VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 600 of 3949, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dege, could you try to get WinQuake to work with this? Because with it, it is just a black screen. But without it, any resolution above 320x240 in Windows 8 gets terrible FPS (in timedemo 1, 320x240 I get 600 FPS, in 640x480 I get 28.) I am sure that WinQuake uses a DirectX wrapper.

Reply 602 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FPS capping is different than vsync, people even FPS cap to 60 when running vsync at 60hz for a few different reasons. Running at 75 FPS on a 60 FPS monitor seems like a very weird idea though.

There's a few third party framerate limiting tools that work with dgVoodoo2. MSI OSD (included with MSI Afterburner) seems to work.

and the crosshair seems to be missing.

Uncheck "Bilinear blit stretch" if you have it checked. I didn't actually test if the crosshair was there in WIP3, but that's a setting that definitely makes it go away.

Reply 603 of 3949, by kon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great, but I'm confused a little bit...
Did you try it with Glide or D3D?

I just copy glide,2,3 dlls + wip3 files to game folder, run@voodoo, cutscene will crash under windowed mode ,only use fullscreen can pass,but ingame you can switch back windowed use F8,others d3d card mode, cutscene work Normally both windowed & fullscreen

I've tried Resident Evil 1 so far but as I saw, it has no Glide support but I'm not sure.
My problem with that was I could start the game only from the CD (the installer didn't copy the executable into the game folder).
Every time I tried to launch it with the executable copied manually to the game folder it simply did nothing. So, I would have to copy the wrapper dlls to the CD.

For me I maked game cd to iso and mount it with UltraISO ,copied Resident Evil EUR v1.00c Patch to the game installed folder and run it ,you can also use UltraISO edit the iso

Filename
Resident Evil EUR v1.00c Patch.zip
File size
454.28 KiB
Downloads
118 downloads
File comment
Resident Evil EUR v1.00c Patch
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

PS:I also use RE voodoo2patch but fail
http://www.fileplanet.com/50970/download/Resi … -Voodoo-2-Patch

Sorry for my bad english

Last edited by kon on 2015-03-24, 11:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 604 of 3949, by stereo3D

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

I've just tried it on my GTX 560Ti and I got ~800 fps both with WIP2 and WIP3.

that's probably just the cpu limit. try this:
1. enable 8x msaa in dgvoodoo
2. nvidia inspector > profiles > create new: Blood 2 > add app: client.exe
3. transparency supersampling: 8x sparse grid supersampling > apply

old profiles always have to be deleted first or 3d vision won't work. (they are remnants from the old stereo driver)
if the gpu usage is still below 99 % try a higher resolution and enable 3d vision (discover)

3d vision only works with untransformed vertices that's why it doesn't work at all with nglide.

Reply 605 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stereo3D wrote:
that's probably just the cpu limit. try this: 1. enable 8x msaa in dgvoodoo 2. nvidia inspector > profiles > create new: Blood 2 […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote:

I've just tried it on my GTX 560Ti and I got ~800 fps both with WIP2 and WIP3.

that's probably just the cpu limit. try this:
1. enable 8x msaa in dgvoodoo
2. nvidia inspector > profiles > create new: Blood 2 > add app: client.exe
3. transparency supersampling: 8x sparse grid supersampling > apply

old profiles always have to be deleted first or 3d vision won't work. (they are remnants from the old stereo

driver)
if the gpu usage is still below 99 % try a higher resolution and enable 3d vision (discover)

3d vision only works with untransformed vertices that's why it doesn't work at all with nglide.

Ok, thanks, going to try that later.

I would like to put some things in the clear on Blood2, I'm confused now:

- Light mapping is not the same as dynamic lighting (sorry, I spoke in a messy way about that)
- The blitting optimization affects only dynamic lighting in LithTech. I can't remember if I've seen a lot of scenes with dynamic lighting in Blood2, only the explosions or burning objects here and there.
- I can't see any difference between no-lightmapping and static light mapping as for the driving code in Blood2. Both pathes just draw polygons in either single or double pass depending on enabled multitexturing, but there is no blitting, nothing special. That's why I didn't have any problems with Blood2, I guess.
- The game does some blitting at the end of rendering the frame when it draws the hud elements but they are always there, independently on light mapping.
- When I force vsync off on the driver control panel, I get very high fps-s, like 300-400 even on the GTS450 but the game is unplayable. Controls are lagging to the hell and the display is flickering.
- Isn't there a patch for Blood2? I can't remember if I installed some kind of patches when installed the game.

Reply 606 of 3949, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

What performace do you get with Shogo?

A frame drop near terminals in the second level. 😵

Some observation of Blood 2/Shogo:

- similiar frame rate and drop downs at 640x480 and 1920x1200

- can't disable VSync, even through Catalyst Control Center

- games are somewhat unstable

Windows 8.1, Radeon HD 5770 (Catalyst 14.12)

Dege wrote:

Edit: if I disable single-pass multi-texturing under advanced options, I got a bit lower fps but I don't think it's relevant.

bHeA7o8l.png Single-pass off

2FDWB8Pl.png Single-pass on

Not a dgVoodoo bug, I can see this on my legacy PC with GeForce 7600GS too.

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 607 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Uncapped I get around 450 fps with 8x AA.

blood2.jpg
Filename
blood2.jpg
File size
234.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Firtasik wrote:

- can't disable VSync, even through Catalyst Control Center

The vsync option in the controlcenter is just for Opengl. Radeonpro is one tool that can force vsync in DirectX but in order to make it work with Blood 2 I had to run Radeonpro with admin rights and the game in Win 98 mode.

Reply 608 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Firtasik wrote:
A frame drop near terminals in the second level. :dead: […]
Show full quote
Dege wrote:

What performace do you get with Shogo?

A frame drop near terminals in the second level. 😵

Some observation of Blood 2/Shogo:

- similiar frame rate and drop downs at 640x480 and 1920x1200

Here (Calm before the storm)?

CLIENT_2015_03_24_14_14_47_04.jpg

This is a place where true dynamic lighting is present as the green light is flashing. My fps dropped to 40-50 from constant 60 here with my cards and the old version.
I don't want to go into techincal detail, but it seems as if your driver is still syncing when mapping the textures in question into the address space as it does when copying between them immediately. I've changed the mapping type (read/write as needed to give more info to the driver) but I don't think it will help. 🙁

Uncapped I get around 450 fps with 8x AA.

Teleguy, thanks for the test!

Stereo3D, do you get 90fps only with 3Dvision or with plain mono rendering too?

BTW, the crosshair is OK, but it does not show up with 'bilinear blit stretch enabled' as ZellSF said.
One more idea: I incremented the wrapper and config version number in WIP3 but didn't checked if the new version can read the old config. Newer versions should read succesfully all previous config file versions, so it's backward compatible, but maybe I broke something and WIP3 cannot read your old config and so uses the default.
(Not that so many options we have but I don't understand how bilinear stretch got into enabled state otherwise, if that is the problem.)

Hmm... I don't know if 'untransformed' means 'passed through a vertex shader' and 'transformed' means 'passed directly to the rasterizer'. (The latter can be done in D3D9.)

Reply 609 of 3949, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tested dgVoodoo with International Rally Championship, here are the results:
- game works without any major glitches, but the frame rate is quite low (~25 fps)
- when I press Esc, the game stops but the pause menu doesn't show up

The game runs in Windows 95 compatibility mode (otherwise it crashes when it starts).

Reply 611 of 3949, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
teleguy wrote:

The vsync option in the controlcenter is just for Opengl. Radeonpro is one tool that can force vsync in DirectX but in order to make it work with Blood 2 I had to run Radeonpro with admin rights and the game in Win 98 mode.

CCC under Windows XP is able to change VSync in Blood 2. I can't do this under Windows 8. I don't know why, maybe because of mandatory Desktop Window Manager/Modern UI. I've been using RadeonPro under Windows 7 to enable VSync in Painkiller. After upgrade to 8 there's no screen tearing in Painkiller anymore.

Dege wrote:

Yes. The CPU is involved here too (in Blood 2 as well). I have Phenom II X4 955 BE@3.6GHz and without lightmapping that place gives me constant 60 fps at 1920x1200, even if CPU is downclocked to 800MHz. With lightmapping turned on, 800Mhz is noticeably worse than 3.6GHz. Well, I just need a faster CPU. 😉

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 612 of 3949, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Firtasik wrote:
CCC under Windows XP is able to change VSync in Blood 2. I can't do this under Windows 8. I don't know why, maybe because of man […]
Show full quote
teleguy wrote:

CCC under Windows XP is able to change VSync in Blood 2. I can't do this under Windows 8. I don't know why, maybe because of mandatory Desktop Window Manager/Modern UI. I've been using RadeonPro under Windows 7 to enable VSync in Painkiller. After upgrade to 8 there's no screen tearing in Painkiller anymore.

Dege wrote:

Yes. The CPU is involved here too (in Blood 2 as well). I have Phenom II X4 955 BE@3.6GHz and without lightmapping that place gives me constant 60 fps at 1920x1200, even if CPU is downclocked to 800MHz. With lightmapping turned on, 800Mhz is noticeably worse than 3.6GHz. Well, I just need a faster CPU. 😉

I can force v-sync off fine here on Windows 8.1, but that may be because I have a GTX 980 😜

Reply 613 of 3949, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrEWhite wrote:
leileilol wrote:

WinQuake uses Scitech MGL which is one hell of a buggy library to emulate around. It does use DirectX through MGL and DXGL can't work with it either.

Could it be attempted though?

The thing about MGL is that it really desires direct video card access more than DirectDraw does given its DOS UniVBE heritage

You're better off using a software source port that uses DirectDraw which there aren't many of really (Makaqu, Engoo, Super8) and then it'd be pointless to throw that through the dgVoodoo wrapper anyway since they work fine natively on 7 (don't know 8 or 10)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 614 of 3949, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:
leileilol wrote:

WinQuake uses Scitech MGL which is one hell of a buggy library to emulate around. It does use DirectX through MGL and DXGL can't work with it either.

Could it be attempted though?

The thing about MGL is that it really desires direct video card access more than DirectDraw does given its DOS UniVBE heritage

You're better off using a software source port that uses DirectDraw which there aren't many of really (Makaqu, Engoo, Super8) and then it'd be pointless to throw that through the dgVoodoo wrapper anyway since they work fine natively on 7 (don't know 8 or 10)

Engoo runs pretty bad for me on 8.1 with a i7 4770 @ 3.8 GHz at 1080p (low 60's to 70's), 1080p.
But Makaqu on the other hand runs at a pretty decent framerate at 1080p, (114 FPS) but has to be played in windowed mode.

Reply 615 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tgomola wrote:
I've tested dgVoodoo with International Rally Championship, here are the results: - game works without any major glitches, but t […]
Show full quote

I've tested dgVoodoo with International Rally Championship, here are the results:
- game works without any major glitches, but the frame rate is quite low (~25 fps)
- when I press Esc, the game stops but the pause menu doesn't show up

The game runs in Windows 95 compatibility mode (otherwise it crashes when it starts).

I found a glitch and fixed that. Other than that this game works perfectly for me at 60 fps, it's a DX5 game not demanding too much resources.

Lego Island doesn't render any 3d elements and hotspot positions appear to be slightly higher than they're supposed to. Results using d3drm.dll from DirectX 6 (same result with the one from XP), game crashes using the d3drm.dll the game comes with (directx 5).

Is there a demo for this game? I couldn't find so far but I won't give up. 😀

Don't know how to do a crash dump

I don't know an easier way than installing Visual Studio Express and attaching to the game when it crashes. Then you could see the crashing point.

Reply 616 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Meanwhile I got the full version of Lego Island.

I've just fixed it and seems to work OK. However I realized that the problem revealed needs some additional reverse engineering, but I don't want to do that for this (the next) version.

hotspot positions appear to be slightly higher

Same with native DX. (Altough native DX renders 3D elements only partially for me with this game.)

Results using d3drm.dll from DirectX 6 (same result with the one from XP), game crashes using the d3drm.dll the game comes with (directx 5).

Indeed, the one delivered with the game does not work for me either but using the latest version is ok.

Reply 617 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just examined the GOG version of the BoP executable.
Indeed, it crashes with dgVoodoo (with 3D acceleration) because it seems that this executable is patched 'badly'.
It utilizes some of the internals of the native DX (I'm not sure if it's only the Vista/Win7 version of native DX or previous Win versions could also work because I've seen reports about GOG executables crashing on old Windowses).

Anyhow, I patched dgVoodoo to work for this particular case but I don't want to do similar adjustion of the wrapper for other possible crashes.

Reply 618 of 3949, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, so, I just tried this with Resident Evil PC. I recorded a video of the issues, but quick summary:

NO 2D background works in the game. This means all backgrounds won't display.
FMVs are broken.
Text does not display.
Game is blurrier than normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzpXcWneGi4&feature=youtu.be

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 619 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpeedySPCFan wrote:
Alright, so, I just tried this with Resident Evil PC. I recorded a video of the issues, but quick summary: […]
Show full quote

Alright, so, I just tried this with Resident Evil PC. I recorded a video of the issues, but quick summary:

NO 2D background works in the game. This means all backgrounds won't display.
FMVs are broken.
Text does not display.
Game is blurrier than normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzpXcWneGi4&feature=youtu.be

Wow! Thanks for that video!
I've tried the game with the patch and I can reproduce the same.
Well, the bad news are the following:

- FMV's are missing because they aren't rendered through DirectDraw but GDI. It's the same problem as with King's Quest 8, for example. This combination is still unsupported in dgVoodoo, I'm planning to do something with it in a later version.
- Screen image is blurrier than normal because the game uses 320x240 as of resulution by default. If I disable the support for that in the wrapper code then the game runs in 640x400 (or 640x480, I can't remember). It seems the game looks for the lowest resolution supported or sg like that, for some reason. I don't know if there is a way to force it externally to use 640x480.
- Scene background is missing because the game handles paletted textures incorrectly. If I disable the support for paletted textures then it renders fine. I'm not sure if Matrox or Rendition supported paletted textures (I mention that because if they didn't do that then the game may runs on an untested path with paletted textures, I don't know), but the wrapper always gets a black palette for backgrounds.

Unfortunately all of the 3 issues are things that I can't address for the time being. 🙁