VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 33, by Mandrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just don't leave a detailed feedback and you'll be fine, a simple negative is enough without any further comments. It's the same with google reviews, if you leave a wall of text it will be removed 90% of the time. I know people want others to know about the details of their bad experience but it just gives Ebay/Google the opportunity to remove or shadowban their reviews.

Reply 21 of 33, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2024-02-26, 05:12:

I can also confirm this, had a seller outright scam me, I left negative feedback but it promptly disappeared.

Spoiler

WTF, bathsoaps & salts & apple computers & paraphernalia at exorbitant prices !

What did you want to buy from them ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 22 of 33, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weedeewee wrote on 2024-02-26, 16:15:

I can also confirm this, had a seller outright scam me, I left negative feedback but it promptly disappeared.

Spoiler

If you are curious I can discuss in pm.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 23 of 33, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Spoiler

You forgot the car user manuals. 😉

What I find intriguing is that there is a rare 48M RAM upgrade kit for sale for almost 5000$ (a few having already sold) AND there were over 20 computers with this upgrade installed for about 1000$ each (with one still available) .

That weird price structure set aside, while I know people will spend 1000s on their hobbies and some people have huge disposable income, I am surprised that there might be a market for a decades old proprietary RAM upgrade board at nearly 5 grand (or even 1 grand with an extra computer as a "freebie"). Or there might be other possibilities. For example, maybe there are corporate/institutional users with a specific need and deep pockets.

Reply 24 of 33, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2024-02-26, 17:19:
You forgot the car user manuals. ;) […]
Show full quote

Spoiler

You forgot the car user manuals. 😉

What I find intriguing is that there is a rare 48M RAM upgrade kit for sale for almost 5000$ (a few having already sold) AND there were over 20 computers with this upgrade installed for about 1000$ each (with one still available) .

That weird price structure set aside, while I know people will spend 1000s on their hobbies and some people have huge disposable income, I am surprised that there might be a market for a decades old proprietary RAM upgrade board at nearly 5 grand (or even 1 grand with an extra computer as a "freebie"). Or there might be other possibilities. For example, maybe there are corporate/institutional users with a specific need and deep pockets.

yeah noticed those after I went through all of them today.
What the heck is triple milled soap and why does a 158gr bar cost $99 ?

edit: there do seem to be a lot of seller feedback with the same exact line as feedback from several different sellers with a wide range of products. Is there a default feedback reply button perhaps?

Last edited by weedeewee on 2024-02-26, 18:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 25 of 33, by bartonxp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Same thing just happened to me. Seller made an obvious attempt to hide the real issues with an electronics item, I made the mistake of being verbose in my negative review and it was removed.

Mandrew wrote on 2024-02-26, 12:01:

Just don't leave a detailed feedback and you'll be fine, a simple negative is enough without any further comments. It's the same with google reviews, if you leave a wall of text it will be removed 90% of the time. I know people want others to know about the details of their bad experience but it just gives Ebay/Google the opportunity to remove or shadowban their reviews.

This is great advice!

weedeewee wrote on 2024-02-26, 17:54:

yeah noticed those after I went through all of them today.
What the heck is triple milled soap and why does a 158gr bar cost $99 ?

Who cares.

Reply 26 of 33, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote on 2024-02-23, 08:31:

Something I don't understand about eBay feedback in the modern day is rating tabulation. When I check this sellers profile, it says 26K items sold, but the feedback number next to his username is only 4167. If I recall right, users who left feedback but have since unregistered with eBay, will have their feedback tabulation removed from the seller, but I cannot see 22K people deregistering. So, did he sell 26,000 items, but then deleted 20K negative feedback records?

Isn't it more logical that most people don't leave feedback?

Shponglefan wrote on 2024-02-23, 13:04:

2) The % of positive feedback is based on the most recent 12 months. Older negative feedback doesn't contribute to this score. So if a seller has a bad history, but is also getting recent negative feedback removed, this

As a buyer I find this much more useful? There are people who have been on eBay for 10+ years. I don't have any historical interest in what the seller was like 10 years ago, I want to know what they're like now.

Reply 27 of 33, by Capcholo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still a better system for small time buyers than most places. The average guy buys something like once a month or week at most but popular sellers could sell multiple times a day. What happens when you leave a neg for a seller? You get a revenge neg in return and you are basically fkd because most places calculate your final score based on your entire feedback history and not just the last 12 months like Ebay.
If a seller has lots of + feedback and you only have like a 100 then a few negs could actually get your account banned even if you did nothing wrong. So that discourages people from leaving a - feedback even when they were unsatisfied with the purchase.
It actually happened to me recently, I bought a slot2 Xeon advertised as a 900 Mhz model but the seller sent me a 550. When I tried to contact him he ghosted. I have 18 positives and he has 1000< so a neg would get mine below 95% while his would be like 99.9. Two more negs for me and I'm autobanned by the system.
I got scammed and I also get banned if I leave a negative feedback and continue running my mouth. Now THAT'S fkd up.
So a seller on Ebay getting a negative removed sometimes is a small price to pay for the comfort of not having to worry about retaliatory feedback.

Reply 28 of 33, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That would be right if the seller could leave a negative feedback to the buyer, which can't since I'm registered on ebay (back to 2018), so wrong at least for how ebay works in Europe (I don't know if in US is different).

Reply 29 of 33, by Capcholo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nemo1985 wrote on 2024-03-01, 06:09:

That would be right if the seller could leave a negative feedback to the buyer, which can't since I'm registered on ebay (back to 2018), so wrong at least for how ebay works in Europe (I don't know if in US is different).

Exactly my point, Forbes did an article on this before Ebay changed their fb system:

"You'll see that the vast majority of sellers have 99+% positive ratings. If you were grading on a curve, a 98% would probably be equivalent to a "C" on a report card--and it's relatively hard to find buyers with this rating. Below 97%? Forget it. No one's going to buy from you.
There are some who point to the consistently high ratings as a sign the system is working. After all, so this line of argument goes, all the bad sellers are simply weeded out. They get bad ratings, they can't sell, they withdraw their sorry little wares from eBay. End of story.
But there's another, less positive explanation: People are afraid of what is referred to in the eBay community as "retaliatory feedback." That's when a seller (or a buyer--it can happen on both sides) becomes annoyed or enraged at a negative comment posted by someone else about them, and in retaliation posts a negative comment in return. The system obviously has no way of determining for sure the motivations of the various people posting. It therefore happens--and happens quite a lot, according to some estimates--that an innocent person's reputation suffers. And on eBay, reputation is everything, and it results in very specific financial rewards or punishments.
It is this ominous threat of retaliatory feedback that causes everyone to be so very, very nice on eBay, according to some. Rather than risk a negative comment on their own account, many members would rather say nothing than too much. And the way eBay is currently set up, you have no way of knowing the percentage of the total transactions a particular buyer or seller has participated in that has resulted in their existing rating. Yes, you know how many people rated him or her, but you don't know how many people refrained from providing any feedback at all."

And the new system was implemented not long after. People could argue that it put too much power in the hands of buyers but it also put a stop to the retaliatory feedback problem and forced sellers to up their game and take better care of their customers. The same thing happened when Google allowed users to leave business reviews, it forced shops to make sure their buyers were actually satisfied and the quality of service got much better as a result. Sure, some people are gaming the system but the benefits far outweigh the risks because most buyers are honest and just want a quick, easy transaction.

Reply 30 of 33, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The sellers on ebay can definitely still leave feedback about a buyer. You can check on your feedbackprofile.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 31 of 33, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2024-03-01, 11:17:

The sellers on ebay can definitely still leave feedback about a buyer. You can check on your feedbackprofile.

Yes but only positive and per eBay rules if the seller leaves a positive feedback with a negative text you can report the seller and have it removed.
And since I'm sorry but i don't like fake news.
Here is the source of my affirmation: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/leaving-fee … -buyers?id=4078

Another source: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ask-a-Mentor/Wh … a/td-p/33201926

We have enough fake news in this world please restrain from spreading them even further

Reply 32 of 33, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2024-03-01, 11:26:
Yes but only positive and per eBay rules if the seller leaves a positive feedback with a negative text you can report the seller […]
Show full quote
weedeewee wrote on 2024-03-01, 11:17:

Yes but only positive and per eBay rules if the seller leaves a positive feedback with a negative text you can report the seller and have it removed.
And since I'm sorry but i don't like fake news.
Here is the source of my affirmation: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/leaving-fee … -buyers?id=4078

Another source: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ask-a-Mentor/Wh … a/td-p/33201926

We have enough fake news in this world please restrain from spreading them even further

There's nothing fake about what I said. Please restrain yourself.

thanks for the links, they're informational.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 33 of 33, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So for example a seller on eBay has intentionally ripped me off by removing a label from an item and describing it wrong, has then argued with me about it, argued with eBay about it after I disputed it, and even refused to comply with eBay's direct requests to them. The last thing I want to do after that experience is leave negative feedback for the seller and have them argue with me over that. Also this person knows where I live!