VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 520 of 3949, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tgomola wrote:
ShakirBB wrote:

WineD3D 1.6rc4 works, although cars are missing in the car selection menu and that un-dithered 16-bit colour looks dreadful. All I could see when my car started spewing black smoke was a big black blob on my screen.

That's weird, I don't have any of these problems... Maybe try an older version of Wine? Anyway, I'm glad I could help 😀

Or a newer version, 1.6rc4 dates from June 28th, 2013.
Builds up to 1.7.28 you can find here for D3D8 and D3D9:
http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/ … ows-directx-81/
http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/ … dows-directx-9/

Meanwhile this guy has been building cross-compiles from Linux to Windows and is up to current, 1.7.37 (and is building everything, not just the single DLLs PCGamingWiki is hosting):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wined3d4win/

Anyhow this is off-topic to Dege's thread...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 524 of 3949, by ShakirBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

So now I don't know what to say, because you still have rendering problems even with WineD3D. Either we are using different version of executables, or something with your system, or don't know.

I understand, and agree that something about the software and hardware I am using is different. I'll settle with the best I can get for now.

Reply 525 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just an FYI, if you can get Viper Racing working (see here: Viper Racing vs modern graphics card!) then using dgVoodoo (Direct3D part) will cure the see through graphics elements!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 526 of 3949, by Darklord42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Strange, dgvoodoo2 version 2.42 and earlier that I tested, will work fine for XvT from GoG, but not BoP. upon launching a mission in hardware mode it loads the mission for a split second you see the cockpit and then quits out. This is with Windows 8 and and ati 6800 Graphics card

Reply 527 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Has anyone tried Dungeon Keeper 2? I tried getting it to play nice with dgVoodoo2, but it had all sorts of other problems running on Windows 8.1.

The GoG release works on Windows 8.1, but that uses its own wrapper that isn't cooperating with dgVoodoo2 (no big surprise there, stacking wrappers rarely works well).

Reply 528 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Blood II - The Chosen crashes on ALT-TAB and going into the video menu in game turns the game into windowed mode. Windows 8.1

LitTech engine based games sometimes crash on alt-tab for me too. They also does with native DX, and every time I checked the crash point they were always in some video codec or sound library.

Just an FYI, if you can get Viper Racing working (see here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41693) then using dgVoodoo (Direct3D part) will cure the see through graphics elements!

Yes, Viper Racing is supposed to work properly with dgVoodoo.

Strange, dgvoodoo2 version 2.42 and earlier that I tested, will work fine for XvT from GoG, but not BoP.

Teleguy also reported that. I will install BoP to see what happens there.

Has anyone tried Dungeon Keeper 2? I tried getting it to play nice with dgVoodoo2, but it had all sorts of other problems running on Windows 8.1.

It won't work with 2.42. I found and fixed some problems/bugs in the wrapper so now it works perfectly (for me on Win7).

Reply 531 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I decided to share the work-in-progress version of the D3D wrapper once in a while because it seems that my fixes does not always work for others.
So, it may be better to test during developing than waiting for a new version.

Here is the current state:
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP2.zip

I've refactored some surface handling code so it uses videomemory more optimally under certain circumstances.
This refactoring is a little dangerous. I tested it with a lot of applications but didn't seem something was broken.

This version fixes (should fix) Colin McRae Rally, Dungeon Keeper 2 and Interstate 82.
Well, I've got a problem with IS 82:

- It always crashes in AcLayers.dll when I try to enter a game. If I help it through that point then it says that "unable to calibrate joystick" or sg like that, independently on vJoy is enabled or disabled. Other than that the game works OK. I'm not sure if this problem comes only to me or it is a general problem which can be solved by some ACT fix.
- Before running the game, check the following line in config.def: Display_Device_Index
If it's set to -1 then detecting the 3D hw failed at the last run (like with dgv 2.42), make sure to change it to 0. Then the wrapper device and resolutions should be seen in the game options menu.

Grand Prix 3 still does not work. I detected buffer overwrite bugs in the game that's why it crashes. I put much larger surface guarding area in the WIP version so it should survive the crash but the ingame rendering is wrong. It's going to be fixed later, does not seems easy.

Also, last time I forgot that I patched my WarGods exe to fix black screen of its hw acceleration, if somebody interested.
Unfortunately it does not work with native DX for some reason, it always crashes with that. I tried several versions of patching but nothing worked.
However it should work with dgVoodoo (2.42 and up), but I must admit, I only tested the fight scenes in demo mode.
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/wargods.zip

Any fix for the video settings though?

Does the game always crash for you at Alt-Tab?
Video settings should be fine with Blood2, AFAIK.

Reply 533 of 3949, by Zeddicus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the first version that works with Blood2 demo for me. But there is no music tho...
Anyways thank you, and awesome work! 😊

edit: leileilol, thanks, but that doesn't work for me. But is was awesome to see blood2 in full hd resolution with good fps. 😎

Last edited by Zeddicus on 2015-02-28, 19:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 535 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't anything be done about the aspect ratio settings? Selecting "Unspecified" doesn't seem to do anything on AMD though someone got it to work on Nvidia after some tinkering.
http://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_dark_force … _solved_sort_of

By accident I noticed that the xwaupgrade DirectX 11 wrapper is able to apply the correct aspect ratio as specified in Catalyst Control Center. The sourcecode is available for download, maybe you can find a solution there?

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/download/files/xwa_ … w_d3d11.1.3.zip
https://github.com/JeremyAnsel/xwa_ddraw_d3d11

Reply 537 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does BoP crash comes with GoG version of the executable?

I've just tried it with the original version with 2.42 and it just works fine.
I enter a mission, getting instructions like 'don't touch anything until told to', etc, but nothing happens, the game is running. I can switch views, etc.

All I did was I installed the original BoP version into XwingTie\BalanceOfPower folder and modified 'use_3d_hardware' to 1 in config2.cfg.
And then, launching z_xvt__.exe (from BoP folder of course) switches to 3d accelerated mode when entering a mission (ok, 'quick fly').

Reply 538 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote:

Every time I alt-tab it crashes, and going into the video menu in game, it goes into Windowed mode.

Hmm...
Are both of the following options on DirectX page enabled?

- Application controlled fullscreen/windowed state
- Disable Alt-Enter to toggle screen state

I encountered a few games that are sensitive of those settings and can crash if one of them is disabled.
(Like the video decoder in Tomb Raider 4/5 which does not like at all if the game window gets repositioned or modified to have a frame.)

Reply 539 of 3949, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
Hmm... Are both of the following options on DirectX page enabled? […]
Show full quote
MrEWhite wrote:

Every time I alt-tab it crashes, and going into the video menu in game, it goes into Windowed mode.

Hmm...
Are both of the following options on DirectX page enabled?

- Application controlled fullscreen/windowed state
- Disable Alt-Enter to toggle screen state

I encountered a few games that are sensitive of those settings and can crash if one of them is disabled.
(Like the video decoder in Tomb Raider 4/5 which does not like at all if the game window gets repositioned or modified to have a frame.)

I think I had them disabled (I don't have a motherboard at the moment). I'll try them.