VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 720 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hope it's not 320x200 X-mode because it is not supported by dgVoodoo.

MMMmmm, after all it is 320x200x8 modeX...
But, as I forgot about the fact that all of the modes are linearized toward the application in DirectX, adding support for it is not a big deal, I've just done it and the game runs fine now.
So I guess modeX modes made sense only for the ability to creating more than one buffer (front, back, ...) on an old VGA with 256kB VRAM, since the linearizing itself is costly.

I tried with Tomb Raider 3 and Gothic,but the wrapper causes some of the graphics to turn white.

I've just tried 2.43 with TR3 to see if I broke sg but the game ran fine.
Do white textures appear at once you start the game or playing with it for a while is needed?

Reply 721 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's awesome! Is there any plan for when the next beta/WIP version might be out?

I wonder if the 320x200x8 modeX support will help other old games too?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 722 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can upload it now, after all it's not in a half-state right now:

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP5.zip

- Mirrored blitting is fixed
- Support for ModeX
- Transforming normal vectors are changed in the lighting calculations because it wasn't compatible with MS D3D; also doing the normalizing of normals weren't OK in pre-DX7 interfaces, fixed

Reply 723 of 3949, by ricardokung

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
MMMmmm, after all it is 320x200x8 modeX... But, as I forgot about the fact that all of the modes are linearized toward the appli […]
Show full quote

I hope it's not 320x200 X-mode because it is not supported by dgVoodoo.

MMMmmm, after all it is 320x200x8 modeX...
But, as I forgot about the fact that all of the modes are linearized toward the application in DirectX, adding support for it is not a big deal, I've just done it and the game runs fine now.
So I guess modeX modes made sense only for the ability to creating more than one buffer (front, back, ...) on an old VGA with 256kB VRAM, since the linearizing itself is costly.

I tried with Tomb Raider 3 and Gothic,but the wrapper causes some of the graphics to turn white.

I've just tried 2.43 with TR3 to see if I broke sg but the game ran fine.
Do white textures appear at once you start the game or playing with it for a while is needed?

It appears at once(the passport on the title screen is completely white),but if It works fine for you then It must be problem with my specs.Thank you.
Edit:
Gothic works pretty nice with the new WIP.Thank you.

Windows 7 x64-i7 4790k-GTX660ti-8gb ram

Reply 724 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MageSlayer and Take No Prisoners both work now... but they only detect 320x200 software as a supported resolution. The games support resolutions up to 800x600 and d3d acceleration, neither which is available.

Planescape Torment works, but not GoG's build.

Icewind Dale II looks very close to perfect, but there's some really annoying cursor flickering. Performance is perfect though.

Reply 725 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It appears at once(the passport on the title screen is completely white),but if It works fine for you then It must be problem with my specs.Thank you.

It's strange... because the wrapper should give the same results (as for appearance) on each videocard since it uses the same guaranteed gpu features and runs on one code path. The only explanation could be that the texture for the passport couldn't be allocated for some reason and so only its diffuse lighting appears in place of that. But I see no reason for that, as you have 8GB vram.

I experimented a little with TR3, and found (and fixed) a bug: the game setup dialog is unreachable because the game crashes before it could even pop up. Also, if I force 8 bit textures, then 2D background textures are black. But otherwise it works ok without paletted textures.

MageSlayer and Take No Prisoners both work now... but they only detect 320x200 software as a supported resolution. The games support resolutions up to 800x600 and d3d acceleration, neither which is available.

Must be something with d3d device capability flags. I will check it.

Icewind Dale II looks very close to perfect, but there's some really annoying cursor flickering.

Yes, I know. I got strongly flicker-free cursor with unforced vSync though. Unfortunately it's a problem related to direct writing to the primary surface. The emulation cannot be as perfect as the native mechanism.

Reply 726 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:

Icewind Dale II looks very close to perfect, but there's some really annoying cursor flickering.

Yes, I know. I got strongly flicker-free cursor with unforced vSync though. Unfortunately it's a problem related to direct writing to the primary surface. The emulation cannot be as perfect as the native mechanism.

Can you explain what you mean with unenforced vSync? as far as I see the game has no native vsync support, so only vsync I can think of is either forcing it through dgVoodoo2... or forcing it through graphic driver (I could select let 3d application decide, but that would still be the driver handling vsync... I tried that of course).

Reply 728 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

TNT doesn't support 8bit textures. Geforce 256 was the first.
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/regist … ted_texture.txt

Thanks for the info!!
I don't know if Suzuki ran on a GeForce but in the worst case the game itself should be patched to avoid paletted textures.

Can you explain what you mean with unenforced vSync? as far as I see the game has no native vsync support, so only vsync I can think of is either forcing it through dgVoodoo2...

Sorry, I mean through dgVoodoo.
I usually enable 'Force vSync' for myself and first when I ran Icewind II I got a madly flashing cursor. But when I disabled it and ran Icewind again, flashing was gone.
(This is because drawing menu elements or cursors usually splits into more than one parts and dgVoodoo updates the screen after each finished part when the drawing is directly going to the screen (the primary surface in DDraw terminologies). However if vSync is forced then a complete screen refresh occurs at each step, that's why visible flashing or slow appearance is experienced. For example, I guess Icewind first restores the background behind the cursor (first step, screen refresh) then draws it to the new position (second step, screen refresh again), so the cursor-free state is clearly visible by eye.)

I've just fixed that. At least for Take No Prisoners.

Seeing what the code of MS DX does and what the games' code sometimes check against implies that DX code changed compared to a, say, Win98 version of DX. I guess a Win7 is not the best choice for reverse engineering DX, an old hw with a real Win98 would be the best.

Reply 729 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally I patched Suzuki Altare ER because I can't see any bug in the wrapper code.

If this game encounters a paletted texture format then it stores it and at a later point this is the only one available texture format for some reason.
But the game realizes that it cannot use that. 😀

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/SuzukiAlstareExtremeRacingPatch.zip

It works with the latest WIP.

Reply 730 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tried my Rally Challenge v1.2 (which looks like this http://s.ecrater.com/stores/88021/4c8ebcc5b0008_88021b.jpg) with dgVoodoo WIP5 and it still fails to start with the "DirectDraw Error: cannot attach pal to front buffer UNDEF. DD ERROR" and not closing the game in Task Manager.

I'll send you something to look at Dege...

Last edited by VirtuaIceMan on 2015-05-09, 16:01. Edited 1 time in total.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 732 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Steam versions of X-Wing, Tie Fighter and XvT have been released recently. In native DirectX only software mode is available. The games come with their own ddraw.dll wrapper and when you replace it with dgVoodoo's the games just fail to launch. However I managed to enable 3D mode using WineD3D so apperantly it hasn't been deactivated like the GoG edition and the problems with 3D acceleration are probably some sort of incompatibility.

Dege, can you take a look?

Reply 733 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Donnerschlag wrote:
Is there a way to get Shadow Company: Left for Dead to work with this? […]
Show full quote

Is there a way to get Shadow Company: Left for Dead to work with this?

CPU: Intel i7-4790K
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: 16Gb DDR3-1600
Chipset: Z97

Yes. It does not work with WIP5 but I tried with the latest build and it worked. It seems that a resolution related fix for TNP fixed this one too.
However the menu text/subtitles seem a bit unreadable, I don't know if it's normal, I couldn't run this game natively.
I also experienced some mouse problems but I don't know if it has to do with my multimonitor system.

Steam versions of X-Wing, Tie Fighter and XvT have been released recently. In native DirectX only software mode is available. The games come with their own ddraw.dll wrapper and when you replace it with dgVoodoo's the games just fail to launch. However I managed to enable 3D mode using WineD3D so apperantly it hasn't been deactivated like the GoG edition and the problems with 3D acceleration are probably some sort of incompatibility.

Yes, I could. It's a stupid question, but is there maybe a demo version of them? 😀

Reply 734 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

Yes, I could. It's a stupid question, but is there maybe a demo version of them? 😀

I don't think so. I know someone who owns all 3 games on Steam. I'll ask him if he could maybe set up a family sharing option for you. Do you already have Steam?

Reply 735 of 3949, by Donnerschlag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im kinda of new to all of this, what is WIP5 and TNP? Did you have to update the game to 1.3 or 1.31? I tried that Windows 7 patch from moddb and that didnt work.

Dege wrote:
Yes. It does not work with WIP5 but I tried with the latest build and it worked. It seems that a resolution related fix for TNP […]
Show full quote
Donnerschlag wrote:
Is there a way to get Shadow Company: Left for Dead to work with this? […]
Show full quote

Is there a way to get Shadow Company: Left for Dead to work with this?

CPU: Intel i7-4790K
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: 16Gb DDR3-1600
Chipset: Z97

Yes. It does not work with WIP5 but I tried with the latest build and it worked. It seems that a resolution related fix for TNP fixed this one too.
However the menu text/subtitles seem a bit unreadable, I don't know if it's normal, I couldn't run this game natively.
I also experienced some mouse problems but I don't know if it has to do with my multimonitor system.

Reply 737 of 3949, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Black squares on the water in Gruntz are gone, but borderless windows still kick the game out of a full screen mode.

Example:

Attachments

• GrntzO.png
    Filename
    GrntzO.png
    File size
    5.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111