VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2040 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

Is it normal/expected, using a forced resolution, that a 2D HUD seems (is?) nearest-point filtered?

It depends...
If the game draws HUD "manually", by locking the backbuffer then it should appear bilinear filtered.
If it draws it as 2D textures (the better way) then probably point-filtering is used for exact texel-pixel matching, so it becomes point filtered when stretched.
Forcing bilinear filtering helps but it may causes artifacts elsewhere. 😖

Reply 2041 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not comments on resolution forcing, but general compatibility:

Baldur's Gate (GoG): Crashes
Mega Man X3: Works
Mega Man X4: Major graphical glitches
Mega Man X5: Crashes
Mega Man X6: Works
Mega Man X7: Works (resolution forcing does not)
Mega Man X8: Major graphical glitches. Some sort of depth issue? Black in front of everything
Shadow Watch: Text rendering still broken

Reply 2042 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
It depends... If the game draws HUD "manually", by locking the backbuffer then it should appear bilinear filtered. If it draws i […]
Show full quote
lowenz wrote:

Is it normal/expected, using a forced resolution, that a 2D HUD seems (is?) nearest-point filtered?

It depends...
If the game draws HUD "manually", by locking the backbuffer then it should appear bilinear filtered.
If it draws it as 2D textures (the better way) then probably point-filtering is used for exact texel-pixel matching, so it becomes point filtered when stretched.

At least, thanks to you, now we got a choice (resolution forcing OR normal upscaling, all in one tool).

Reply 2044 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Star Wars - Episode 1 Racer: Resolution forcing works so you can run the game in high res without the game's FMVs being really tiny. However it still has minor but annoying z-fighting issues.

Command & Conquer - Renegade: Another game which doesn't scale the HUD by itself which you can get a readable HUD by using dgVoodoo2.

Atlantis - Trial by Fire: Oooh, another LithTech game. Forcing resolution for the HUD is not necessary here since it's scaled properly, but at high res you would have tiny menus and tiny FMVs without dgVooodoo2.

Lego Rock Raiders: Resolution forcing works, though the benefits are a bit dubious. 3D looks better, but the nearest 2D scaling isn't ideal for this game. Also it doesn't constrain the mouse to the screen (so if you move the mouse far right, you have to move it far left to get it back into the screen).

Reply 2045 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
willow wrote:
Dege wrote:

Fixed, thanks!

Have you a link with this version of dgvoodoo to try myself?

Yes, now I have. I can share a new WIP.
I fixed some mouse cursor problems, was forced to partly refactore certain codes in order to have 8 bit paletted stuffs working properly with resolution forcing, and added the forced 4:3 Aspect Ratio with CRT-like appearance as a new scaling mode.
Some other minor things were fixed (fog problem in Lost Idols, DDraw cooperative mode for Dethkarz).

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP22.zip

dx8gamer wrote:

Thanks for your reply. GTA-VC is a DX8 game. It worked with old version of dgVoodoo2, but crashes with latest WIP21.

Hmm, where does it crash for you? I've just installed and quick-tried it by starting a new game but it works for me.

ZellSF wrote:
Not comments on resolution forcing, but general compatibility: […]
Show full quote

Not comments on resolution forcing, but general compatibility:

Baldur's Gate (GoG): Crashes
Mega Man X3: Works
Mega Man X4: Major graphical glitches
Mega Man X5: Crashes
Mega Man X6: Works
Mega Man X7: Works (resolution forcing does not)
Mega Man X8: Major graphical glitches. Some sort of depth issue? Black in front of everything
Shadow Watch: Text rendering still broken

I tried X5 and X8 just for curiosity and neither of them had a problem.
X5 worked without crash, and X8 seems to look perfectly (quick try by new game).
On my GTS450 X8 indeed had major glitches, there were no textures in-game but on that computer I use a semi-crap driver which produces other issues. On the AMD HD7850 and GF GT 610 it's ok.

Reply 2046 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
Dege wrote:
It depends... If the game draws HUD "manually", by locking the backbuffer then it should appear bilinear filtered. If it draws i […]
Show full quote
lowenz wrote:

It depends...

At least, thanks to you, now we got a choice (resolution forcing OR normal upscaling, all in one tool).

BTW, another way a game can render its HUD came into my mind: by 2D blitting (memory copy by hw). It's performed point sampled by default through dgVoodoo, but you can force it to bilinear by 'Bilinear blit stretch'.

Reply 2047 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:
Yes, now I have. I can share a new WIP. I fixed some mouse cursor problems, was forced to partly refactore certain codes in orde […]
Show full quote
willow wrote:
Dege wrote:

Fixed, thanks!

I fixed some mouse cursor problems, was forced to partly refactore certain codes in order to have 8 bit paletted stuffs working properly with resolution forcing, and added the forced 4:3 Aspect Ratio with CRT-like appearance as a new scaling mode.
Some other minor things were fixed (fog problem in Lost Idols, DDraw cooperative mode for Dethkarz).

I know you hate options, but shouldn't a full CRT shader by optional? There are some people who like scanlines and other that don't.

Dege wrote:

I tried X5 and X8 just for curiosity and neither of them had a problem.
X5 worked without crash, and X8 seems to look perfectly (quick try by new game).
On my GTS450 X8 indeed had major glitches, there were no textures in-game but on that computer I use a semi-crap driver which produces other issues. On the AMD HD7850 and GF GT 610 it's ok.

Very weird. This computer has a GTX 580 so shouldn't have driver issues. Both those games worked natively here just not with dgVoodoo2. I'll try another computer.

Reply 2048 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote:

Commandos 3 + FL 10.0 + MSAA -> black screen (black intro videos, black menu, etc.)
Commandos 3 + FL 10.1 + MSAA -> OK

MSAA is really NOT important in Commandos series (most of the assets are 2D art), but I think the bug itself deserves attention.

Up, still black screen (intro videos too) with FL 10.0+ MSAA.

And Commandos 3 (without MSAA) has some rendering errors.
Take a look to the roof @left! More precisely, the problem is in the "3D areas" (see the light spots, the other map zones are 2D)

commandos3_2016_05_15_23_25_15_953.png

Last edited by lowenz on 2016-05-15, 21:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2049 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

BTW, another way a game can render its HUD came into my mind: by 2D blitting (memory copy by hw). It's performed point sampled by default through dgVoodoo, but you can force it to bilinear by 'Bilinear blit stretch'.

I'll test that option with Mech3 but tip says "DirectDraw only", so no chance for D3D8 games HUD (like Commandos 3 one).

Reply 2050 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote:
Dege wrote:

I'll test that option with Mech3 but tip says "DirectDraw only", so no chance for D3D8 games HUD (like Commandos 3 one).

Update: IT'S WORKING! (DDraw) 😁 Click to see the screenshot @original resolution:

Blitting-Disabled Menu:
Mech3_2016_05_15_21_55_03_511.png

Blitting-Enabled Menu:
Mech3_2016_05_15_21_55_38_053.png

Reply 2051 of 3949, by Snake_Eye

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Arklay wrote:

Toy Story 2
Without dgvoodoo I got this message "Soft Abort D:\projects\toy\direct6.cpp Line 103" Unable to enumerate a suitable device". This path doesn't exist, with dgvoodoo near perfect, the game is stuck at 36 fps and it's impossible to do some particular jumps.

Hi, I know this is really after the fact, and it seems to be no longer relevant in this thread, but I am new here and I have gotten pretty desperate. I have tried everything under the sun for Toy Story 2, and still, I get the same "Unable to enumerate a suitable device." I have ran in compatibility on for every version of Windows (I am on Windows 10), I have set my system memory to 1024 MB, I have even gone as far to create a Virtual Machine running Windows XP, but still this same error. I saw this comment saying that this software worked for Toy Story 2 Action Game, so I immediately went for it, installing it first on my Windows 10 drive, and then again on the Windows XP drive, and still, the same error. If anyone can help me with this, it would be much appreciated, possibly a certain configuration that I am not doing correctly. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The quote I am referring to is on page 35.

Reply 2052 of 3949, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
- Adding Microsoft WARP software renderer as an output API - MSAA support is added to DX8 - Resolution overriding for DX emulati […]
Show full quote

- Adding Microsoft WARP software renderer as an output API
- MSAA support is added to DX8
- Resolution overriding for DX emulation is added
It can cause heavy glitches, especially for old 8-bit DDraw apps and software drawn
mouse cursors in some games. As always, select the resolution within the application
when you can!!

Where can ovveride the resolution? I don't find the option.

Reply 2053 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
willow wrote:
Dege wrote:
- Adding Microsoft WARP software renderer as an output API - MSAA support is added to DX8 - Resolution overriding for DX emulati […]
Show full quote

- Adding Microsoft WARP software renderer as an output API
- MSAA support is added to DX8
- Resolution overriding for DX emulation is added
It can cause heavy glitches, especially for old 8-bit DDraw apps and software drawn
mouse cursors in some games. As always, select the resolution within the application
when you can!!

Where can ovveride the resolution? I don't find the option.

image.jpg

You can have custom resolutions too (declared throught Catalyst/ForceWare control panel), see my "1440x1080" (4:3 for 1080p)

Reply 2054 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:

I know you hate options, but shouldn't a full CRT shader by optional? There are some people who like scanlines and other that don't.

Ok, I'll create scaling methods 'Forced 4:3' with and without CRT-like appearance.

Snake_Eye wrote:
Arklay wrote:

Toy Story 2
Without dgvoodoo I got this message "Soft Abort D:\projects\toy\direct6.cpp Line 103" Unable to enumerate a suitable device". This path doesn't exist, with dgvoodoo near perfect, the game is stuck at 36 fps and it's impossible to do some particular jumps.

Hi, I know this is really after the fact, and it seems to be no longer relevant in this thread, but I am new here and I have gotten pretty desperate. I have tried everything under the sun for Toy Story 2, and still, I get the same "Unable to enumerate a suitable device." I have ran in compatibility on for every version of Windows (I am on Windows 10), I have set my system memory to 1024 MB, I have even gone as far to create a Virtual Machine running Windows XP, but still this same error. I saw this comment saying that this software worked for Toy Story 2 Action Game, so I immediately went for it, installing it first on my Windows 10 drive, and then again on the Windows XP drive, and still, the same error. If anyone can help me with this, it would be much appreciated, possibly a certain configuration that I am not doing correctly. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The quote I am referring to is on page 35.

I quickly installed this game, and natively it indeed gave that error message.
However copying DDraw.dll and D3DImm.dll to its folder was enough. I didn't even need setting compatibility mode (I'm on Win7), it worked:

Toy20.jpg
Toy21.jpg

I'm not sure if the game has anything issues on Win10 other than the graphics but what happens if you do a clean game reinstall and copy dgVoodoo files into its folder? Getting that error message implies that the game works with native DX for some reason.

Reply 2056 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:
Yes, now I have. I can share a new WIP. I fixed some mouse cursor problems, was forced to partly refactore certain codes in orde […]
Show full quote
willow wrote:
Dege wrote:

Fixed, thanks!

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP22.zip

I think you broke The Longest Journey. 3D rendering looks fine on WIP21, broken on WIP22.

Reply 2058 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

Dege, did you ever measure the influence over performance of "Fast Video Memory Access" option?

No. It has no general influence on performance. For most games it's all for the same, some works better with it on.
It depends on the game, if it renders everything by the GPU then 'fastvidmem' doesn't play any role. It's for cases when
HUD is drawn by the CPU or for dynamic textures.

ZellSF wrote:

I think you broke The Longest Journey. 3D rendering looks fine on WIP21, broken on WIP22.

Indeed. It works fine with the ATI preset though, so it must be something in the refactored 8 bit world (paletted textures).

lowenz wrote:

Report: now Aquanox is working!

But no FSAA available! is it normal? (FL 10.0 and 10.1)

Hasn't been it working so far? 😀
Anyway, if you set MSAA to 'Auto' in the setup then you should see FSAA support (I tried it, works).
If you set it to any other value then the game will see no FSAA.