VOGONS

First post, by itsnotaname

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There appears to be an issue with a memory leak when using dgVoodoo with FFXI. For comparison's sake, a game running without dgVoodoo will usually consistently use up around 250~300 MB. Using dgvoodoo, the memory used by the game slowly climbs up up to 600+ MB, and then randomly drops several hundred MB. However, the total amount of memory used reported by Windows 10 does not decrease, and slowly keeps going up and up.

Over a week or so it'll go from about ~30% to 70+%, and shutting down the game completely does not free up the memory used. When not using dgVoodoo, this does not happen.

I saw that there was an update that was supposed to address a memory leak (2.55.4.1), primarily for third party tools. Although I do not use any, I tried it out, with no change. I recently upgraded to 2.6, and the behavior still persists.

Reply 1 of 2, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Over a week or so it'll go from about ~30% to 70+%, and shutting down the game completely does not free up the memory used.

Killing the process should infer freeing all of the memory (on the OS side) it leaked.

Using dgvoodoo, the memory used by the game slowly climbs up up to 600+ MB, and then randomly drops several hundred MB.

Is video memory counted into the total amount of memory reported?
I ask it because according to my experience mechanism of caching the video memory (at least for D3D11) at OS level lets the cache go up to some large threshold and it only gets freed after exceeding the limit. Back some time ago when I experimented with this, releasing a D3D11 object (texture or sg) didn't cause the reported video memory to decrease at all (I think it's optimized for on-the-fly Create/Release usage patterns).

Reply 2 of 2, by itsnotaname

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm aware it's supposed to free up the memory on shutdown, but for whatever reason... it doesn't always properly do this. It's rather noticable as I tend to have to restart my computer every so often due to it, but never had it happen without dgVoodoo, so I'm not sure what else could be the problem.

Unsure how video memory is counted, since it reports both dedicated and shared GPU memory, although the memory usage I was reporting earlier was for the executable itself as reported by task manager. Dedicated is definitely not included as I managed to run that up to 3+ GB in a failed attempt at trying to forcefully replicate the issue with memory not freeing up on shutdown. Shared memory tends to sit at 0.0~0.2 GB no matter what.