VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2481 of 3949, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nucleoprotein wrote:

@Dege
Starfleet Command III is terrible broken with and without dgVoodoo, can you look a it ? I love Star Trek 😀 It even sets for me interlaced resolution at 30Hz ignoring dgVoodoo settings 🙁

EDIT: Here is a mod which -almost- work: http://www.moddb.com/games/star-trek-starflee … -upgrade-mod-30 - it's working in window without borders on half of screen in 30Hz interlaced mode 🙁

You don't need any mods, just copy the d3d8.dll file from your windows\syswow64 directory into your SFC3 directory, make sure the game is set to use windowed mode in sfc.ini, and your good! No idea why that works, but it does. You may want to download and use compatibility administrator to change resolutions to the same one you run the game at whenever the .exe is started. That being said, I believe there may be some graphic glitches in game, so it would be nice if dgVoodoo supported it. FWIW, SFC 1 and 2 are much easier to get working in modern versions of Windows, although dgVoodoo has a couple of problems with them too (GUI misalignment in fullscreen mode + mouse pointer transparency not working).

lowenz wrote:

Komat (the author of that fix) is a member of these forums, you can contact him.

I appreciate the heads up.

On the subject of Dominon Wars, I was wrong in saying that the fix + dgVoodoo works nicely. It doesn't. Missions start okay, although not always that smooth, but the framerate gets lower, and lower, as time passes. This eventually renders missions almost unplayable. FWIW, the game can be made to run, without the fix or dgVoodoo, by using Dxwnd and its non power of two texture fix. However, the menu and in-game framerate is something like 10fps, and I haven't found any way of improving matters.

Reply 2482 of 3949, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope, Starfleet Command III is not working correctly even that because it always use -lowest- possible refresh rate which for my HDMI monitor is 30Hz (interlaced) and my screen is scrambled because of interlace artifacts. It also runs in small window covering left portion of my screen which I cant even move because is borderless.

Reply 2483 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
De-M-oN wrote:
any idea why every game is forced vsync on? dgvoodoo has it off, graphics driver has it forced off, still forced vsync for NFS 4 […]
Show full quote

any idea why every game is forced vsync on?
dgvoodoo has it off, graphics driver has it forced off, still forced vsync for NFS 4, NFS 2 SE and every other game is vsynched.

NFS 4 doesnt force to use vsync though. It has just a framelimiter of 64 while driving. ESC menu is uncapped, main menu I remember being uncapped too.
NFS 2 was completely uncapped, even ingame.

Why is now every game with glide forced to use vsync now? And nGlide has the same problem. What is going on here?

In Blood 2, when I use the mouse, it just randomly jerks to the top of my screen. It works fine native (without dgVoodoo 2)

Had the same problem. Use 2.50 for blood. That version works fine.

Had the same problem with Atlantis, it's the mouse emulation code used for aspect correction. Use any of the top three scaling modes or use a resolution that's at the aspect ratio of your monitor.

Reply 2484 of 3949, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nucleoprotein wrote:

Nope, Starfleet Command III is not working correctly even that because it always use -lowest- possible refresh rate which for my HDMI monitor is 30Hz (interlaced) and my screen is scrambled because of interlace artifacts. It also runs in small window covering left portion of my screen which I cant even move because is borderless.

As I said, try forcing the screen resolution using compatibility administrator (the ForceDisplayMode fix) to match the resolution that the game's running at. There are guides online for how to use that program if you need them. Also, if you haven't already, try changing the game's set resolution to see if that helps (remember to re-enable windowed in the ini if you change it using the config program). I'm also a little confused: how is the game changing refresh rate in windowed mode?

Reply 2485 of 3949, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This game (Starfleet Command III) is indeed changing desktop resolution -always- even in windowed mode.

@Dege
I found interesting feature in Tomb Raider 3 : http://s661.photobucket.com/user/jonathanrij/ … levels.png.html
There is "True Alpha" option that is "NA" on all tested hardware, nobody know what this does: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=208935 maybe some lost, old, DirectX feature ?

Reply 2486 of 3949, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nucleoprotein wrote:

This game (Starfleet Command III) is indeed changing desktop resolution -always- even in windowed mode.

That's odd. It certainly doesn't on my system, and it's extremely unusual for an app in Windowed mode to change resolution. Did you try what I suggested?

Reply 2487 of 3949, by Nucleoprotein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Silanda wrote:
Nucleoprotein wrote:

That's odd. It certainly doesn't on my system, and it's extremely unusual for an app in Windowed mode to change resolution. Did you try what I suggested?

Odd but it works after forcing to 1280x1024 and setting resmode=2, but main problem now is that it does not change resolution back automatically after process exit ...

Reply 2488 of 3949, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nucleoprotein wrote:
Silanda wrote:
Nucleoprotein wrote:

Odd but it works after forcing to 1280x1024 and setting resmode=2, but main problem now is that it does not change resolution back automatically after process exit ...

Yeah, I think it does that here too and I forgot. Try setting the ForceTemporaryModeChange fix. Incidentally, you still might have one problem, but it's only a minor one: a video will play when you finish a single player story campaign. However, when that finishes and the game returns to the menu, the menu will be zoomed in so you can only see part of it, and you'll need to alt+f4 to exit the game.

Reply 2490 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Huhh, so much info again... 😀

What is shiny texture bug? I have some tips because I saw strange things when played SC, but I'm not sure.
Could someone post about it plz?

For slow resolution changing, I think the only solution is the fake fullscreen.
FPS capping should work, if you type the frequency in the resolution combobox in the config app (e.g. 1280x1024, 30), but I know it doesn't work for DX emulation for some reason (it worked for Glide however, when last time I checked it).

Known problems:
- SC, SCPT throwing the rendering back to windowed mode. Those games resize the window after the fullscreen mode is set which is not compatible with DXGI (DXGI sets the window size/style for fullscreen itself, unlike old DX (<=9) runtimes). Cannot be fixed easily, maybe the executables should be patched.
- Mouse bug: I myself encountered it, it's related to the mouse cursor handling code for AR scaling modes. It can be workarounded by enabling 'Capture mouse' option, but I'm going to fix it.

Reply 2491 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

Huhh, so much info again... 😀

What is shiny texture bug? I have some tips because I saw strange things when played SC, but I'm not sure.
Could someone post about it plz?

But Dege i already posted about it.

Postby daniel_u » 2016-8-02 @ 19:27 […]
Show full quote

Postby daniel_u » 2016-8-02 @ 19:27

Second bug: Shiny textures. You can observe more here: https://youtu.be/nB9BTbtNyDw?t=9m.
Save game here:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=008 ... 9924949758

Hope it helps.

As for shimmering, the game internal working is tied to the refresh rate .eg 30, 60.... This is true also for SCPT. 30 fps(for PC i think) is what the developers intended. The higher the refresh rate the more effect you'll see. You will see this also in todays ports. A shame really.

Reply 2492 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sndwv wrote:
Taking Phil's recording on actual hardware as benchmark, for me the light beams move a lot quicker, even with vsync on, more lik […]
Show full quote
lowenz wrote:

No problems for me @60 FPS.

Taking Phil's recording on actual hardware as benchmark, for me the light beams move a lot quicker, even with vsync on, more like the speed of projectors mode here (mabe even faster):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB9BTbtNyDw#t=18m2s

*edit: looking at the full video it does seems like it's related to the framerate. The FX card (projectors) runs at twice the frame rate of the period-specific Ti-4800 (buffers). I guess the slower ~20-30 fps is just how I remember it from playing the game back in the day.

Is there an easy way to limit dgVoodoo to 30 fps to see if that looks better to me?

The game is using the refresh rate set in your video card control panel. The higher the refresh rate the more effect you have. At 30 fps the game feels like slideshow. My eyes hurt. 😀
Many games use this s*** method when porting from consoles.

Reply 2493 of 3949, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the info! Typing the refresh rate in the combobox indeed did not change anything, but I'll look into capping it via the GFX driver. In all a minor problem though, just to satisfy my nostalgia 😀

How do you guys currently get around the window switching issue? At the moment it prevents me from playing the game (without artifacts) in full screen mode.

Reply 2494 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sndwv wrote:

Thanks for the info! Typing the refresh rate in the combobox indeed did not change anything, but I'll look into capping it via the GFX driver. In all a minor problem though, just to satisfy my nostalgia 😀

How do you guys currently get around the window switching issue? At the moment it prevents me from playing the game (without artifacts) in full screen mode.

Use the Widescreen Fix?

https://thirteenag.github.io/wfp#sec6

Just DO NOT use d3d8.dll and d3d8.ini bundled in that package, but use d3d8.dll by Dege.

Reply 2495 of 3949, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lowenz wrote:

Use the Widescreen Fix?

https://thirteenag.github.io/wfp#sec6

Just DO NOT use d3d8.dll and d3d8.ini bundled in that package, but use d3d8.dll by Dege.

Thanks! That works, but only in desktop resolution it seems (which is 1920x1200 for me). Anything else has the same strange problem as the vanilla game with dgvoodoo, which is that the game is in full screen mode, but somehow only covers a part of the desktop from the top left inwards, with the desktop showing underneath. Alt-Entering in and out fixes that, but then the aforementioned artifacts appear.

Reply 2497 of 3949, by kalash49

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, Dege! I'm glad to report that Peixoto solved most of the problems in texture replacement for RE3 and we already have some great results:

0_12d440_4c06be05_XL.jpg

I'm very grateful to you for your improvements in 32 bit FMV playing for RE3. I remember, you told that you make some fixes not only for FMV but also for background texture appearance (you try to make RE3 load them in 32 bit color mode) but this changes unfortunately won't take effect. But now this fixes for textures cause troubles with Peixoto tool, so can you please make new fixed exe with improvements only for 24 bit FMV playing, so they not touch code for textures? I've try to change your fixes by myself but it only breaks everything. (If you can, please use exe from original UK version, like your first exe) Thank you.

Reply 2498 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A.I.M. 2: Clan Wars seems to have issues with rendering textures (see attached logs) using dgVoodoo2 WIP25. In fact, I can't even get into the open world without the game straight-up crashing with only the logs as evidence. Do note the game seems to use both DX7 and DX8 (the opening movies use DX7), though how much it mixes the two I have no idea.

Attachments

• Filename
    error_dx8only.log
    File size
    100.29 KiB
    Downloads
    55 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    error_dx7and8.log
    File size
    223.92 KiB
    Downloads
    61 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2499 of 3949, by Vivien

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
a thing from the past: […]
Show full quote

a thing from the past:

Vivien wrote:
I did a quick test of the game Hype The Time Quest in 3dfx mode and experienced the following issues: […]
Show full quote

I did a quick test of the game Hype The Time Quest in 3dfx mode and experienced the following issues:

* The sword has a rectangular outline.
* The crossbow is not see-through.
* The shield is square instead of round.
* 3dfx mode only works when initial state of Glide rendering is windowed.

These issues do not appear in D3D mode nor when using nGlide 1.5.

Also the graphics look a bit better when forcing 1920x1080 rather than unforced 640x480. But I only figured out this was possible after taking the screenshots. 😀

System specs: Windows 7 64-bit, AMD Radeon HD 7900 series GPU (v16.3.2), dgVoodoo 2.52 & D3DCompiler_43.

The rendering issues are fixed, however intializing Glide and cooperating with DX is so poorly written in this game that I still couldn't fix the fullscreen issue.
It seems to be very hard to handle it, so I keep at the D3D version for now (that one runs without any compatibility patching).

Thank you for trying! 😀 It can't be helped if the original developers did a poor job to begin with.

I have been meaning to test another old favourite: Battlezone 1 from 1998. However after looking into it a bit I found out that the original programmer released an unofficial 1.5 patch which fixed a ton of issues and added new features amongst which was full support for modern systems so that ended up being unnecessary. However, he didn't have access to the source code for the add-on called "The Red Odyssey" so I tested that instead.

When stock, "The Red Odyssey" v1.3 refuses to launch with a "Sorry, there is not enough memory to continue" error. Setting WinXP SP3 compatibility mode fixes the memory issue, but the game then crashes with an "Unhandled Exception" error. If this thread is anything to go by, it is presumably another one of those fixed array things overflowing.

kmeOvYD.jpg

The latest WIP25_2 release gets me to the menu, it is a small square in the upper left corner, but at least I'm there. When selecting "Options" though, the game seems to lock me out. The animation in the menu is still moving, but I can't click on anything. Running the game with the /win argument allows me to enter "Options" and setting the "3D Card" option to "ON". A restart without the argument then allows entering "Options" and setting resolution to 1280x1024 (maximum possible). The game is then playable and I finished the first campaign mission without any problems. Unfortunately, when pressing "Save game" in the debriefing screen the game locks me out again.

While I've managed to work around a number of issues, the inability to save games is pretty fatal. The game does not keep track of campaign progress so loading games is the only way to play short of a marathon session of going through the whole thing without pause. Interestingly enough, the save game crash does not happen in hardware mode if the resolution is 640x480, nor when using software mode ("3D Card" option "OFF"). Both, while playable, look pretty ugly. Software mode also means two hundred fps on my machine (compared to sixty in hardware mode), this results in a hilarious rate of fire increase on all weapons. I'm pretty sure that this was not intended by the developers.

I hope this is of use. Thanks again for having a look at Hype.

Last edited by Vivien on 2016-08-24, 08:14. Edited 3 times in total.