VOGONS

First post, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would be great to have possibility to add option of transparent HUD.
With ability to set transparency level of it.
I mean so that you could see the actual 3D game through 2D part of game (see through cockpit etc.)

Reply 1 of 3, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You should know why this isn't possible. You even posted in the topic I'm going to link to:
Controlling the filtering of 2D GUI elements
dgVoodoo does not know which textures are the HUD.

Also depending on the game, it might not even render anything under the HUD. Why would it?

Reply 2 of 3, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dege wrote on 2020-02-29, 12:26:

If the HUD is drawn as 3D polygons then they simply get scaled along with all other polygons (and dgVoodoo doesn't know which polygons are HUD).
If the HUD is drawn through 2D bitmap blitting then they also scaled (2d-scaling), either with point sampled or bilinear filtering (see option 'Bilinear blit stretch').
If the HUD is drawn by direct CPU access then the written pixels get 2D-scaled with point sampled filtering.

The first case is not possible
but i think second and third cases are possible

Reply 3 of 3, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote on 2020-04-13, 19:57:
Dege wrote on 2020-02-29, 12:26:

If the HUD is drawn as 3D polygons then they simply get scaled along with all other polygons (and dgVoodoo doesn't know which polygons are HUD).
If the HUD is drawn through 2D bitmap blitting then they also scaled (2d-scaling), either with point sampled or bilinear filtering (see option 'Bilinear blit stretch').
If the HUD is drawn by direct CPU access then the written pixels get 2D-scaled with point sampled filtering.

The first case is not possible
but i think second and third cases are possible

Hmm... maybe.
None of the 2nd and 3rd cases are evident because blitting/CPU access are utilized for other purposes too, not just for drawing HUD, like manipulating textures, or they are intermediate parts of the process for drawing HUD. But, maybe by detecting if the target is a backbuffer it could work.