VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Two weeks ago, all devices on my home internet lost the ability to connect to archive.org. Wired, wireless, PCs, cell phones, whatever.

I own and provide all my network premise equipment, including the cable modem. The Router/Switch/AP stack is Unifi gear. I use Google's DNS. I have no central content blocking or ad filtering in place.

DNS resolves just fine.

Can't establish a connection.

If I connect to a VPN on my PC it works fine. If I switch my cell phone to 5G (T-Mobile) it works fine.

Weird.

Last edited by kingcake on 2024-02-06, 17:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have had this. Not blocked, but severely throttled. This was happening on different connections in different cities, from the same ISP (Aussie Broadband). They are a great ISP for tech support, and I spent some time with them going through traceroutes and stuff. They confirmed they weren't doing anything. Yet jumping on a VPN would solve it.

My theory was that the Internet Archive was throttling blocks of IPs that were hammering the system. The problem eventually went away.

Unfortunately I found no way to contact the archive about tech support. Could not get a response from them on any channel.