VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This thing has started developing the same annoying problems I've had other joysticks eventually suffer from: every axis has a insane amount of "jitter" despite me not having shanky hands (I'm not that old yet) even the throttle wheel jitters at a complete stand still; and the "TOP" button (which is the button just below the hat switch, identical in appearance to both "THUMB" buttons on the left and right) spontaneously doesn't register me pressing it and then rapidly strobes as if the switch itself is faulty.

The bottom of the joystick base has a big "ASSEMBLED IN MEXICO" sticker on the bottom and also this too: "FLIGHTSTICK PRO USB FSPUSB SN: 20111" and a small sticker that says "214343 APEM" on it. And the infamous "WARRANTY VOID IF SEAL IS BROKEN" going across a crease of the base on the side where the cord comes out.

I assume for the axis problems I need to either thoroughly clean the potentiometers or solder completely new ones? Not sure what to do about the "TOP" button, the other two buttons and the hat switch appear to work fine.

This joystick is also not heavy enough and flies all over the place as I'm trying to use it, is there a way to make this thing "heavy" so it can't be so easily pushed and flown across a surface during use?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 4, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote on 2024-01-17, 06:32:
This thing has started developing the same annoying problems I've had other joysticks eventually suffer from: every axis has a i […]
Show full quote

This thing has started developing the same annoying problems I've had other joysticks eventually suffer from: every axis has a insane amount of "jitter" despite me not having shanky hands (I'm not that old yet) even the throttle wheel jitters at a complete stand still; and the "TOP" button (which is the button just below the hat switch, identical in appearance to both "THUMB" buttons on the left and right) spontaneously doesn't register me pressing it and then rapidly strobes as if the switch itself is faulty.

The bottom of the joystick base has a big "ASSEMBLED IN MEXICO" sticker on the bottom and also this too: "FLIGHTSTICK PRO USB FSPUSB SN: 20111" and a small sticker that says "214343 APEM" on it. And the infamous "WARRANTY VOID IF SEAL IS BROKEN" going across a crease of the base on the side where the cord comes out.

I assume for the axis problems I need to either thoroughly clean the potentiometers or solder completely new ones? Not sure what to do about the "TOP" button, the other two buttons and the hat switch appear to work fine.

This joystick is also not heavy enough and flies all over the place as I'm trying to use it, is there a way to make this thing "heavy" so it can't be so easily pushed and flown across a surface during use?

I haven't tried disassembling CH Flight Stick Pro myself, but I have made a successful attempt with CH Pro Throttle --more than a decade above. The throttle was very jittery at that time, so here's what I did: I turned the throttle upside down, then I took off the four rubber pads from each corner of the underside of the base to expose the screws (each screw is concealed by a rubber pad). Then I unscrewed the 4 screws from each corner to take the bottom off the unit.

Now the throttle's base was opened, I could access the potentiometer. All I did was spraying the potentiometer with contact cleaner, while sliding the throttle handle back and forth, and viola! No more jitters.

CH Products are very well-made, I dare to say they're better made than Thrutsmaster. I think you'd just need to clean the potentiometer of your stick, like I did with my throttle. Good luck.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 4, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2024-01-17, 16:07:

Now the throttle's base was opened, I could access the potentiometer. All I did was spraying the potentiometer with contact cleaner, while sliding the throttle handle back and forth, and viola! No more jitters.

CH Products are very well-made, I dare to say they're better made than Thrutsmaster. I think you'd just need to clean the potentiometer of your stick, like I did with my throttle. Good luck.

I suppose I'll try that first, hopefully cleaning them and also greasing the gimbals will make this thing a lot less awful to use. I looked up somewhere that the fact the gimbals are not "contact greased" is the reason why they clunk very hard when crossing the centre.

Not sure how to better secure the joystick to a flat surface so it won't be pushed around easily during use, but I want to solve the potentiometer problem first.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 4, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote on 2024-01-18, 02:22:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2024-01-17, 16:07:

I suppose I'll try that first, hopefully cleaning them and also greasing the gimbals will make this thing a lot less awful to use. I looked up somewhere that the fact the gimbals are not "contact greased" is the reason why they clunk very hard when crossing the centre.

Good luck, I hope it just needs contact cleaner, just like my throttle.

DracoNihil wrote on 2024-01-18, 02:22:

Not sure how to better secure the joystick to a flat surface so it won't be pushed around easily during use, but I want to solve the potentiometer problem first.

Once you fix the stick, you can put the rubber pads back on their place (which is covering the screws), and you don't need additional adhesive.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.