VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 400 of 407, by megatog615

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote on 2024-04-10, 16:16:

Google have recently removed the ability to view cached pages. They took the option off the search page a long time ago, but you could still view the page by prefixing the URL with cache: e.g. cache:www.website.com/page.html

This no longer works. Now you are sent directly the current live page, bypassing the cached one.

Enshittification...

Reply 401 of 407, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

enshittification is when something's gradually degraded into a paywall. This is just google killing off useful things as they're too big to give a shit. who knows how long the "before:" feature will last in this AI crapulisted cyberspace...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 402 of 407, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2024-04-11, 04:34:

enshittification is when something's gradually degraded into a paywall. This is just google killing off useful things as they're too big to give a shit. who knows how long the "before:" feature will last in this AI crapulisted cyberspace...

i have moved away from google as a search engine to some extent, it just isn't as good as it used to be - it still works well but sometimes i can get better results from alternatives, even duckduckgo and sometimes (shockingly) bing! there are genuine alternatives that mean you could do without google search and be just fine.

there is still no real alternative to youtube though - in terms of reach and critical mass / audience

Reply 403 of 407, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am no stranger to greasemonkey scripts. However, youtube's redesign really made me suffer.

Comments to the right, infinite scroll giant thumbnails to the bottom

How does that even make the slightiest bit of sense?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 404 of 407, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kingcake wrote on 2024-04-01, 20:23:

No offense, but something is wrong with your PC or your network somewhere. This is not the normal experience. YT should work fine on anything Core2Duo or higher. Are you using WiFi? What kind of router? Have you done a site survey?

Yeah, I've realized that it's only one computer (and only one browser on that computer - Chromium-based browsers work fine). Other computers on the same network (even on WiFi) can play YouTube on Firefox without any problems. There's even one with an i3-2330M (slower than any Core 2 Duo I've ever used while getting significantly higher benchmark scores than even an E8600 - it goes beyond benchmark manipulation into total fraud worse than anything the media has ever covered), and if I run Linux on it, it will default to 1080p60 and play with no problems besides a few dropped frames. 720p60 is totally smooth and problem-free on that thing (in Linux).

Clearing the browser cache seems to fix it for about two days.

Reply 405 of 407, by GemCookie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-03, 11:02:

What you really think all Spyware is made by hackers and other nefarious peoples ? if you do I have a lovely bridge in New Jersey to sell you.

Google scripts are the spyware. It's up to you to decide if Alphabet counts as "nefarious people".

Asus Maximus Extreme (X38) | Core 2 Quad Q9550 | GTX 750 Ti | 8 GiB DDR3 | 120 GB SSD + 640 GB HDD | Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium | WinXP64, 7, 11
Fujitsu D1215 board | P3 866 | Riva TNT2 M64 | 256 MiB PC133 CL2 | 120 GB HDD | WfW 3.11, Win95, NT, 2k, XP

Reply 406 of 407, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GemCookie wrote on 2024-04-14, 16:01:
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-03, 11:02:

What you really think all Spyware is made by hackers and other nefarious peoples ? if you do I have a lovely bridge in New Jersey to sell you.

Google scripts are the spyware. It's up to you to decide if Alphabet counts as "nefarious people".

I'm not worried about the obvious spyware like Google, heck I'm not even worried about the spyware you can find with AV or Malwarebytes, its the spyware you cant find and isn't obvious that is dangerous.

Thats the spyware that can really fuck your life up or just give you a super bad month or two.

Reply 407 of 407, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I once found a process called "hellobitch.exe" running on a computer that came to me for repair. If only it was always that obvious.

Is this too much voodoo?