VOGONS

First post, by noli44

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Recently I've been trying to run Motocross Madness 2 with dgVoodoo.
It only seems compatible with dgVoodoo v2.42 up to v2.54, with any newer version all textures are blank and the menu is really messed up.
But with the compatible versions, the terrain textures are rendered at a very low resolution which is really distracting. I tried both in-game options (single pass/dual pass).
Without dgVoodoo the terrain textures are rendered beautifully but then I can only select 640x480 as display resolution.

Any advice? 😀

Ps. does anybody know how to take screenshots in this game with dgVoodoo?

Reply 1 of 8, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I gave it a quick try with 2.62.1 to check it out and make sure and it worked properly (as it should, because I tested all my games with 2.6).

Use the built-in game bar in Windows, pop it up with Windows+G shortcut and you can make captures:
Microsoft-Motocross-Madness-2-2019-10-30-17-42-42.png
Microsoft-Motocross-Madness-2-2019-10-30-17-42-02.png

Reply 2 of 8, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
https://i.postimg.cc/WhSX3KVT/Microsoft-Motocross-Madness-2-2019-10-30-17-42-02.png […]
Show full quote

Microsoft-Motocross-Madness-2-2019-10-30-17-42-02.png

Ths screenshots seems to show texture with low detail and not texture with high detail.

Reply 3 of 8, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
noli44 wrote:

It only seems compatible with dgVoodoo v2.42 up to v2.54, with any newer version all textures are blank and the menu is really messed up.

Radeon bug, I guess.

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 4 of 8, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Terrain texture with native acceleration
Sans-titre.jpg

with dgvoodoo 2.61
Sans-titre.jpg

Terrain texture are more high detail than with dgvoodoo2

The problem is that without dgvoodoo 2, the only resolution available is 640x480.

Reply 5 of 8, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, indeed.
I cannot test it natively because the game just silently crashes at startup.
However, I think I know what's going on here: terrain is composed of 2 textures, a low-res base one combined with a spotty detail texture.
Amongst the advanced graphics options there are single-pass and dual-pass terrain rendering.
- Single pass is disabled with 256 MB video memory in dgVoodoo
- Dual pass produces the lowres texture without the detail texture

With 1024 MB single pass gets enabled. It doesn't work through dgVoodoo though because the game uses a weird FVF code for the draw methods and dgVoodoo treats it invalid.
I experimentally 'fixed' it and now terrain is ok with single pass.
My question is: how does the terrain look natively with dual pass? (I guess it should look the same, but just to make sure…)

Reply 6 of 8, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

Thanks, indeed.
I cannot test it natively because the game just silently crashes at startup.

Which is your graphics cards?
With a gtx780 or a rtx2060, it functions.

Dege wrote:
However, I think I know what's going on here: terrain is composed of 2 textures, a low-res base one combined with a spotty detai […]
Show full quote

However, I think I know what's going on here: terrain is composed of 2 textures, a low-res base one combined with a spotty detail texture.
Amongst the advanced graphics options there are single-pass and dual-pass terrain rendering.
- Single pass is disabled with 256 MB video memory in dgVoodoo
- Dual pass produces the lowres texture without the detail texture

With 1024 MB single pass gets enabled. It doesn't work through dgVoodoo though because the game uses a weird FVF code for the draw methods and dgVoodoo treats it invalid.
I experimentally 'fixed' it and now terrain is ok with single pass.
My question is: how does the terrain look natively with dual pass? (I guess it should look the same, but just to make sure…)

Dual or single pass, terrain texture is the same in native acceleration.