VOGONS

First post, by Pufferfish9billion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I'm new to this forum so sorry if I'm doing something wrong.

I have Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 3200g and RX Vega 8. HL2 is running in XP2 compat mode, no fullscreen optimizations and high DPI scaling performed by application. Game version is:
Protocol version 7
Exe version 1.0.1.0 (valve)
Exe build: 19:38:18 Dec 21 2004 (2236)

I have tried various dgVoodoo2 settings and the only GPU that fixes it is the GeForce 5700 Ultra, 9800 GT and the default card all have the fog bug. Other settings (which don't seem to affect the bug) are DX11 and fast memory access, rest is default.

===================================

Now for the actual post:

The 5700 Ultra breaks water in the menus (I have the canals menu background rn) by making it look like the simple reflections setting, even though all settings minus AA are maxxed (I'm using -dxlevel90 too). Weirdly the gameplay water works fine and has full reflections. I'm asking this 'cause I'm wondering if there are any other defects by playing the game this way. Also my game seems to have a bloom effect which I didn't think was possible in this version, is it 'cause I played the modern version first (the 2004 version first launched in 1080p with the same settings I used on the modern one) or is this normal?

Thank you in advance!

P.S. Screenshots are taken in 720p windowed, fullscreen won't screenshot nice for some reason.

menu2aced46d19a4a5f1.png
gameplay25e9ad6554b758ae.jpeg