VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2080 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I read that Alien vs Predator is a DX7 game. In spite of that, it renders through ancient execute buffers... (D3D3 or 2)
What is more, I additionally found that this game has a rather inefficient rendering way as of using 'dynamic' textures. 😵
It explains the performance drop when too much flashlight are present or when their smoke-aura is close to the camera.
I hope I can fix it somehow by some additional code.

I also checked Humvee Assault. This game has an external process for movie playback which is placed and launched from some User temp directory
on the system drive, that's why placing DDraw into the game folder has no effect on that. I cannot enter a mission in this game, even with native DX, for some reason the game always minimalizes its window.

Fallout Tactics works only in forced windowed mode without resolution forcing. Error message 'cannot create rendering buffers' is an unfortunate upshot of its incompatibility with DXGI. Both for fullscreen or res forcing the game should be patched a little bit.

cacha wrote:

I'm having some problems with the Novalogic flight sims(Mig-29 Fulcrum, F-16 MRF and F-22 L3). The first problem is exclusive to version 2.5.1. DgVoodoo renders the game at 640x480, even though the resolution is set to 1024x768 in game options menu. Setting the resolution to 1024x768 in dgvoodooSetup fixes this problem. Version 2.5 renders the game at the correct resolution without the need to force anything.

The other problem is hard to explain. The objects that are close to the horizon line aren't rendered at all. This is what it looks like:

'Sticking' resolution is fixed since 2.51 in some of the WIPs. The other problem is well known to me, I didn't yet fixed it because I have no idea how to do that without raw hacking (I don't want to bend the wrapper (code) to games). That opaque strip is the game fault, giving wrong depth coordinates to Glide and it all works due to some 3Dfx hw magic on a real hw. 🙁

Bakhtosh wrote:

Another problem appeared with the transition from dgVoodoo WIP20 to WIP21:
- in the continue and options menues (plus submenues) the "cancel", "back", "return", etc. buttons now flicker (seems like between two states)

I think it's because paletted textures is broken in WIP21, I already fixed it.

I'd like to fix only regression bugs for now (if any 😁) and then release a new version.

Reply 2081 of 3949, by Glurak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Diablo 2 patch 1.14c is out now maybe now you can look what problem the game has ? ^^

Keep the Aspect Ratio etc dont work etc

http://us.battle.net/en/forum/topic/20743984250

Patchnotes:

Specific Changes & Improvements
Fixed 3 more bugs that cause Mac client crashes on “Save & Exit”
nGlide will now load on PC
Known Issues
Spammers still making us all sad. We’re working on it.

Reply 2082 of 3949, by cacha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

'Sticking' resolution is fixed since 2.51 in some of the WIPs. The other problem is well known to me, I didn't yet fixed it because I have no idea how to do that without raw hacking (I don't want to bend the wrapper (code) to games). That opaque strip is the game fault, giving wrong depth coordinates to Glide and it all works due to some 3Dfx hw magic on a real hw. 🙁

I didn't knew about the WIPs, sorry about reporting a fixed bug.
You don't need to worry too much about the other problem. Using non-zbuffer resolutions only causes minor glitches.
There is another problem, but I think it's not related do dgVoodoo. Sometimes the game shows dark green patches instead of textures.
L3bug3.png
I suppose this is the "correct" behavior when the game runs out of video memory. This rarely happens, so it's a minor issue.

Last edited by cacha on 2016-05-19, 01:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2084 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aiken's Artifact - Resolution forcing works (Lithtech, so sort of obvious). Makes UI all the more readable at high resolutions.

Dino Crisis - Resolution forcing works, but it seems like PSX emulated 3D.

Drakan: Order of the Flame - Unplayable, mouse cursor not working (no forced aspect ratio or resolution).

Emperor: Battle for Dune - Resolution forcing works. Makes some text much more readable at higher resolutions.

Shogo: MAD seems broken in the latest WIP.

Attachments

Reply 2085 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

I also checked Humvee Assault. This game has an external process for movie playback which is placed and launched from some User temp directory
on the system drive, that's why placing DDraw into the game folder has no effect on that. I cannot enter a mission in this game, even with native DX, for some reason the game always minimalizes its window.

Dege, any idea about the Intel Indeo format? I couldnt get it work in any game so far.

Here's the FDNY Firefighter: American Hero demo if you want to try.

https://archive.org/download/VARIOS0001/firefighterdemo.exe

Reply 2086 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Darkstone: Resolution forcing works, but results in window focus problems and exiting from fullscreen.

Lands of Lore III: Resolution forcing does not work. No change in rendering resolution.

Startopia: Resolution forcing works perfectly.

Attachments

Reply 2087 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Report for DUAL GPU user case 😁 (iGPU + dGPU)

No matter the choice of the GPU, with DX Passthrough enabled the rendering runs *ONLY* on the monitor-physically-connected GPU.

GeForce+Intel:

* GeForce connected to the monitor + Intel -> DX Passthrough can't be forced on the Intel / dgVoodoo D3D11 works on either GPUs
* Intel connected to the monitor + GeForce -> DX Passthrough can't be forced on the GeForce / dgVoodoo D3D11 works on either GPUs

Dege, can you solve this "problem" (or it isn't a problem but the necessary behaviour?)

Last edited by lowenz on 2016-05-19, 22:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2090 of 3949, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stranno wrote:

Dege, any idea about the Intel Indeo format? I couldnt get it work in any game so far.

I don't know if you know this, but the old Indeo codec is blocked on Windows these days. It installs just fine, but it doesn't work unless you do a registry tweak to get around the block. Alternatively, installing codecs like LAV Filters should work assuming they play nice with dgVoodoo.

Reply 2092 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Diablo II: I tried the 1.14c patch and it works, but the output has to be set to the primary monitor. If I remember right it wasn't a problem in earlier versions but now the game window and the cursor is forced to the primary monitor.

AvP2: LithTech engine, and it has the same problem as Blood2 with dynamic lighting, that's why no smooth 60fps. But this case is slightly different than Blood2 and requires a little bit other solution. It's on the list but I don't want to fix it in the next release.

lowenz wrote:

Dege, can you solve this "problem" (or it isn't a problem but the necessary behaviour?)

Uhm, I don't really know... 😀 I should look into it.

Silanda wrote:

I don't know if you know this, but the old Indeo codec is blocked on Windows these days. It installs just fine, but it doesn't work unless you do a registry tweak to get around the block. Alternatively, installing codecs like LAV Filters should work assuming they play nice with dgVoodoo.

Independently on that, Indeo is not compatible with dgvoodoo. It needs extra support like DirectShow.

Reply 2093 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
krongo wrote:
Start playing Nocturne game works fine except one glitch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf0TAcvTPpw for comparison https://www. […]
Show full quote

Start playing Nocturne
game works fine except one glitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf0TAcvTPpw
for comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEb_yyalYmc
hope it can be fixed 😀

For some reason I had serious glitches with forced MSAA with this game (with my semicrap driver though...).
Aren't you playing it with MSAA and that's why that glitch is present?

Reply 2094 of 3949, by krongo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
krongo wrote:
Start playing Nocturne game works fine except one glitch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf0TAcvTPpw for comparison https://www. […]
Show full quote

Start playing Nocturne
game works fine except one glitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf0TAcvTPpw
for comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEb_yyalYmc
hope it can be fixed 😀

For some reason I had serious glitches with forced MSAA with this game (with my semicrap driver though...).
Aren't you playing it with MSAA and that's why that glitch is present?

No,Msaa is off

Reply 2095 of 3949, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

Independently on that, Indeo is not compatible with dgvoodoo. It needs extra support like DirectShow.

Is there any chance of future support? Lots of games use it.

What i haven tried is changing the video format/container. Maybe that can work unless its hardcoded in Indeo.

I supposed it was not supported since LAV filters are my default codec suite.

Reply 2097 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In Heavy Gear 2 with dgVoodoo2 - correctly selected as adapter - the maximum 32 bit resolution available is 800x600.
You can manually force higher resolutions in the config file (option.ini in the shell\texts directory) but without dgVoodoo2 the game can directly see them!

image.png / image.png

Just reporting this little issue to Dege for the sake of precision 😁

Reply 2098 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Other 2 little issues :p

1) "Stretch with AR" upscale filtering/blurring is not applied when dgVoodoo2 detect a forced resolution = monitor native resolution and this is the correct behaviour and the result is truly beautiful!
But the filtering (and so the resulting blur) *IS* applied if the forced resolution has the same height of the monitor native resolution but not the length! Or viceversa (I didn't test this scenario). I think it would be a good thing to automatically disable the filtering in those cases too! (same vertical pixel number detected OR same horizontal pixel number detected)

Obviously using "Centered" mode solves the problem, so it's not a "real" issue 😉

2) Sometimes forced resolution creates this unwanted frame tesselletion: is it avoidable?

Sacred_2016_05_20_21_52_01_122.png

Reply 2099 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Resolution forcing sort of works in Magic & Mayhem: The Art of Magic. Cursor flickers and is invisible 90% of the time. Not really any point in resolution forcing in this game anyway since there's resolution hacks available for resolutions up to 3840x2160 and the game perfectly scales all its UI elements.