Common searches

First post, by clb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sometimes the reality really is stranger than fiction:

https://gizmodo.com/ebay-stalking-harassing-l … iner-1851160863

eBay Sent Critics a Bloody Pig Mask. Now It’s Paying a $3 Million Fine
A horrific stalking campaign orchestrated by company executives landed eBay the maximum criminal penalty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBay_stalking_scandal

Like, I guess you could imagine this kind of thing from the head of a single sick individual, but that this was operated top-down from some of the executive leadership...?

Holy cow.

This reminded me of the Vogons sticky: VOGONS is no marketplace! that states

Use something like Ebay.

I am not saying that Vogons should add a marketplace, but I wonder if there are other sites to use for Vintage hardware trade that could be highlighted? Etsy? Vcfed Forums?

Or maybe it would be interesting to collectively advertise country-specific lists of marketplaces? Some of them do welcome international bidders. For example, Finland has
- Huuto.net: auction bidding site that has a dedicated Vintage PC section.
- Tori.fi: a non-auction style sales marketplace. No dedicated vintage/retro section, but one can search for related items.

Where do you go for Vintage PC finds, besides eBay?

Reply 1 of 5, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clb wrote on 2024-01-12, 12:37:
Sometimes the reality really is stranger than fiction: […]
Show full quote

Sometimes the reality really is stranger than fiction:

https://gizmodo.com/ebay-stalking-harassing-l … iner-1851160863

eBay Sent Critics a Bloody Pig Mask. Now It’s Paying a $3 Million Fine
A horrific stalking campaign orchestrated by company executives landed eBay the maximum criminal penalty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBay_stalking_scandal

Like, I guess you could imagine this kind of thing from the head of a single sick individual, but that this was operated top-down from some of the executive leadership...?

Holy cow.

This reminded me of the Vogons sticky: VOGONS is no marketplace! that states

Use something like Ebay.

I am not saying that Vogons should add a marketplace, but I wonder if there are other sites to use for Vintage hardware trade that could be highlighted? Etsy? Vcfed Forums?

Or maybe it would be interesting to collectively advertise country-specific lists of marketplaces? Some of them do welcome international bidders. For example, Finland has
- Huuto.net: auction bidding site that has a dedicated Vintage PC section.
- Tori.fi: a non-auction style sales marketplace. No dedicated vintage/retro section, but one can search for related items.

Where do you go for Vintage PC finds, besides eBay?

I think it really indicates a very poor quality of people in senior positions at Ebay. They were acting like a small street gang trying to bolster their position by intimidating people who are 'dissing ' them

it's not just the judgement of those responsible, the naivete that somehow they could silence critics when any outsider would have told them it will only cause more attention and more criticism

in doing so Ebay has drawn more negative attention to themselves than would have occurred had they done nothing at all (I mean not even improved services)

the obvious thing a person in these positions would do is to ignore the critics formally but quietly read it, be honest about if there is something to improve and then improve their business so that it could grow

its an organization in which two (now former!) directors are doing actual jail time for stalking and harrassment - not embezzlement or some kind of business or tax fraud - but low down harassment. What an absolute embarrassment!

anyway, lots of folk get PC stuff through informal networks either face to face or facebook and other social media too and other online sales platforms, probably too many for vogons to list, and saying something "like ebay" is good enough imo

Reply 3 of 5, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2024-01-12, 13:31:

ebay sends me a bloody pig head I send them a bloody horse head, simple as

it's called escalation folks, learn it, love it

The trick is delivering it at night so they wake up with it next to them in bed.