VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a laptop with a 1TB NVMe.

Before I start copying stuff from my old one, would it be better to create a 2nd partition for data?
I'm just unaware of any backdrops in doing so, as I did with SSDs.

I have Windows 11 Home, would 256GB enough to be happy forever with updates?

Thanks

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 1 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Should be, although if you have a lot of memory and use hibernation that might be a tight fit.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't bother. The benefits of partitioning drives is in the past.

You used to partition drives to get Windows closer to the start (or end? I forgot) of the drive platter for performance reasons. Obviously not a thing in the SSD world.

You used to partition drives because reformatting before reinstalling Windows used to be a thing and it isn't needed any longer. Windows will reinstall in place and move the old system files elsewhere for you in case you need them.

You used to partition drives because it was a simple and efficient way to organize things, now Windows has organized user folders and there are applications that rely on that structure being used.

Reply 3 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For my laptops I tend to keep data off of them as much as possible. When not possible I just store it on the same drive and either move it off when I need to wipe or restore the files from backup.
If you want another partition I'd just split 50/50 of your remaining space after overprovisioning if you do overprovision.
Also forever is a very long time.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 9, by StriderTR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also don't bother partitioning modern drives, there really are no benefits other that looking tidy.

When I want to segregate my data, I use different physical drives. On a single drive system I just use that drive at it's max capacity and use the fastest external option available to me as segregated storage if necessary. For "slow" storage I use SD cards if they are available on the system, or those small USB flash drives that look more like Bluetooth dongles so they don't stick out far enough to really get broken or cause damage if they're bumped.

On a side note, my current desktop OS (Win10Pro) drive is only 256GB, and I've still got over 100GB free after 2 years of daily use. The only things that go on my system drive are whats required, and my security software, nothing else. Applications and games all get their own drives, and all of my backups are external.

Retro Blog: https://theclassicgeek.blogspot.com/
Archive: https://archive.org/details/@theclassicgeek/
3D Things: https://www.thingiverse.com/classicgeek/collections

Reply 6 of 9, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2024-04-12, 22:01:

Does the laptop have a free NVME slot or SATA bay ?

No clue. I have to investigate this.
Good idea!

To all others keep posting as you are helping me understand.
Collective thanks!

Reply 7 of 9, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

NVMe drives ARE SSDs. That's the communication/interface protocol. The form factor is called M.2; there are even SATA M.2 drives. The older form factor is called the same as HDDs, 2.5".

As for partitioning, it could be of use like any other drive.

I usually create two, OS/programs and data, so that in case something goes really wrong, I can wipe the OS drive without having to backup anything important. I even have the user folder paths (pictures, download, etc.) set to the data partition.

However, for me personally, 1 TB isn't enough for that and I'd make just a single installation partition, and use separate drives for storage.

256 GB for OS/programs can be enough, but it really depends on what you're installing. I have 512 GB for that and it's not enough, although I do install larger games. I have to move to 2 TB given how ridiculously large the install sizes have become.

Reply 8 of 9, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is under provisioning still a thing?

I mean, when SSDs first came, it was recommended to partition less (about 5% or 10% less) of total capacity, to delay wear. I don't think it makes much sense unless your disks are almost filled up, and that's not a desirable thing even on regular mechanical disks.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 9 of 9, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my main pc each os has its own dedicated SSD.
Data on HDDs.

External HDDs for backups.

On a laptop I only use the usual basic boring stuff. No games.
What makes me a dull boy 😀