VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2720 of 3949, by ed_barber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
daniel_u wrote:
Quality wise, the SC3 port is at Komat level fix. […]
Show full quote
stranno wrote:
daniel_u wrote:

I can show you how bad SC2 was ported to PS3. 😀)

Really? I got the trilogy a week ago for 5 bucks in the Store and i thought it was good stuff.

Quality wise, the SC3 port is at Komat level fix.

You can check my detailed report here:
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
Some errors there are exactly in the SC3 port. Funny. True, for SC2 port on PS3 i gave up after first level.
Then i only got interested checking the TV station level with the 3 lights on the scene and curtain. What a mess that part is. 😉

PS3 version was actually worse than the Komat fix. There was actually one instance wherein Pandora Tomorrow you had to wait for the sun to set but the lighting in that part of the level didn't show up. Let's just say it was very tricky to pass the section of the level. Even all the shadows are rendered like the edges are all pixelated and razor sharp in some instances. Even the UI was stretched like it was in the PC version while playing in 1080p with a widescreen hack, not fix. That port was a joke, the only thing they did was swap some of the textures out with new ones and changing the render path to use the ATI like shadows (apparently it's very easy to do if you know how to do it) as it was a direct port from the buggy PC version. The framerate was even choppy most of the time like playing on an older ATI GPU.

Reply 2721 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ed_barber wrote:

PS3 version was actually worse than the Komat fix. There was actually one instance wherein Pandora Tomorrow you had to wait for the sun to set but the lighting in that part of the level didn't show up. Let's just say it was very tricky to pass the section of the level. Even all the shadows are rendered like the edges are all pixelated and razor sharp in some instances. Even the UI was stretched like it was in the PC version while playing in 1080p with a widescreen hack, not fix. That port was a joke, the only thing they did was swap some of the textures out with new ones and changing the render path to use the ATI like shadows (apparently it's very easy to do if you know how to do it) as it was a direct port from the buggy PC version. The framerate was even choppy most of the time like playing on an older ATI GPU.

It's why Dege is officially a retrogaming hero 😁

Reply 2722 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm playing Desperados with the widescreen patch and it have heavy slowdowns moving the mouse. I have tried disabling v-sync both in nvidia driver panel and dgv, it doesnt help at all (it is supposed to be working checking with Fraps). I have also enabled Fast Video Memory.

game%2525202016-10-14%25252013-15-45-77.png

dgVoodoo 2.53.

Reply 2724 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stranno wrote:

I'm playing Desperados with the widescreen patch and it have heavy slowdowns moving the mouse. I have tried disabling v-sync both in nvidia driver panel and dgv, it doesnt help at all (it is supposed to be working checking with Fraps). I have also enabled Fast Video Memory.

dgVoodoo 2.53.

I think that might be one of the games that have a problem with high mouse polling rates. And I think (not sure) it doesn't like dgVoodoo2's emulated aspect ratio correction modes.

If you want to play the game, the best solution is IMO DxWnd.

Reply 2725 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
stranno wrote:

dgVoodoo 2.53.

I think that might be one of the games that have a problem with high mouse polling rates. And I think (not sure) it doesn't like dgVoodoo2's emulated aspect ratio correction modes.

It works without any wrapper in Windows 7 but i want it working properly on dgVoodoo since, without the widescreen/hd patch, it have the best quality.

Reply 2726 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stranno wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
stranno wrote:

dgVoodoo 2.53.

It works without any wrapper in Windows 7 but i want it working properly on dgVoodoo since, without the widescreen/hd patch, it have the best quality.

Uh? dgVoodoo2 shouldn't offer any quality advantages over running it under DxWnd... but as said, make sure you're not using any of the aspect correction modes, windowed mode and reduce mouse polling rate.

Reply 2727 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Myloch wrote:

Onimusha 1 pc crashes when trying to run it with dgvoodoo2 (vanilla or patched 1.2)

The japanese version works for me in Windows 7 (patch 1.02) but it have lots of rendering errors. Main character and enemies are partially invisible. Without any wrapper it works fine. I have to try the english version.

OnimuPC%2525202016-10-15%25252014-57-00-64.png

OnimuPC%2525202016-10-15%25252014-57-06-41.png

ZellSF wrote:

Uh? dgVoodoo2 shouldn't offer any quality advantages over running it under DxWnd... but as said, make sure you're not using any of the aspect correction modes, windowed mode and reduce mouse polling rate.

It looks sharper for me, maybe better scaling.

Reply 2728 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whilst I ran Colin McRae Rally fine with dgVoodoo 2.53 (although no fog in the game), Codemasters previous game, ToCA Touring Car Championship, can't work with dgVoodoo, on account of the game's setup.exe file requiring Win98 compatibility mode (which seems to break dgVoodoo). I played with ACT, but as soon as you change something in the default WIn98 compatibility mode settings, the game won't start.

I guess someone could hack the setup.exe file to remove the version check, then it might work, as setup.exe calls tourcars.exe (it doesn't pass it any parameters, as I checked with Process Monitor), and you can't launch the game directly from tourcars.exe

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2729 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

I guess someone could hack the setup.exe file to remove the version check, then it might work, as setup.exe calls tourcars.exe (it doesn't pass it any parameters, as I checked with Process Monitor), and you can't launch the game directly from tourcars.exe

This should do it. Still doesn't work with dgVoodoo though.

Attachments

• Filename
    setup-patched.zip
    File size
    170.89 KiB
    Downloads
    95 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2730 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stranno wrote:

Yep, desperados and everything, I really like the crispy clean graphics dxgl and dgvoodoo2 can throw out when they proper render at high resolution, I'm tired of blurry graphics you often obtain when running old games on modern rig. Some ppl prefer soft graphics, it's mostly a matter of taste really.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 2731 of 3949, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stranno wrote:
Myloch wrote:

Onimusha 1 pc crashes when trying to run it with dgvoodoo2 (vanilla or patched 1.2)

The japanese version works for me in Windows 7 (patch 1.02) but it have lots of rendering errors. Main character and enemies are partially invisible. Without any wrapper it works fine. I have to try the english version.

Is there a english version of onimusha PC ?

Reply 2733 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Myloch wrote:
stranno wrote:

Yep, desperados and everything, I really like the crispy clean graphics dxgl and dgvoodoo2 can throw out when they proper render at high resolution, I'm tired of blurry graphics you often obtain when running old games on modern rig. Some ppl prefer soft graphics, it's mostly a matter of taste really.

I was suggesting DxWnd though, it like DXGL allows for both nearest and bilinear scaling. It should look identical to dgVoodoo2 which if I'm not mistaken does bilinear scaling in fullscreen and nearest scaling in window mode.

DXGL has the same "problem" with Desperados that dgVooodoo2 does btw. It requires disabling vsync which can lead to tearing, which DxWnd won't have.

Reply 2736 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arko86 wrote:

Hey Dege, can you also do something for SC:DA's translucent/refracting ice and HDR. Either one of them exists on the PC.

lowenz wrote:

SCDA is D3D9.
Out of the scope of this project, now.

Gedosato might be a more proper project for that

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 2737 of 3949, by ed_barber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Arko86 wrote:
Hey Dege, can you also do something for SC:DA's translucent/refracting ice and HDR. Either one of them exists on the PC. […]
Show full quote

Hey Dege, can you also do something for SC:DA's translucent/refracting ice and HDR. Either one of them exists on the PC.

Ice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhGZk3UJybM 2:38

HDR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv8PnaKNsvc 0:42

Thanks

SCDA was a buggy PC port, to begin with (even buggier than Pandora Tomorrow was on release). I actually don't think they even added in some of the effects, to begin with. Stuff like that probably has different transparency levels and HDR levels or something like that. The PC version is more comparable to the PS3 version which looks closer in comparison. TBH, it would be nice if there was a water fix for Far Cry in dgVoodoo as the land mass reflection doesn't even appear on anything newer than Windows XP. The wine fix works but is unoptimized and unstable.