VOGONS

First post, by Delfino Furioso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Dege!

Just out of curiosity..
Have you ever considered (or have you ever been asked to) adding a "opengl-to-d3d" functionality to dgVoodoo?
Would that be challenging? In what way?

Thank you! Keep up the good work!

Reply 1 of 11, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was already asked long ago but as always, it'd be a lot of work and time is my enemy.
OGL 2+ were challenging anyway because of translating GLSL...

Btw, there is a MS project going for translating OGL to D3D12 for WSL2. So, I think my impl were needless by now.

Reply 3 of 11, by batterymandark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think the most attractive feature would be upscaling , like when you run the game at lower res and output to your native res, to get your 2d elements such as HUD to appear scaled, but your 3d is at your native res.
So for me i wouldn't care about a translation, but rather the scaleup trick.
i mean just try to play HL1 in 4k..or 5k in my end, good lord.. 😁

Reply 4 of 11, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DxWnd and Peixoto's patches can both do that, both are actively maintained so if some game doesn't work with them you can try asking their developers about it.

Here's the Steam version of Half-Life running in 4K with proper UI scaling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVQzGo-Lkog
(the WON version is trickier, possible, but annoying, the recent fan patch update might be helpful though).

Reply 9 of 11, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote on 2020-09-15, 07:21:

(the WON version is trickier, possible, but annoying, the recent fan patch update might be helpful though).

The most annoying thing in the WON version is the moving Half-Life text. It is based on SysAnimate32, and it doesn't want to get scaled and returns to whatever the original resolution was. DirectX versions are still runnable when you add some DirectDraw supplement to the game, but overall OpenGL felt more accessible and supported by different systems.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 10 of 11, by ``~Scre@m~``

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was able to run OpenGL via dgVoodoo by using old WickedGL wrappers for Glide..
There are a few downsides though, like being limited to 16bit palette, scaling may not exactly work properly based on a game and some textures having blue-rave-seizures (mostly seen when playing cs_havana)..

Ive mostly tested this with half life, both steam (older protocol version 47) and WON version. The game's console reports OpenGL version as 1.1. So, my assumption, is that, specifically, for older games up to quake 2, you actually don't need to implement OpenGL 2 support with "GLSL".

btw, the reason why i didn't use D3D with dgVoodoo is because it doesnt want to wrap itself. and I'm definitely not touching the "OLE dll" thing.

Last edited by ``~Scre@m~`` on 2023-09-07, 11:31. Edited 2 times in total.