VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 301 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

Or, were you meaning including the fixed version of the MS ddraw in the pack?

I was meaning "Win 8/Win 8.1 are completely different beasts from Windows 7 with old games" :p

Two questions/requests:

*can you implement the support for 8bit paletted textures (much used in pre-D3D8 era)? NVidia and ATI/AMD GPUs dropped the support since 2004.....
*16 bit color depth (Glide and D3D applications) is already automatically converted to 32? As you may know Win 8/8.1 doesn't support really well 16 bit color depth

Reply 302 of 3949, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

Ok, thanks for that!
Does dgVoodooSetup find your monitor or just the 'Default' is in the list (General tab\Full screen output)?

I'll answer from my experience as exactly the same happens to me: The monitor option lists default or \\. \DISPLAY1, no resolution other than unforced is selectable. I'm using a 60Hz monitor connected via HDMI if that's of any relevance.

Reply 303 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Silanda wrote:
Dege wrote:

Ok, thanks for that!
Does dgVoodooSetup find your monitor or just the 'Default' is in the list (General tab\Full screen output)?

I'll answer from my experience as exactly the same happens to me: The monitor option lists default or \\. \DISPLAY1, no resolution other than unforced is selectable. I'm using a 60Hz monitor connected via HDMI if that's of any relevance.

That's weird, I get it on both of my 120hz, but neither of my 60hz monitors. Do you also get problems enumerating resolutions ingame? The Wipeout demo is a good test, just run WIPEOUT2.EXE and see if the resolution dropdown box is blank or has defaulted to a resolution.

Is it a 1080p monitor?

Reply 304 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Silanda wrote:
Dege wrote:

Ok, thanks for that!

I've found something in the code. Too many resolutions with many refresh rates can cause the setup to fail to query the reso-list.
I could reproduce it myself by causing side-case artifically. I fixed that and uploaded a temporary version of the setup:

http://dege.fw.hu/dgVoodooSetup.zip

Does it work properly?

Reply 305 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
I was meaning "Win 8/Win 8.1 are completely different beasts from Windows 7 with old games" :p […]
Show full quote

I was meaning "Win 8/Win 8.1 are completely different beasts from Windows 7 with old games" :p

Two questions/requests:

*can you implement the support for 8bit paletted textures (much used in pre-D3D8 era)? NVidia and ATI/AMD GPUs dropped the support since 2004.....
*16 bit color depth (Glide and D3D applications) is already automatically converted to 32? As you may know Win 8/8.1 doesn't support really well 16 bit color depth

It supports 8bit paletted textures as well as (logical) 16 bit color depths. All 3D rendering is done at 32bit because D3D11 does not support lower quality. If the rendering is done on a logically 16 bit target (Glide or D3D with a 16 bit surface) then the quality of the result is lowered to 16 bit quality except when dithering is enabled. Also, if a pointer is requested from the application for such a target to access that directly, then a true 32->16 conversion takes place done by dgVoodoo itself and vice-versa (16->32 when applying modifications done by the application).
So, the graphics driver always see 32 bit rendering while the various bit depths are virtual to the wrapped applications.

See also, Re: VR Sports Powerboat Racing - anyone got Direct3D working on anything newer than Win98?

Reply 306 of 3949, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
I've found something in the code. Too many resolutions with many refresh rates can cause the setup to fail to query the reso-lis […]
Show full quote
Silanda wrote:
Dege wrote:

Ok, thanks for that!

I've found something in the code. Too many resolutions with many refresh rates can cause the setup to fail to query the reso-list.
I could reproduce it myself by causing side-case artifically. I fixed that and uploaded a temporary version of the setup:

Does it work properly?

It most certainly does! My available resolutions are now showing up.

Reply 307 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
It supports 8bit paletted textures as well as (logical) 16 bit color depths. All 3D rendering is done at 32bit because D3D11 doe […]
Show full quote
lowenz wrote:
I was meaning "Win 8/Win 8.1 are completely different beasts from Windows 7 with old games" :p […]
Show full quote

Two questions/requests:

It supports 8bit paletted textures as well as (logical) 16 bit color depths. All 3D rendering is done at 32bit because D3D11 does not support lower quality. If the rendering is done on a logically 16 bit target (Glide or D3D with a 16 bit surface) then the quality of the result is lowered to 16 bit quality except when dithering is enabled. Also, if a pointer is requested from the application for such a target to access that directly, then a true 32->16 conversion takes place done by dgVoodoo itself and vice-versa (16->32 when applying modifications done by the application).
So, the graphics driver always see 32 bit rendering while the various bit depths are virtual to the wrapped applications.

See also, Re: VR Sports Powerboat Racing - anyone got Direct3D working on anything newer than Win98?

Thanks! Perfect 😁

Reply 308 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried X-Wing Alliance (DirectX 6 ?).

Intro Videos and menu work. 3D acceleration is not available and software mode only shows the hud with the Loading Screen flashing in the background.

The log contains these lines (apart from the DXGI Errors seen in my other logs):
00000688 11.32663059 [4156] Textbuffer not initialized in hudClearTextBox()!
00000689 11.32664585 [4156] Textbuffer not initialized in hudClearTextBox()!
00000690 11.32666492 [4156] Textbuffer not initialized in hudClearTextBox()!

Edit: Added Pix Log.

Attachments

• Filename
    XWA.txt
    File size
    661.12 KiB
    Downloads
    114 downloads
    File comment
    Pix Logfile
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 309 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:
I've found something in the code. Too many resolutions with many refresh rates can cause the setup to fail to query the reso-lis […]
Show full quote
Silanda wrote:
Dege wrote:

Ok, thanks for that!

Does it work properly?

That works for enumerating resolutions in the setup, I now have a huge list of available resolutions.

Including 640x480@60hz, 800x600@60hz and 1024x768@60hz (I'll list all of them if you want).

But games won't enumerate those resolutions. I'm hoping you have made a similar error in the ddraw replacement itself?

Reply 310 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, the same type of buggy code in the dll... (+the bug with the classic resolutions). I'm going to fix that all in the next version.

Teleguy, thanks for your report!
X-Wing Alliance is a DirectX 3 game which is going to be supported only in the next version.
Also, I've already found and fixed bugs without 3D acceleration so the game will be supposed to work properly with and without 3D acc.

Reply 315 of 3949, by arablizzard2413

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"SMAA T2x, S2x and 4x can handle subpixel features, but these are not available in the injector" - CeeJayDK (SweetFX author)

"SMAA allows multiple levels of quality when programmed directly into the game engine. Unfortunately RadeonPro can only use SMAA 1x quality" - RadeonPro website

Reply 316 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dege, another one to look at is Test Drive 6. There's 2 key issues (apart from the music, which I have a "kind of" fix for here Test Drive 6 - No music), as follows:

1. Running windowed mode = smooth frame rate, running fullscreen = jerky. This is the same bug that can be corrected with Jack Fauste's fixes here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php? … 77&post=1202630, however using his method means many triangles of scenery go transparent (though the frame rate is fine). So maybe your wrapper might help? Currently I can't get your wrapper to do anything though (might be my PC, will investigate more when I get to Extreme-G2, which should work, according to another thread).

2. The video options don't generate the right resolutions. I can only see 0.0.0 BIT or 80.0.0 BIT (sometimes a different first number), both of which render at 640x480 only.

Last edited by VirtuaIceMan on 2015-01-12, 13:21. Edited 2 times in total.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 317 of 3949, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
arablizzard2413 wrote:

"SMAA T2x, S2x and 4x can handle subpixel features, but these are not available in the injector" - CeeJayDK (SweetFX author)

"SMAA allows multiple levels of quality when programmed directly into the game engine. Unfortunately RadeonPro can only use SMAA 1x quality" - RadeonPro website

For old games it would be better to use MSAA or SSAA.

Reply 318 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any chance for including SMAA shaders? http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/

So as it turned out, it cannot be solved through an external postprocessor, but I would suggest right that...
For the time being, I don't want to put effort on shaders built in dgVoodoo because there are a lot of others to do. 😐

1. Running windowed mode = smooth frame rate, running fullscreen = jerky. This is the same bug that can be corrected with Jack Fauste's fixes here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/pos ... st=1202630, however using his method means many triangles of scenery go transparent (though the frame rate is fine). So maybe your wrapper might help? Currently I can't get your wrapper to do anything though (might be my PC, will investigate more when I get to Extreme-G2, which should work, according to another thread).

Jerky fullscreen is a Win8 only issue?
I just tried a certain version of TD6 but I get corrupted textures in any mode (only the environment, cars are ok), so I'm going to check what is going on.
Frame rate is just fine in fullscreen for me.

2. The video options don't generate the right resolutions. I can only see 0.0.0 BIT or 80.0.0 BIT (sometimes a different first number), both of which render at 640x480 only.

I hope this (and jerky frame rate) is because the bug in the mentioned display mode enumerator as it works fine me too.
Do you have the same bug with dgVoodooSetup as ZellSF and Silanda?

BTW, does somebody know if there were a patch for Hellbender ever released? I get this through the emulation (and also with native support):

HELLBNDX.png

The problem is that the background doesn't get cleared because the game feeds DX with wrong polygon data that could cause problems even on old hardware and I don't know how to workaround it. I guess this 'style' worked safely on ancient hardwares.

Reply 319 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never got your DX renderer working so far, so will report back soon. Am I right in thinking you just put the 2 dll files from the MS folder into the game folder?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor