VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 46, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sombrero wrote on 2024-03-06, 05:32:

Not sure what subhuman@xgtx means, but some older games do force that back on while playing least on Windows XP and beyond causing mouse acceleration. Fairly sure games like UT99, HL and Deus Ex do that.

But there is a fix for it. Also contains a .reg for WinXP even though it speaks about Win7 and up on the title.

Interesting. I wasn't aware that games could override system settings in that manner.

And cheers for the fix, I'll definitively be using that on XP and 7.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 41 of 46, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-03-06, 06:47:

And cheers for the fix, I'll definitively be using that on XP and 7.

No problem. Ran into that years and years ago when I tried to revisit old games on my then modern PC.

Mouse acceleration is the biggest pain in my ass I've had ever since I turned into a PC gamer and I'm on an eternal crusade against it. I really would like to ask developers what the &#@% are they even doing who even today turn it on by default or even worse FORCE it on.

Reply 42 of 46, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2024-03-06, 07:02:

Mouse acceleration is the biggest pain in my ass I've had ever since I turned into a PC gamer and I'm on an eternal crusade against it. I really would like to ask developers what the &#@% are they even doing who even today turn it on by default or even worse FORCE it on.

USB mouse polling rates above the stock default 125 Hz also cause a slew of problems, and I have to use a hack implemented via a DKMS module to force my current mouse to poll at 125 Hz because Linux's XHCI host drivers don't obey the "mousepoll" options. (Which makes me wonder why the hell the option continues to exist if it does NOTHING)

I'm also going to blame the netcode in UT99 as to why it's "difficult". I've had far better luck playing Unreal 1 deathmatch on 224 and 225 versioned servers compared to the spaghetti code UT99 runs on...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 43 of 46, by Dolenc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In any case, whateverthefuck you do...
Its gonna run better on a new-er system with later patches that break win98 compatibility. The mouse input will be more responsive.

The only reason to even play it on an older OS, in MP form, is to enjoy some a3d asmr.

Reply 44 of 46, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote on 2024-03-06, 09:30:

USB mouse polling rates above the stock default 125 Hz also cause a slew of problems, and I have to use a hack implemented via a DKMS module to force my current mouse to poll at 125 Hz because Linux's XHCI host drivers don't obey the "mousepoll" options. (Which makes me wonder why the hell the option continues to exist if it does NOTHING)

Linux seems a bit odd with these things. I used to try out some linux distro every few years to see would I actually like to use it just to notice horrible mouse acceleration right off the bat without any way (that I knew of) to disable it. Only recently I've learned that KDE has a built in way to disable mouse acceleration while gnome doesn't for some extremely baffling reason.

And speaking of USB polling I actually used to have a system that sometimes freezed during boot if I had my mouse of the time set to 1000hz. I still don't increase it above 125hz even though I definitely do notice the difference.

Reply 45 of 46, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2024-03-06, 16:49:

Linux seems a bit odd with these things. I used to try out some linux distro every few years to see would I actually like to use it just to notice horrible mouse acceleration right off the bat without any way (that I knew of) to disable it. Only recently I've learned that KDE has a built in way to disable mouse acceleration while gnome doesn't for some extremely baffling reason.

And speaking of USB polling I actually used to have a system that sometimes freezed during boot if I had my mouse of the time set to 1000hz. I still don't increase it above 125hz even though I definitely do notice the difference.

The mouse polling rate thing isn't even a Linux problem. Very old games absolutely do not like when certain input events happen way too quickly. LithTech engine games will completely break and may even misbehave so badly as to reduce your FPS to sub 20 when certain input polling rates are setup.

I don't have as much mouse problems with Unreal Engine 1 games when things operate at 125 Hz in general, but there is very subtle nuances in functionality if you jump that to the 1000 Hz a lot of modern mice seem to constantly demand the system to set it to...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 46 of 46, by nezwick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well a small update to the conversation:

I reinstalled the graphics drivers for my x800 and now the framerates in UT ride the 85 FPS limit all day. That did make gameplay noticeably smoother. Maybe once I work out some of these technical issues, I can focus on becoming a better player. All the good hardware in the world can't help me from getting stomped by the experts though!

XP: A64 3000+ S754 / 2GB DDR / 500GB SATA / Audigy1
2K: AXP 1700+ @ 1.61 / 1GB DDR / 120GB IDE / X800XL / Audigy 2ZS
98SE: P3 500 / 512MB SDR / 120GB IDE / V3 3000 AGP / Vortex2
95: P200 MMX / 32MB SDR / 3.2GB IDE
DOS/3.11: Acer 1120SX, 386SX-20