of the best content comes from people who don't care about monetization, sponsors, views etc. and just make videos out of sheer passion.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 336 of 407, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-03-18, 06:33:

Recently, I get the feeling that many YouTubers end up "chasing the algorithm" instead of simply making good content. Got to tick all of those boxes for maximum engagement! And worst of all, YouTube keeps rewarding this behavior.

As others have mentioned before, some of the best content comes from people who don't care about monetization, sponsors, views etc. and just make videos out of sheer passion.

yes totally, and they are often more difficult to find precisely because YouTube seems to elevate anything new and anything that ticks those boxes above the stuff where production is less amateur

and also this:

Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-03-18, 08:12:

The smaller YouTubers seem to spend more time in the comments section as well. It's always nice when the uploader will take the time to answer questions.

I've seen channels slowly change as they become popular where the creator cant interact as much anymore, eventually dropping to a sprinkle of generic comments. I don't blame them but its a loss to the channel, a trade off.

Reply 337 of 407, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tik-Tok……..I think Short clips are the Future of Retro computer channels.
People are busy and don’t have time to watch a documentary about a retro computer product.

People just want a short fix.

These long youtube videos about retro computers are boring.

I think she knows.
https://youtube.com/shorts/TEa-M6_qUII?si=DPtqC6me8mDBqrCM

Reply 338 of 407, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't really care about the view chasers, I only care about videos where the producer is really into the subject. I also make heavy use of the "Wadsworth Constant" when it's a subject I am a bit familiar with.

I am usually trying to get round the algorithm and have to do a lot of external searches into youtube content to avoid it's inability to conceive that I want to watch what I want to watch. It's also annoyingly clingy, like "Oh yeah, 3 years ago you watched a video about boats out of curiosity, so now I'm gonna spam boats into the recommended because nobody pays me to promote the stuff you like."

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 339 of 407, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2024-03-18, 14:10:
Tik-Tok……..I think Short clips are the Future of Retro computer channels. People are busy and don’t have time to watch a documen […]
Show full quote

Tik-Tok……..I think Short clips are the Future of Retro computer channels.
People are busy and don’t have time to watch a documentary about a retro computer product.

People just want a short fix.

These long youtube videos about retro computers are boring.

I think she knows.
https://youtube.com/shorts/TEa-M6_qUII?si=DPtqC6me8mDBqrCM

Well not all of us are deficient in attention spans. This world doesn't need any more short-cuts. I watch retro shows instead of TV shows so I like a longer format, it just depends on the producers ability to entertain.