Pył, Pyl, Dust in English with 3dfx finally playable!!!

General information and assistance with dgVoodoo.

Re: Pył, Pyl, Dust in English with 3dfx finally playable!!!

Postby robertmo » 2019-10-09 @ 05:50

it is strange but it looks that minimum gamma setting in pyl in dosbox almost matches maximum gamma setting in pyl in qemu. By almost i mean dosbox is still slightly lighter and qemu is still slightly darker with those settings. Have you adjusted anything for qemu?
robertmo
l33t

Postby kjliew » 2019-10-09 @ 07:49

No, but this is a good clue to narrow my search. I think I need to review the grGamma* pass-through code.
kjliew

Postby kjliew » 2019-10-10 @ 19:07

I managed to fix the washed colors issue. I nailed down the bug in the guest wrappers truncation of float precision in guFogTableIndexToW(). Now, the colors look the same as in DOSBox with dgVoodoo2. The same bug impacted OpenGlide much more that the colors are downright ugly with LfbNoAux, so this gives hints that it has nothing to do with the aux/depth buffer.

The minor artifact of faint fire see-through the door is still there, and I think that is clearly the artifacts of shared memory approximation of LFB semantics to provide real speed for VM acceleration.

Attached the fixed GLIDE2X.OVL. Apparently all guest wrappers are affected as this is a common function for Glide2.11, Glide2x and Glide3x, and they will be covered in the next code drop.
Attachments
glide2x.ovl.zip
Fixed guFogTableIndexToW
(10.27 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
kjliew

Postby robertmo » 2019-10-10 @ 19:41

kjliew wrote:The minor artifact of faint fire see-through the door is still there, and I think that is clearly the artifacts of shared memory approximation of LFB semantics to provide real speed for VM acceleration.

I noticed this happens with different sources of light (fire, lamps) that shine through potentially moving objects: like door, people, mechwarrior.
robertmo
l33t

Postby kjliew » 2019-10-10 @ 20:12

robertmo wrote:I noticed this happens with different sources of light (fire, lamps) that shine through potentially moving objects: like door, people, mechwarrior.

Only in Pyl or other games? Pyl has *Mechwarrior* inside the game??
I confirmed that this also fixes the long-standing issue of Fog in OpenGlide for Titanium Mechwarrors series. Yeah, I can now play Titanium Mechwarriors series in Linux :happy: without having Fog disabled and inferior rendering compared to the superb Glide emulation in Windows.
kjliew

Postby robertmo » 2019-10-10 @ 20:20

kjliew wrote:Only in Pyl or other games?

I was testing Pyl

kjliew wrote:Pyl has *Mechwarrior* inside the game??

you can see part of it in the left part of the picture in my pyl translation thread ;)
robertmo
l33t

Previous

Return to dgVoodoo General