VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone else on here also buy retro tech from eBay? I do as it is the easiest way for me to find things I am looking for as there doesn't seem to be much in my local area for retro/older computer stuff.

One thing I have found though, is the high number of misleading titles and descriptions. As in, the title does not match what is actually being sold.

The title says " Maxtor L01P100 Ultra Series 100GB 8MB Cache 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive Opened", but then you receive it and it is a Maxtor 20GB hard drive. Even in the description it says it is a 100GB drive. I guess I should of looked closer at the pictures. And what I heck of a time I've been having with this 20GB drive. Tried it in one computer and it wouldn't post with it plugged in. On another system and trying to copy files to/from it and it goes to 100% CPU usage.

I have noticed this a lot with CD drives as well. Listed as being new in box or open box and the drive inside doesn't match the brand or anything to what the box actually says. The title and description should be of what the item is actually in the box, not what the box says.

I've been trying to get together a bunch of hardware from around 2005 with the boxes to do a build and it has been somewhat hard and/or I don't want to pay the ridiculous prices people are asking.

Reply 1 of 24, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the description and/or photos of an eBay item contain any contradictions or inconsistencies, I see 3 possible scenarios

a) seller made an honest mistake
b) seller is a scammer, at least on some level
c) seller is a moron and/or sloppy

One can get a hint by checking seller's other auctions. If they are similarly flawed, b) is very likely, though c) is possible too. To me, either of those is a hard pass.

If one suspects that scenario a) may apply (because only one item is erroneous or contradictory), contacting the seller through official eBay channels is an option and then seeing how they react should be indicative of whether scenario a) applies.

I use this methodology on other platforms too.

I understand that you want to pay less and some stuff is really overpriced, IMHO, but, again IMHO, dealing with sellers who are scammers and/or morons (a seller can be both) is not going to end in a satisfactory way for a buyer. As the saying goes, if it's too good to be true...

EDIT : BTW, if it says new in box AND there is only one item for sale AND not photos of the item inside the box, it is a potential red flag for me as well . Context can help here, but it is trickier. For example, it could be true, it could be a scam or it could be someone clueless finding a new looking box with the wrong content in the attic. The seller reaction is important here. If they hide behind a "it's shrink wrapped and I don't want to open it" argument, It's a hard pass for me unless they have multiple units (and even then unsealing one one as a demo is common ). If it's software or something collectible, the attitude may be more understandable, but the re-sealed box scam with dubious content is a common one in the collectible market, AFAIK (I don't usually have interest in those kinds of items).

Reply 2 of 24, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see this with GPUs in boxes a lot, a number of times I have kindly let the seller know they have a wrong description and they sometimes take the auction down and fix it, most sellers just leave it up incorrect hoping to catch some sucker. Even had a few take it down and put it back up correct but with an increased price because they think someone is interested in the item. (Sellers who cancel an auction and increase the price once they know there is interest need to be reported and kicked off eBay)

Evilbay is weird man.

Reply 3 of 24, by lizard78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I've also noticed this same issue. A very common form of it is a listing with a photo of an OEM / original part and including something along the lines of "Original" in the title. Usually they have some disclaimer in tiny text at the bottom that you "might not receive exactly what is pictured". When it shows up you get some 0.25$ part from Ali Express. This is really common with heatsinks, fans, and other common replacement parts. My reading of the eBay rules is both the description and the image need to match what you receive, so don't get fooled if you run into this - open up a dispute.

Reply 4 of 24, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-09, 05:19:

I see this with GPUs in boxes a lot, a number of times I have kindly let the seller know they have a wrong description and they sometimes take the auction down and fix it, most sellers just leave it up incorrect hoping to catch some sucker. Even had a few take it down and put it back up correct but with an increased price because they think someone is interested in the item. (Sellers who cancel an auction and increase the price once they know there is interest need to be reported and kicked off eBay)

Evilbay is weird man.

will they catch someone though? ebay is pretty good about supporting the buyer if you make a claim. maybe video the 'unboxing' so as to leave no doubt if its expensive!

not sure its bad if seller ups the price thinking someone is interested, they will soon discover it wasn't so when the item goes round for months without a bid! (still, seller is wasting time!)

Reply 5 of 24, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've noticed this where sellers will use stock photos of items that don't necessarily match the description.

I usually just avoid those particular items because who knows what one will end up receiving.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 6 of 24, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-04-09, 14:53:

I've noticed this where sellers will use stock photos of items that don't necessarily match the description.

I usually just avoid those particular items because who knows what one will end up receiving.

As do I.

Category c (extended) : seller is a moron and/or sloppy (and/or lazy)

Reply 7 of 24, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Then there's the high price no photo clowns, first word, sounds like Cream, second word, two syllables, 1st syllable sounds like bard, 2nd syllable sounds like snare.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 24, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At the end of the day, if I want an item that I just want to install/use and don't care about the original box, having the option of buying something with the original packaging actually counts against a given auction (for me). I have no use for the box AND it adds to the perceived value (for some people) /cost (for everyone) AND me buying it deprives someone who cares of something they want .

Reply 9 of 24, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's one or two things though where the boxed one is nearly the only hope in hell of getting custom cables and adapters that only came with that card and are needed for it's full operation.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 11 of 24, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-10, 03:55:

Then there's the high price no photo clowns, first word, sounds like Cream, second word, two syllables, 1st syllable sounds like bard, 2nd syllable sounds like snare.

Heh, these days it’s impossible to do an eBay search for retro items without this seller polluting the results with his stupidly expensive no picture listings.

Not only are the prices absurd, they also seem completely random… meaning you can find a very expensive but somewhat rare item but also an even more expensive bottom of the barrel generic I/O card. It has to be some sort of money laundering business, why would anyone buy from that seller???

Reply 12 of 24, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote on 2024-04-10, 10:16:

Heh, these days it’s impossible to do an eBay search for retro items without this seller polluting the results with his stupidly expensive no picture listings.

Not only are the prices absurd, they also seem completely random… meaning you can find a very expensive but somewhat rare item but also an even more expensive bottom of the barrel generic I/O card. It has to be some sort of money laundering business, why would anyone buy from that seller???

there are things that go round and round for months without a buyer, it's all a bit strange. either allowing that has no cost to the seller or there is something else going on.

Reply 13 of 24, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2024-04-11, 16:05:

there are things that go round and round for months without a buyer, it's all a bit strange. either allowing that has no cost to the seller or there is something else going on.

Months? There are lots of stuff that aren't being sold for years!!!😄

Reply 14 of 24, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Or they use stock photo's from a Google search. It is 2024, there is zero reason or acceptable answer as to why they don't have actual photo's of the item being sold. Oh and don't forget about the sellers who post 4 or more photo's and 1 or 2 of them seem out of place, not like the others (different colour, item, etc.)

Reply 15 of 24, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2024-04-12, 06:01:
gerry wrote on 2024-04-11, 16:05:

Months? There are lots of stuff that aren't being sold for years!!!😄

Yup, I always check out if a seller has modified the listing and sometimes things have been listed for a very long time without a buyer. If it was me and it hasn't sold for months or years, then obviously my pricing is way out to lunch and should be lowered.

Reply 16 of 24, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was looking at some boxed video games I want to get to replace the boxes I had gotten rid of years ago and most are around a similar price, then there was a couple sellers who are selling the same items for $300-$600 when the sold items are only going for around $15-$50.

Reply 17 of 24, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-10, 04:22:

There's one or two things though where the boxed one is nearly the only hope in hell of getting custom cables and adapters that only came with that card and are needed for it's full operation.

Yup! I am wanting to get a Radeon All-In-Wonder card and the only way to get all the cables is to get one in box.
The same can be said for the Creative Labs Live! Drive. I have always wanted one, but they are always missing the cable(s) and remote.

Reply 18 of 24, by johnvosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yup, I totally agree. It is 2024, there is no reason or acceptable answer as to why a seller shouldn't have pictures of the actual item they are selling. Honestly, ebay should make it policy that the item being sold has actual pictures of the item with a handwritten piece of paper with the date and seller name on it so you know what you are getting.

Reply 19 of 24, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
johnvosh wrote on 2024-04-14, 22:01:

Yup, I totally agree. It is 2024, there is no reason or acceptable answer as to why a seller shouldn't have pictures of the actual item they are selling. Honestly, ebay should make it policy that the item being sold has actual pictures of the item with a handwritten piece of paper with the date and seller name on it so you know what you are getting.

You can block the seller(s) in you sesrches. Are there that many clueless sellers on that specific point ?

I just wrote this, then I recalled seeing some product photos recently that looked like they were taken in a dark room with a liberal serving of vaseline on the dollar store grade camera's lense. I had to ask myself whether the seller is just extremely lazy, really incompetent/green or just a plain moron before I realized I didn't really care and moved on. Admittedly, if the item had been hard to find/unique I might have seen things differently. As it stands, Murtaugh summed it up best: "I'm too old for this shit.". 😉

On a side note, I'm getting flashbacks to this thread: Some eBay sellers are assholes