VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 1581 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

If so, stay strict to D3D11!

It's really unworthy.

Did some quick exploration, and it turned out that

- texture mipmapping in Glide, and in some cases in DX too, would gone with 10.0.
- also, I'd have to disable one of the fixed function vertex features for DX8, e.g. vertex tweening (but it's not a real problem, didn't encountered anything using that, so far).

But I'm still not sure if I'm using some texture formats guaranteed only in 10.1, or sg, it should be checked through the debug layer.

teleguy wrote:
The Hud appears for a second the moment you get control of your character and then it's gone. Sporadically it reappears for a fr […]
Show full quote

The Hud appears for a second the moment you get control of your character and then it's gone.
Sporadically it reappears for a fraction of a second. I tried several times to capture a video but when I played back the files they were always corrupted from the point onwards right before the Hud shows up for the first time.

I also noticed the 3Dfx watermark doesn't show even though it's enabled.

Maybe still some AMD bugginess?

It's strange because I'm still running on the HD7850 on my home computer, the screenshot I posted was taken on that.
Though I installed the driver that came with its CD (from 2012, if I remember right).

Rod Primitive wrote:

I forgot, where should the content of D3DCompiler_43.zip go again?

Either into the game folder, next to the wrapper dlls, or into Windows\SysWOW64 on a 64bit Windows.
But, if you already have it in Windows\SysWOW64 then nothing should be done, it's already there.

ZellSF wrote:

On the subject of Requiem, last time I tested it keyboard controls were unresponsive. Are you not experiencing that?

No, I could play the game through the keyboard.

Last edited by Dege on 2016-02-20, 11:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1582 of 3949, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Dege wrote:
Rod Primitive wrote:

I forgot, where should the content of D3DCompiler_43.zip go again?

Either into the game folder, next to the wrapper dlls, or into Windows\SysWOW64 on a 64bit Windows.
But, if you already have it in Windows\SysWOW64 then nothing should be done, it's already there.

I recently did a complete reinstall of the OS so I fear the file isn't there. 😀 But now I know where to put it!
Also, does it matter where I put it? I mean, you said two paths and which one is the best?

Reply 1585 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

On the subject of Requiem, last time I tested it keyboard controls were unresponsive. Are you not experiencing that?

I don't get that but the menu is laggy with dgVoodoo. Jedi Knight has the same problem in fullscreen mode.

Last edited by teleguy on 2016-02-20, 19:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1586 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:
teleguy wrote:

Requiem doesn't show the HUD in 3Dfx mode.

AMD videocard with Catalyst?
Well, with nGlide you must enable "Catalyst AI" to see the HUD correctly. Maybe this will help with dgvoodoo2 too.

I haven't seen the Catalyst AI setting in the controlpanel for ages. Are you using old drivers?

nGlide works fine for me though.

Reply 1587 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
teleguy wrote:

Also when you run the game in EmulationOnly mode and go back from ingame to the menu dgVoodoo only shows a black screen.

Thanks, will check that. EmulationOnly is the sw renderer?

I meant when you apply the Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation compatibility fix to 3Dfx.exe and use dgVoodoo 2 as Glide wrapper.
download/file.php?id=20801

That fix is the only way I can get 3Dfx.exe to launch on my AMD system without using ddraw wrappers which cause other problems. nGlide works pretty well this way.

Reply 1589 of 3949, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think someone previously mentioned but Diablo 1 still doesn't work with dgVoodoo2 (it plays the intro then seems to minimise itself and won't maximise again no matter what you do).

It does work natively, but nice to have dgVoodoo support for overlays and whatnot.

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 1592 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mudlord wrote:

For some reason, for Bejeweled Twist, 3D acceleration is not able to be enabled in the ingame options. Thus, high resolutions and 3D screen transitions are unable to be used.

Isn't accelerated mode driven by D3D9? Or I may mess that with Bejeweled 3.

BuckoA51 wrote:

I think someone previously mentioned but Diablo 1 still doesn't work with dgVoodoo2 (it plays the intro then seems to minimise itself and won't maximise again no matter what you do).

It does work natively, but nice to have dgVoodoo support for overlays and whatnot.

OK, it's on the list now. 😀

Firtasik wrote:

Dege, maybe you can use this wrapper https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat to improve dgVoodoo. It fixes some issues like the sluggish menu in Psycho Circus and other stuff.

Thanks, but hooking and modifying an existing thing is a different approach than reimplementing the whole.

BTW, I finished the mouse handling for aspect-ratio-scaling. I'd like to release a new version from the current state. I know, still there are known issues, as always, but I think a lot of fixings have accumulated worthing a new version, also, I don't have much time these days,...

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP17.zip

See the readme inside, but briefly: this emulated scaling detects and uses the desktop resolution (DXGI...) and unfortunately can cause unexpected issues because the display environment is not the same games may expect. Also, there is no support for hw cursors in DX/DX8 in this mode, emulating a cursor in sw is taking place instead (I hardly believe Glide supported hw cursors).

This version won't read the config files of the previous WIP, you have to reconfigure the affected stuffs, sorry.

Reply 1593 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have some problems with Metal Gear Solid (Integral), if i set the dgVoodoo adapter in graphic options the water looks corrupted (some kind of weird dithering noise effect), menus are overlaped and the performance is bad in general, setting the maximum resolution.

This port could be the weirdest PS to PC port ever since it is an emulator of PS (at least the GTE part).

Reply 1594 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
BTW, I finished the mouse handling for aspect-ratio-scaling. I'd like to release a new version from the current state. I know, s […]
Show full quote

BTW, I finished the mouse handling for aspect-ratio-scaling. I'd like to release a new version from the current state. I know, still there are known issues, as always, but I think a lot of fixings have accumulated worthing a new version, also, I don't have much time these days,...

See the readme inside, but briefly: this emulated scaling detects and uses the desktop resolution (DXGI...) and unfortunately can cause unexpected issues because the display environment is not the same games may expect. Also, there is no support for hw cursors in DX/DX8 in this mode, emulating a cursor in sw is taking place instead (I hardly believe Glide supported hw cursors).

This version won't read the config files of the previous WIP, you have to reconfigure the affected stuffs, sorry.

Looking great!

However there is a problem with the Steam overlay:

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside%7C1024:639&composite-to=*,*%7C1024:639&background-color=black

Reply 1595 of 3949, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
teleguy wrote:
Looking great! […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote:
BTW, I finished the mouse handling for aspect-ratio-scaling. I'd like to release a new version from the current state. I know, s […]
Show full quote

Looking great!

However there is a problem with the Steam overlay:

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside%7C1024:639&composite-to=*,*%7C1024:639&background-color=black

Any game that uses scaling by software has that issue with steam overlay.

Reply 1597 of 3949, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
teleguy wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

It doesn't happen happen with this wrapper and "Preserve Aspect Ratio" enabled.
https://github.com/rdoeffinger/xwa_ddraw_d3d11/releases

Well, it also happens with DOSBox and OpenGL output in Steam

Reply 1598 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stranno wrote:

I have some problems with Metal Gear Solid (Integral), if i set the dgVoodoo adapter in graphic options the water looks corrupted (some kind of weird dithering noise effect), menus are overlaped and the performance is bad in general, setting the maximum resolution.

This port could be the weirdest PS to PC port ever since it is an emulator of PS (at least the GTE part).

Is there a demo of this game?
I'm not familiar with Metal Gear but it seems it's not the same as I have as Metal Gear Solid (It has only sw and D3D support).

teleguy wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

It doesn't happen happen with this wrapper and "Preserve Aspect Ratio" enabled.
https://github.com/rdoeffinger/xwa_ddraw_d3d11/releases

I'll have a look into it what's going on... 😁

@Lowenz

Could you attach a savegame plz where the texture corruption is present in Splinter Cell?

Reply 1599 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:

I'll have a look into it what's going on...

I think I see what the difference is between dgVoodoo and xwa_ddraw.

Xwa sets the display mode (allocates a swapchain) without specifing x/y resolution and the scaling mode. So, it gets a backbuffer with a whatever (desktop) size and then renders into its center later (I suppose), so swapchain == backbuffer.

Steam overlay probably monitors the swapchain size games using, so no problem with Xwa, it's the same size as the output.

While in dgVoodoo, back buffers always have the same size as the application specified and rendering into the swapchain can even have more steps (because of postprocessing, watermark, cursor emu), so swapchain != backbuffer, I think that's what misleads Steam Overlay.