Looks like the movement has started
https://www.engadget.com/ubisoft-is-deleting- … -165328083.html

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 92, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing new there. I don't even consider game libraries on online contend delivery platforms a collection. And Ubisoft have been on my black list since about 2014 (2 years after I blacklisted EA) for being anti-consumer.

If they had a shred of decency they'd made an offline update and left the game to those who had it, but Ubisoft haven't been known for having a spine for a very long time.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 4 of 92, by capitaine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

we don’t own a damned thing

That's it.
You never buy games, music, movies...but only a right to use them in a context.

There's even more fun with "collector editions", which include much crap but no games at all.

UNBOXING THE CREW 2 MOTOR EDITION / COLLECTOR'S EDITION 4K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a0PBSNHylk

Collector's Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzXm5A2dq3g

Reply 5 of 92, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's going to get worse with streaming; companies have worked out that they can make much more money long-term by having you pay a rolling subscription fee. Netflix have been removing things for ages.

I've never been anti-free market, but I hate this practise; and it won't stop without regulation.

90s PC: IBM 6x86 MX PR 300. TNT2 M64.
Boring modern PC: i7-12700, RX 7800XT.
Fixer upper project: NEC Powermate 486SX/25

Reply 6 of 92, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-04-13, 21:31:

Was it the first game to be removed in this manner? The news is old, but this is the first game I see to be affected.

I just checked my account and Might and Magic Heroes 7 is also removed. I don't know why this would be, but alas it is.

Reply 7 of 92, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any digital game that you purchase on steam or epic, make sure to make a backup of the installed files. If you get it from gog, go to your account page on the website and download its offline installer.

Don't buy stuff from MS store or publisher stores.

Don't buy online only games, and if you do, do it with the knowledge that they will stop working at some point.

Reply 8 of 92, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ubisoft has been scummy for years, this is just their latest escapade. I do wish someone would take them to court over revoking the download license, just to see how EU laws would treat that.

In my view, PC game ownership became problematic during the late 2000s and early 2010s, as online activation got more common. Even worse were single player games which needed an always online internet connection to run. That was one of the reasons why I switched back to console gaming around that time. It helped for a while, but sadly, things aren't much better there now. At present, it's not uncommon for a physical disc of a console game to only contain the installer which sets up a download. Or that a console game requires you to log into a publisher's service to unlock all the features.

Nowadays, I just stick with retro games, preferably the DRM-free kind from GOG. Or the old console stuff, before online crap had infested them.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 9 of 92, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

as a rule i would think of everything that relies on being online as being rented - even if its a hardware system that wont work unless it downloads periodic updates or 'phones home' to function

really, there are enough films, music, games and so on that are outside of the 'rental' conditions, i can just do without.

it means there will be many media i never see, hear, play - and that's fine with me

Reply 10 of 92, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This isn't just an issue with games, but also movies, and any other kind of media at this point. This is also why I don't trust others with "ownership" if the so-called "product" lives on THEIR servers of which I am refused the ability to manage the very existence of such data.

I don't trust corporations at all. Generally, I find most companies grimy, slimy, sleazy, and not trustworthy at all these days, and when they are trustworthy, I know it's a limited time that they will remain such, and it's likely to "jump the shark" per-se sometime in the future. And I have a feeling it's going to get worse in my lifetime.

With gaming, it's less of an issue for me anyway because the biggest "newer" franchise for me is Five nights at Freddy's (up through UCN), and I figured out a way to archive that one off my installs from Steam somehow without the DRM attached. Probably 99.5% of what I play is old stuff that came on floppy disks or cartridges, so none of that is impacted by DRM. There's a part of me thinking a lot of us are going to be playing 40+ year old copies of The Legend of Zelda in the future on 40 year old hardware or ROMs rather than trusting these questionable companies with their "cloud" crap! Seriously f*** SaaS!

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 12 of 92, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eddman wrote on 2024-04-14, 01:03:

Any digital game that you purchase on steam or epic, make sure to make a backup of the installed files. If you get it from gog, go to your account page on the website and download its offline installer.

Don't buy stuff from MS store or publisher stores.

Don't buy online only games, and if you do, do it with the knowledge that they will stop working at some point.

expiration dates like food
heck amazon luna added a feature like this is available only until certain date for the fallout series

iami

Reply 13 of 92, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-04-14, 01:39:

Ubisoft has been scummy for years, this is just their latest escapade. I do wish someone would take them to court over revoking the download license, just to see how EU laws would treat that.

In my view, PC game ownership became problematic during the late 2000s and early 2010s, as online activation got more common. Even worse were single player games which needed an always online internet connection to run. That was one of the reasons why I switched back to console gaming around that time. It helped for a while, but sadly, things aren't much better there now. At present, it's not uncommon for a physical disc of a console game to only contain the installer which sets up a download. Or that a console game requires you to log into a publisher's service to unlock all the features.

Nowadays, I just stick with retro games, preferably the DRM-free kind from GOG. Or the old console stuff, before online crap had infested them.

theres gog, humblebundle, itch io, jordan freeman group, drm free media but that comes at the cost of wheres the recurring revenue for one time perpetual subscription sites where you pay once and get unlimited access or rights to download the media.

iami

Reply 14 of 92, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MAZter wrote on 2024-04-15, 16:31:

This is why we prefer to collect physical game copies.

retro physical game copies from 80s to 90s given in 2000s internet drm became a thing with product activation starting with windows xp. i remember finding old games at thrift stores but i let it go considering it might be a scalped copy

iami

Reply 15 of 92, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
capitaine wrote on 2024-04-13, 22:01:
That's it. You never buy games, music, movies...but only a right to use them in a context. […]
Show full quote

we don’t own a damned thing

That's it.
You never buy games, music, movies...but only a right to use them in a context.

There's even more fun with "collector editions", which include much crap but no games at all.

UNBOXING THE CREW 2 MOTOR EDITION / COLLECTOR'S EDITION 4K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a0PBSNHylk

Collector's Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzXm5A2dq3g

you never did own, since you cant resell your license or rights to use them in a context

iami

Reply 16 of 92, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You do still own the software but you are limited as to what you can do with it. As for as situations where the technological measure fails to "effectively control" or "effectively protect" (online functionality it depends on to work no longer works) then as per the DMCA and the redundant DMCA excemption (if the DMCA applies for you country) then you are good to circumvent the DRM so that you can use your owned software. It doesn't matter what a store TOS says, this is covered by precedent in similar prior cases.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 17 of 92, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember a similar argument from the companies about CDs and ownership. I don't remember what exactly it is but their argument at the time boiled down to you own the CD but not the music on the CD. So my suggestion at that time was to scratch up every CD and make the companies pay to replace their defective product. Not that I did this , and the movement didnt happen =).

Reply 18 of 92, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When games are pretty much only fun online and the company who owns the servers shuts them down you are out of luck.

I got lucky with my favorite game being picked up by Voobly.com (Age of Empires II) so I can still play it online but even they won't be around forever.

Even games from GOG that you can download won't be playable forever since newer OS can break them and old hardware will die.

Any game big enough to have DRM will have a group crack it sooner or later.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 19 of 92, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MAZter wrote on 2024-04-15, 16:31:

This is why we prefer to collect physical game copies.

Unfortunately, that's not enough for certain games released in the late 2000s and early 2010s. Some of those have online authentication DRM, and the servers which used to facilitate that are no longer functional. Meaning, you can't legitimately play the physical copy of your game, and have to look for alternative workarounds.

Relevant video from Tech Tangents: Digital decay of 2000s PC game DRM.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi