VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 921 of 3949, by ricardokung

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Did you force the resolution through dgVoodoo setup?

Great, Dege. Now it works fine. There are some problems though. On the start screen we can't see the background and the HUD letters do not appear (you have to disable 3D to load or save). But the game runs fine with 3D Vision with adjustable depth and convergence. Thank you.

Reply 922 of 3949, by galneon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
Bad news: this game tries to initialize DDraw from DllMain... :dead: (3DMark does the same) which is not supported by dgVoodoo […]
Show full quote

Bad news: this game tries to initialize DDraw from DllMain... 😵 (3DMark does the same)
which is not supported by dgVoodoo because DX11 refuses to initialize in such circumstances.
It's a (really) bad programming technique and currently I have no idea how to workaround this case.
I think it would be better to patch the game itself somehow rather than adding support for this in dgVoodoo.

Thanks for looking into it. Just more incentive to go back to Windows 7 😉

Reply 924 of 3949, by Daxiongmao87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying (for a while now) to force resolutions for Starcraft using dgVoodoo 2. The wrapper seems to work -- the watermark displays, and window mode works pretty well -- but I can't seem to force the fullscreen mode beyond 800x600. An ideal workaround would be a borderless maximized window mode. Anyway is forcing fullscreen resolution a lacking feature or just bugged for Starcarft? Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: Spoke too soon, just read the Directx readme and saw that it's disabled in this version. I hope this changes soon! Otherwise, awesome wrapper 😀

Reply 925 of 3949, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Streets of SimShitty works......sort of

- Menus - color palettes are wrong with text colors, intro video still screwed up palettewise. Invoking the file selector (with Player's Choice or Load Game) will cause the game to crash and not actually bring up the window. GDI evilery possibly
- -o0 software mode: It no longer CRASHES! though the framerate is still super high breaking game physics making the game unplayable. Color palettes sitll wrong with text colors and the radar. Win or lose in software mode, the resulting video is black.
- Glide mode - successfully switches to Glide, things look proper, game actually plays at 30fps and the physics aren't bad. BUT it fatally crashes switching back to DirectDraw to access the ingame menu. It also crashes if you win or fail.

Original unpatched Oct 1997 CD release tested on Win7 x64. dgV 2.44

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 926 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Daxiongmao87 wrote:

I've been trying (for a while now) to force resolutions for Starcraft using dgVoodoo 2. The wrapper seems to work -- the watermark displays, and window mode works pretty well -- but I can't seem to force the fullscreen mode beyond 800x600. An ideal workaround would be a borderless maximized window mode. Anyway is forcing fullscreen resolution a lacking feature or just bugged for Starcarft? Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: Spoke too soon, just read the Directx readme and saw that it's disabled in this version. I hope this changes soon! Otherwise, awesome wrapper 😀

Forcing resolution doesn't make sense for StarCraft. It's all 2D graphics. What are you hoping to get out if it?

Reply 927 of 3949, by galneon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
Daxiongmao87 wrote:

Forcing resolution doesn't make sense for StarCraft. It's all 2D graphics. What are you hoping to get out if it?

Perhaps he wants to integer scale to 1600x1200? (This assumes SC's native resolution is the 800x600 he mentioned--I really don't know.)

Reply 930 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not knowing what resolution StarCraft was running at was why I thought he had no idea what he was talking about and probably confused about what forcing resolution would do: at most change the scaling algorithm. The game will still look the same.

You can do clean integer scaling of StarCraft with ddhack, dxwnd and a hacked version of cnc-ddraw that's available somewhere. No clue how well any of them get along with battle.net

Reply 931 of 3949, by Daxiongmao87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
Daxiongmao87 wrote:

I'm only interested in scaling the screen to 1920x1080 for the sake of my home entertainment center, even if the game is still truly operating in 640x480 (or 800x600 according to my projector's info). I'm aware that forcing the game into a different aspect ratio will skew the image when scaled, but this bothers me a lot less than the huge black bars on the left and right of my projector screenl the former ultimately looks better than the latter with Steam Big Picture Mode. To be honest, this is just a matter of preference, and I deeply appreciate the author's work, but I think this is a feature that he intends to implement (maybe)? Maximized borderless Window mode is also something that I think would work.

Reply 932 of 3949, by Daxiongmao87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Not knowing what resolution StarCraft was running at was why I thought he had no idea what he was talking about and probably confused about what forcing resolution would do: at most change the scaling algorithm. The game will still look the same.

You can do clean integer scaling of StarCraft with ddhack, dxwnd and a hacked version of cnc-ddraw that's available somewhere. No clue how well any of them get along with battle.net

I've yet to try ddhack or dxwnd, I'll give these a try! Thank you or he suggestions

Reply 933 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jcgo16 wrote:
i tried dgvoodoo 2 for ddraw but when i tried to login, it goes to window mode i think there's a conflict with the IE calls inga […]
Show full quote

i tried dgvoodoo 2 for ddraw but when i tried to login, it goes to window mode
i think there's a conflict with the IE calls ingame *just my theory

Game: O2Jam

http://o2jam.intgamerz.net

sometimes it lags

It's not an IE incompatibility problem.
The problem is that DXGI automatically switches off from fullscreen to windowed mode if it detects that a window occludes the one used for fullscreen, or when the application gets into a non-respondig state so it's by design by MS.
When the window containing the user list (an IE window) popped up the game switched back to windowed mode and I couldn't switch it back on the same monitor.
Well, another argument for borderless windowed fullscreen...

Reply 935 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jcgo16 wrote:

hmm, so no more fix for that right?

Yes, unfortunately... 🙁
Your best choice is using it in maximized windowed mode, I think.

Streets of SimShitty works......sort of […]
Show full quote

Streets of SimShitty works......sort of

- Menus - color palettes are wrong with text colors, intro video still screwed up palettewise. Invoking the file selector (with Player's Choice or Load Game) will cause the game to crash and not actually bring up the window. GDI evilery possibly
- -o0 software mode: It no longer CRASHES! though the framerate is still super high breaking game physics making the game unplayable. Color palettes sitll wrong with text colors and the radar. Win or lose in software mode, the resulting video is black.
- Glide mode - successfully switches to Glide, things look proper, game actually plays at 30fps and the physics aren't bad. BUT it fatally crashes switching back to DirectDraw to access the ingame menu. It also crashes if you win or fail.

Indeed... One thing is still to be refactored in the DDI. The interface has some old misconcepts about rendering windows that I introduced when I implemented the first version of DDraw.
It would be nice to address that along with the GDI interaction. But I don't know if include that in the current version or release the current one as a new version and address the issue later.

BTW, I can't see any difference between Empire Earth and Empire Earth Art Of the Conquest. Both of them use the same rendering engine, the menus of them looks the same, I have no rendering problems with them.

Reply 936 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

BTW, I can't see any difference between Empire Earth and Empire Earth Art Of the Conquest. Both of them use the same rendering engine, the menus of them looks the same, I have no rendering problems with them.

The only thing I can possibly think of is the fact I have an AMD card - specifically, an AMD R9 270 - and you use an NVIDIA or Intel card on your machine. While there aren't (or shouldn't) be nearly as many discrepancies between their DX11 implementations as their OpenGL implementations, there are differences. For instance, from all the issues I keep reading about with the feature, ATI/AMD's surface format optimization setting seems to frequently cause texture issues - but keep in mind this is mostly with pre-2006 games, which I predominately own. I actually tried disabling surface format optimization with Empire Earth, but I still have the problems described and shown with those games.

Reply 938 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jcgo16 wrote:

how to do that dege, because when i do window mode on maximized, it goes to upper left corner, and loses focus again

Disable the both
- "Application controlled fullscreen/windowed state"
- "Disable Alt-Enter to toggle screen state"

and set appearance to windowed in the setup.

If the window restores after maximizing then maximize it again, and it should work. 😀