VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1240 of 3949, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate to ask out of topic but how do you not link to VisualStudio's common runtime? Why does that set off AV's in the first place?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1242 of 3949, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 8.1; Radeon HD 5770 (Catalyst 15.8 aka Crimson Edition Beta); WIP 11
Sacred: Gold Edition - works
Homeworld & Homeworld: Cataclysm - work
Bejeweld 1 & 2 - work
Bejeweled 3 & Twist - work except 3D hardware acceleration
Requiem (D3D v1.3) - still doesn't use dgVoodoo past menu
Deus Ex: IW - black screen/crash at startup with or without dgVoodoo
Fallout Tactics - fatal error "Could not create display buffers" at startup
Ultim@te Race Pro - DirectX error at startup
StarCraft - screen tearing in videos. Force vSync helps, but it makes the game very slow

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 1244 of 3949, by Tycoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Dege just wanted to say thanks for dgVooDoo, it mostly fixed the rogue squadron camera bug and I was able to get superbike 2001 to finally launch, I've used dgVooDoo on quite a few other games too. One question, although everything seems to work perfectly in superbike, I have to keep the resolution around 800x600 otherwise the game has some slow down, I tried enabling fast video memory access but it crashes the game. Anyways thanks again. 😀

Btw has anyone tried this with grim fandango?

Reply 1246 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rod Primitive wrote:

Hey Dege, would it be possible to rebuild your Blood 2 patch to work on Shogo and other games using the same engine as well? Like, making it global instead of just being bound to one game?

Uh... Blood 2 is the only LithTech engine game I've tested that has that problem.

Shogo definitely does not and there is no need for a patch.

Reply 1247 of 3949, by galneon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

D3DCompiler_43.DLL is part of DirectX End-User Runtime: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/179113

Some time ago I believe EULA prohibited redistribution of DX End-User Runtime DLLs with applications.
The end-user runtime is usually installed with games, so many users already have it...perhaps it would be best to link to it, instead of copying files manually to system32?

The link on that page to the Direct X End-User Runtime Web Installer redirects to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 😒

Reply 1249 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

The Longest Journey seems to suffer from a minor regression: in the main menu if you mouse over elements there will be some corruption when the cursor changes.

Could you send a screenshot plz? I tried it quickly yesterday but didn't notice any corruption.

Uh, sorry, my bad. I can't reproduce. Happened like three times when I tested with wip11 and I tried three times without it and there was a difference... Now there isn't.

Commandos 3 crashes after company intro FMVs. Works natively (but flickers, perfect in DxWnd if anyone wants to play it).

Edit: if you rush through the intro FMV it will render the menu screen (but still crash pretty instantly).

Reply 1250 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I fixed the shadow in Pandora Tomorrow.
When I realized that very pixelated shadow is just a fallback-rendering path in the game, I decided to add depth texture support after all.

Looking a little bit into its history it turned out (I'm a newborn) that depth textures are supported by nVidia since GeForce 2 (or 3?) and its usage was specialized to shadow mapping (unlike nowdays) so sampling such a texture implicitly happened in a different way than that of normal textures in DX8/9 (nVidia Shadow Hack).
(It reminds me to the feature of point sprites of DX8/9, it was a "special" feature that later became "generalized" in the form of geometry shaders.)
If I got it right, ATI started to support only its generalized counterpart in their DX10+ class hardware.

All in all, I implemented the old nVidia method in dgVoodoo, and, since it's only for shadows, I felt free to add some extra filtering into it.
As a result it looks better than the original. 😁

sp2shadow1.jpg
sp2shadow2.jpg
sp2shadow3.jpg

SC1 with ForceShadowMode=1 crashed because of lack of the depth texture support. Now it's ok however I cannot get any shadow with this mode
neither natively (nVidia) nor through dgVoodoo. Did it worked back in its time? 😊

As for performace, my tip is it's because dgVoodoo has a certain shortcoming in DX8. It shares a lot of base code with DX<=7 and sg that was enough for DX7 proves to be unsufficient for DX8. I don't want to fill that gap for now in spite of that because it would mean extra DX8 developing.

Reply 1252 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

SC1 with ForceShadowMode=1 crashed because of lack of the depth texture support. Now it's ok however I cannot get any shadow with this mode
neither natively (nVidia) nor through dgVoodoo. Did it worked back in its time? 😊

It works today too, only partially.

You can play (with ForceShadowMode=1) the tutorial mission and look for the spinning fan with the light source behind.

Reply 1254 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

MAN YOU ARE AWESOME.

Waiting for testing now!

OK, I can share the new D3D version altough not all bugs are fixed yet.
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP11.3.zip

One question, although everything seems to work perfectly in superbike, I have to keep the resolution around 800x600 otherwise the game has some slow down, I tried enabling fast video memory access but it crashes the game. Anyways thanks again.

Seems to me it's the videomemory-readback problem. I haven't checked it yet but if fast vidmem enabled crashes the game then it's a bad omen.
I want to improve it but if it's useless with that game then I'm afraid it can't be fixed.

DracoNihil wrote:

I hate to ask out of topic but how do you not link to VisualStudio's common runtime? Why does that set off AV's in the first place?

I keep default libraries disabled for the relese build and link to my own (well, it's not my own, I downloaded a mini-crt made by Chris Benshoof and changed/extended it to my demands).
Doing this is a good practice for viruses to keep their size small so I think that's why some AVs treat such executables like dangerous ones without any further questions.

Reply 1256 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
Thief DS: http://s16.postimg.org/8ewfgzu29/T3_Main_2015_11_30_13_35_29_703.png […]
Show full quote

Thief DS:
T3_Main_2015_11_30_13_35_29_703.png

Deus Ex IW:
DX2_Main_2015_11_30_14_46_34_095.png

Thief DS goes ingame if you didn't notice:

T3Main_2015_11_30_17_05_22_296.gif
Filename
T3Main_2015_11_30_17_05_22_296.gif
File size
123.73 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Sort of annoying to get to though: the mouse cursor is invisible in menus.