VOGONS

First post, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some notes about this game. Both D3D8 and D3D9 renders seem to work fine. Resolution forcing works in the D3D9 render:

ut2004-win64 2019-07-05 17-01-43-22.jpg
Filename
ut2004-win64 2019-07-05 17-01-43-22.jpg
File size
1007.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

But not in the D3D8 render:

UT2004 2019-07-05 17-05-33-00.jpg
Filename
UT2004 2019-07-05 17-05-33-00.jpg
File size
920.11 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The reasons you would want to use resolution forcing are quite minor, most of the UI scales properly and nothing is hard to see at 4K, it just makes the UI scaling look more consistent.

If you want to use the D3D8 render in high-resolution, you'll have to resort to d3d8to9 and Universal Resolution Changer (click utilities). Also if you want to play this game in widescreen I recommend foxWSFix (fixes weapons FOV in widescreen) and HUD Scaling Fix (fixes HUD aspect ratio in widescreen, mutator so server must have it).

For 4K I also recommend opening the game's ini file (UT2004.ini or ut2004-win64.ini) and changing all instances of DefaultTexMipBias=-0.5 to DefaultTexMipBias=0.0, the default mipmap settings looks bad at 4K.

Image looks very washed out with dgVoodoo, but changing gamma in-game to 0.8 makes it look the same as native.

Tank zoom + being hurt at the same time seems to glitch out the screen a lot. It isn't a dgVoodoo issue (same natively, same with OpenGL render) and seems to go away when downsampling from 8K but that comes with a performance drop. You'd think it was just high FPS related, but a framerate limiter doesn't fix it. Anyone run into this? It's especially noticeable in AS-RobotFactory.

Reply 1 of 6, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gamma issues was apparently a Nvidia driver bug, clean reinstall fixed it. Still curious why resolution forcing doesn't work. Not important though as there's another method for it that works just fine.

Reply 2 of 6, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I reinstalled this game, and my solution (d3d8to9 + URC) is still the best way to force resolution for this game. Because unfortunately, while 2.7 actually made resolution forcing work in the 32-bit D3D8 render, it has shadow artifacts.

The artifacts seems unrelated to getting the resolution forcing to work though, as the 64-bit D3D9 render has the same problem. But the resolution forcing worked fine for that render in 2.62.2, before it broke in 2.63 with the exact same issue.

So an improvement that can't be taken advantage of because of a regression 🙁.

Reply 3 of 6, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also on the gamma issues, the issue there was pretty simple. dgVoodoo opted for a 59.94hz refresh rate, while native used 60.00hz, not sure how the latest version of dgVoodoo does it. Nvidia drivers see 59.94Hz as a TV mode and sets output dynamic range to limited, rather than full. Fixing it can be done by going to Nvidia Control Panel > Change resolution > Set "Use NVIDIA color settings" (rather than default) and set Output dynamic range to always be full.

Reply 4 of 6, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know why the general resolution upscale got fixed, and even, what was the cause of the problem. I remember it but never looked into it.

However, you can disable option DirectXExt\RTTexturesForceScaleAndMSAA for this game to disable upscaling the shadow textures, the cause of the shadow artifact.
I've just tried it with the debug layer and it didn't complain about it + the shadows seemed to have no edge-artifacts.

But the resolution forcing worked fine for that render in 2.62.2, before it broke in 2.63 with the exact same issue.

That was the version where I changed the scaling formulas a little bit. That's where Splinter Cell light aura "got broken" too. 😐

Reply 5 of 6, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote on 2021-07-02, 16:05:

However, you can disable option DirectXExt\RTTexturesForceScaleAndMSAA for this game to disable upscaling the shadow textures, the cause of the shadow artifact.
I've just tried it with the debug layer and it didn't complain about it + the shadows seemed to have no edge-artifacts.

You know, I did try that with the D3D9 render. It did not work, but I tried it again now and it works for the D3D8 render. Just not the D3D9 render.

I also figured out while testing that the annoying faulty view shaking is way less frequent in the D3D9 render (again: not a dgVoodoo issue), so maybe I'll just use the D3D9 render + an old dgVoodoo version. At least until I remember why the D3D9 render was terrible.

Reply 6 of 6, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2021-07-02, 17:29:

I also figured out while testing that the annoying faulty view shaking is way less frequent in the D3D9 render

Well I hoped that was the case. It isn't. The view shaking, to illustrate what I mean:
https://youtu.be/AVOhe7qHPuQ?t=226 (note how the entire screen shakes whenever he gets hit, not the red arrows).
The reason that looked to be fixed in the D3D9 render was because the 64-bit version uses a different ut2004-win64.ini , and that had a lower difficulty set. Why is that screen flashing dependent on difficulty? Maybe it happens more when the middle of the tank is hit and the bots are more accurate? I'm really not sure why that would be the case since there really isn't critical hits for tanks... I should setup a multiplayer game to test if it's actually that or some weird malfunction with the bot code.