VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hexcor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently picked up an MT-32 for my Toshiba Satellite 440CDT (pentium 133 MMX) (https://support.dynabook.com/support/staticCo … omTOCLink=false) . Since it lacks a gameport, I pickedup a port replicator that has one. The soundcard is a SBPro (or comparable). I setup SoftMPU and it doesn't seem to be working. When I try various games (QG1, DOTT) there's not music. Not sure if I was doing something wrong, I did add /mpu:330 /sb:220 /irq:7 matching the system settings. Should I change the IRQ to 9 (Problem: Some games expect to find an MPU interface on IRQ 2, but my sound but my sound card doesn’t support it. Solution: Configure your sound card to use IRQ 9.)?

Reply 1 of 3, by schlomoe99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope the IRQ 2/9 option works for you. Otherwise, did you add the SBMIDI switch?

From the Github page for SOFTMPU:
https://bjt42.github.io/softmpu/

The optional /OUTPUT:SBMIDI switch forces Sound Blaster MIDI to be used. This mode is intended for use with the Sound Blaster Pro 2 and other sound cards without a hardware MPU-401 interface. Game compatibility may be reduced.

It won't work on all games. On my desktop SB Pro 2 it didn't work on Sim City 2000 for instance, but it did work on Warcraft II.

Alternatively, you can try the serial interface option, though you'll need to build or buy your own cable:

USING SOFTMPU: SERIAL MIDI MODE Run SoftMPU specifying the serial interface to be used and the base port address of the MPU-401 […]
Show full quote

USING SOFTMPU: SERIAL MIDI MODE
Run SoftMPU specifying the serial interface to be used and the base port address of the MPU-401 interface, e.g.

SOFTMPU.EXE /MPU:330 /OUTPUT:COM1

A Sound Blaster base port address and IRQ can optionally be specified if MPU-401 interrupts are required.

Here you will find an introduction to a DB9 to midi cable for this option:
MT-32 cable options
Roland MT32 - Direct Connection to Serial / COM1 SoftMPU