VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2060 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

Hasn't been it working so far? 😀
Anyway, if you set MSAA to 'Auto' in the setup then you should see FSAA support (I tried it, works).
If you set it to any other value then the game will see no FSAA.

This is the Steam version (1.18+1.21) !

Reply 2062 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:
Dege wrote:

Hasn't been it working so far? 😀
Anyway, if you set MSAA to 'Auto' in the setup then you should see FSAA support (I tried it, works).
If you set it to any other value then the game will see no FSAA.

This is the Steam version (1.18+1.21) !

Works fine for me with the Steam version.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedet … s/?id=685874797

Reply 2065 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
De-M-oN wrote:

Vsync combined with no triple buffer? no good that.

PS: NFS 4 works with nGlide at 2560x1600 @ 8x MSAA with butter smooth 60fps all the time and even on full grid weather race.
So for some reason the problem relies in dgvoodoo.

Ok, obviously, but plz try NFS4 with the DX7 renderer to see if the performance problem occurs or not.
I'd need to know if it's a Glide only issue or a more general one.

lowenz wrote:

Never seen "Auto" option,

It was added in WIP21 along with MSAA support in DX8. 😀

Yes, SC PT works for me too. (Don't use FL10.0 with forced antialiasing, that won't work: no lights and shadows).

Reply 2067 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote:

New Commandos 2 (Steam version) is working great with dgVoodoo2.....but I can't understand which D3D version it uses by default: RTSS can't show it 😐 (if I put your DLLs in the folder RTSS shows correctly D3D11).

.....but resolution forcing causes a crash (CTD) after the intro videos, in the start menu.

Reply 2068 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
lowenz wrote:

New Commandos 2 (Steam version) is working great with dgVoodoo2.....but I can't understand which D3D version it uses by default: RTSS can't show it 😐 (if I put your DLLs in the folder RTSS shows correctly D3D11).

.....but resolution forcing causes a crash (CTD) after the intro videos, in the start menu.

Over time those res-force bugs will get fixed, I hope. 😀
I don't want to put a lot of effort into it till the next version.

(But, resolution forcing cannot be a guaranteed feature, unfortunately. Some games seem to be very sensitive to the environment, their window size for example.)

Last edited by Dege on 2016-05-16, 20:30. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2069 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Ok, obviously, but plz try NFS4 with the DX7 renderer to see if the performance problem occurs or not. I'd need to know if it's […]
Show full quote
De-M-oN wrote:

Vsync combined with no triple buffer? no good that.

PS: NFS 4 works with nGlide at 2560x1600 @ 8x MSAA with butter smooth 60fps all the time and even on full grid weather race.
So for some reason the problem relies in dgvoodoo.

Ok, obviously, but plz try NFS4 with the DX7 renderer to see if the performance problem occurs or not.
I'd need to know if it's a Glide only issue or a more general one.

lowenz wrote:

Never seen "Auto" option,

It was added in WIP21 along with MSAA support in DX8. 😀

Yes, SC PT works for me too. (Don't use FL10.0 with forced antialiasing, that won't work: no lights and shadows).

Dont know what happened. I deleted all and re added dgvoodoo and looks ok now.

Reply 2070 of 3949, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:
https://s32.postimg.org/c18op7x2d/image.jpg […]
Show full quote
willow wrote:
Dege wrote:
- Adding Microsoft WARP software renderer as an output API - MSAA support is added to DX8 - Resolution overriding for DX emulati […]
Show full quote

- Adding Microsoft WARP software renderer as an output API
- MSAA support is added to DX8
- Resolution overriding for DX emulation is added
It can cause heavy glitches, especially for old 8-bit DDraw apps and software drawn
mouse cursors in some games. As always, select the resolution within the application
when you can!!

Where can ovveride the resolution? I don't find the option.

image.jpg

You can have custom resolutions too (declared throught Catalyst/ForceWare control panel), see my "1440x1080" (4:3 for 1080p)

Thanks but this option existes before 2.52. Althought Dege said that this option is new. It's why i don't understand.

I have tried on dethkarz,
At 1920x1080 with dgvoodoo bencchmark give 650 fps
At 8k resolution, bench gives 150 fps
at 8k resolution with msaa 8x in dgvoodoo I have 54 fps
at 8k resolution with TxAA 8x+csaa32x + fxaa (all in nvidia driver) I have 52 fps
at 16k (15360x8640) game crash at the startup. I don't know why.

The problem is like even with 8k and msaa8x or txaa8x+casaa32x+fxaa I have still aliaising. I don't know why.

my config: gtx780

It's funny to see that a old game before 2000 is also demanding for 8k gaming. standard 8k gaming is not for tomorrow.

Last edited by willow on 2016-05-16, 20:48. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 2072 of 3949, by cacha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. This seems to be the closest thing to an "official" dgVooDoo2 forum, so I'd like to report some bugs in dgvoodoo2.5.1.
First, thanks for the amazing work. This wrapper is awesome!

I'm having some problems with the Novalogic flight sims(Mig-29 Fulcrum, F-16 MRF and F-22 L3). The first problem is exclusive to version 2.5.1. DgVoodoo renders the game at 640x480, even though the resolution is set to 1024x768 in game options menu. Setting the resolution to 1024x768 in dgvoodooSetup fixes this problem. Version 2.5 renders the game at the correct resolution without the need to force anything.

The other problem is hard to explain. The objects that are close to the horizon line aren't rendered at all. This is what it looks like:
L3bug1.png
L3bug2.png
The only walk around for this is to lower the video memory to 4MB. This disables z-buffer at higher resolutions. This is what it looks like without z-buffer:
L3ok.png

nGlide doesn't have this problem, but it has some texture flickering.

Reply 2073 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FDNY American Firefighter (Mekada + Activision Value) works properly except two problems. Intel Indeo Video doesnt show up (as usual), not big deal since there is only a little intro and little end. And there are still some minor errors in particles alpha effects (black borders around fire sparks), but i'm not really sure if its a dgVoodoo problem, i remember this from Windows XP days.

img0ba8cb0e0bdc3101fea5c2a250ead269.jpg

imgb242f584a5c3d133819152934b815068.jpg

Enought for me, rendering is broken natively in Windows 10.

Reply 2074 of 3949, by Snake_Eye

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
I quickly installed this game, and natively it indeed gave that error message. However copying DDraw.dll and D3DImm.dll to its f […]
Show full quote

I quickly installed this game, and natively it indeed gave that error message.
However copying DDraw.dll and D3DImm.dll to its folder was enough. I didn't even need setting compatibility mode (I'm on Win7), it worked:

Toy20.jpg
Toy21.jpg

I'm not sure if the game has anything issues on Win10 other than the graphics but what happens if you do a clean game reinstall and copy dgVoodoo files into its folder? Getting that error message implies that the game works with native DX for some reason.

Hey Dege, thanks for the quick response, and for also providing a solution that actually allows the game to run. However, a new problem I have encountered is that Toy2.exe has stopped working just after the ESRB rating screen shows. This could always just be a compatibility issue and I am going to check to see if this problem continues on my VM.

Reply 2075 of 3949, by Snake_Eye

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, well I finally got it working, for some reason the game will crash on startup and the only solution I found was alt+tab-ing while the game is starting up. The game runs great, I was just wondering if you might know why there is no music, even though I have music volume turned on max. Possibly installed incorrectly? Thanks for all the help.

Reply 2077 of 3949, by Bakhtosh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Regarding The longest Journey

Version 1.61 of the game works without dgVoodoo (using Windows 10 64 Bit) but has the following problems:
- some message boxes are displayed completely white
- antialiasing forced by AMD driver settings only works in window mode
- antialiasing forced by NVidia drivers results into flickering or missing graphic objects (fullscreen and window mode)

Demo of version 1.61 of the game can be downloaded here: Link

With dgVoodoo 2.51 (using Windows 10 64 Bit):
advantages:
- if the option "Disable Alt-Enter to toggle screen state" the problematic message boxes are displayed correctly in fullscreen mode (but not in window mode)
- if you choose "2x", "4x" or "8x" at "Antialiasing (MSAA)" antialiasing works (on a system with AMD video card as well as on a system with NVidia video card)
downside:
- if you choose "2x", "4x" or "8x" at "Antialiasing (MSAA)" in some locations the cursor leaves some white pixel behind if you move the mouse (doesn’t happen with "off" at "Antialiasing (MSAA)")

TLJ_Demo_161_dgVoodoo_AA_cursor_pixel.png
Filename
TLJ_Demo_161_dgVoodoo_AA_cursor_pixel.png
File size
323.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

In the demo simply enter the cabin in the back to reach this location and to reproduce the problem.

Another problem appeared with the transition from dgVoodoo WIP20 to WIP21:
- in the continue and options menues (plus submenues) the "cancel", "back", "return", etc. buttons now flicker (seems like between two states)

TLJ_Demo_161_dgVoodoo_flicker.png
Filename
TLJ_Demo_161_dgVoodoo_flicker.png
File size
188.04 KiB
Views
File license

These are the settings I use with dgVoodoo:

dgvoodoo_settings.png
Filename
dgvoodoo_settings.png
File size
40.22 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 2079 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snake_Eye wrote:

Hey Dege, thanks for the quick response, and for also providing a solution that actually allows the game to run. However, a new problem I have encountered is that Toy2.exe has stopped working just after the ESRB rating screen shows. This could always just be a compatibility issue and I am going to check to see if this problem continues on my VM.

It seems to work properly on Windows 10 64-bit.

img98410e5a2a0faa00a09179500c83c68f.jpg

imgbd7f94272feb20093ab1c6e3cbb61b3c.jpg

imgf9b3f2cebf6f555c1cab75645b6fda2d.jpg

img88fdc8bc56208115f04d7fce5fcc5d76.jpg

This version is, actually, the Playstation version, emulated back in 2000 by this guy (https://uk.linkedin.com/in/paulhoubart). Pretty much the same as A Bugs Life and Metal Gear Solid Integral.

Dont even waste your time if you have access to the Dreamcast version (emulated or through the original hardware), its far superior.